Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Noel autograph signing controversy

Featured Replies

And while I don't necessarily agree with the paying for autographs in schools, I also don't agree with the idea that it's rubbing it in the "poor" kids faces. Sure, not every kid will be able to purchase an autographed item, but to me that is no different than some kids being able to pay to go on field trips, buy school gear (sweatshirts, t-shirts, etc), or buying yearbooks...

 

This.

  • Replies 41
  • Views 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't like it one bit.

Would most agree that it is not on the player but the school and administration to make this decision? I am fine with those that disagree with the charging of autographs in schools. I completely see your point, but shouldn't the school administration provide these guidelines and decisions. I don't completely see the point in putting the blame on the athletes.

Edited by hoopsr1
Clarification

"Just because you played for UK doesn’t make you a god."

 

Don't forget this guy makes his living writing about these guys who do not get paid. Why does't he just do it for free?

 

Stop. Please stop. Nobody who accepts a scholarship for life to play for UK basketball ever hurts, unless they crap in their own bed like Richie did. I've seen more than my fair share of active UK players doing business at the $50 minimum windows at Keeneland to not feel sorry for how much they're hurting in their college poverty.

Question: How do those of you who have had one of your children attend one of the Calipari Satellite Camps feel about this? Those take place at schools, and kids are charged at a similar escalating rate whether they buy a poster, T-shirt or basketball.

 

Full disclosure: These events occur during the summer, when school is not in session. The obvious difference is those who can't afford it aren't there to watch the largesse.

I think the author is spot on. If you can't afford the merchandise, then sign a program or piece of paper for free. This is not acceptable in a school in my opinion. Bengals and Reds players come to schools all the time in the tri-state and charge nothing. They will autograph occasionally for free, usually jerseys or hats. I went with some Covington students to Dick's at Kenwood last Christmas with a community and school sponsored function. AJ Green, Andy Dalton, Carlos Dunlap, Jermaine Gresham, and Green-Ellis each had 3-4 kids they took through the store that the Marvin Lewis Foundation purchased merchandise for them. Every one of these guys went beyond the alloted amount from the Foundation and purchased for the kids what they wanted. AJ Green purchased each kid a bike and I saw him use his own credit card for them. Gresham was taking a kid through the store who was really shy and the kid didn't want much. He pulled $100 bill from his wallet and gave it to the kid. I know these guys can easily afford to do this, but they didn't have to. It amazes me stories like this don't hit the papers, but this does. I imagine Noel already has millions he has access to in some endorsement, insurance, or agent upfront $$, he didn't need to do this even though he was probably told to by someone representing him. He could still say no, though. I know he isn't the only one, but it would be nice to see one of these athletes say, hey I am not charging, I am doing it for the kids.

I think the author is spot on. If you can't afford the merchandise, then sign a program or piece of paper for free. This is not acceptable in a school in my opinion. Bengals and Reds players come to schools all the time in the tri-state and charge nothing. They will autograph occasionally for free, usually jerseys or hats. I went with some Covington students to Dick's at Kenwood last Christmas with a community and school sponsored function. AJ Green, Andy Dalton, Carlos Dunlap, Jermaine Gresham, and Green-Ellis each had 3-4 kids they took through the store that the Marvin Lewis Foundation purchased merchandise for them. Every one of these guys went beyond the alloted amount from the Foundation and purchased for the kids what they wanted. AJ Green purchased each kid a bike and I saw him use his own credit card for them. Gresham was taking a kid through the store who was really shy and the kid didn't want much. He pulled $100 bill from his wallet and gave it to the kid. I know these guys can easily afford to do this, but they didn't have to. It amazes me stories like this don't hit the papers, but this does. I imagine Noel already has millions he has access to in some endorsement, insurance, or agent upfront $$, he didn't need to do this even though he was probably told to by someone representing him. He could still say no, though. I know he isn't the only one, but it would be nice to see one of these athletes say, hey I am not charging, I am doing it for the kids.

 

 

In Noel's defense he's still a kid in a sense and has been listening to adults tell him what to do for his whole life. If someone told him to do this he may not be at the point in his life where he fels comfortable telling an elder person "no". As time goes on and he matures then I'd imagine that he'd take a different stance on situations like this.

Stop. Please stop. Nobody who accepts a scholarship for life to play for UK basketball ever hurts, unless they crap in their own bed like Richie did. I've seen more than my fair share of active UK players doing business at the $50 minimum windows at Keeneland to not feel sorry for how much they're hurting in their college poverty.

 

My main point was not about them "hurting." But maybe with these autograph session and barnstorming tours is one reason they do not hurt as much as players from other state schools. My point was this guy profits from them, then he takes the Holier Than Thou stance about what they should do for free.

Since when does $20 make you rich?

 

This is all crap, if the school felt like kids being singled out they wouldn't have allowed it in the first place. If a kid wants a players autograph that bad, hang outside of the coal lodge for an hour and you can get the whole damn team to sign whatever. This is a way bigger deal than it needs to be.

My main point was not about them "hurting." But maybe with these autograph session and barnstorming tours is one reason they do not hurt as much as players from other state schools. My point was this guy profits from them, then he takes the Holier Than Thou stance about what they should do for free.

 

Small-town papers don't have the resources to cover much of anything other than what goes on inside the borders of their coverage area/county. I can assure you nobody's getting a subscription to the London Sentinel-Echo for their coverage of UK sports.

Small-town papers don't have the resources to cover much of anything other than what goes on inside the borders of their coverage area/county. I can assure you nobody's getting a subscription to the London Sentinel-Echo for their coverage of UK sports.
True, they spend too much time and column inches covering WWE Wrasslin to waste time on UK, EKU or any other local university.
True, they spend too much time and column inches covering WWE Wrasslin to waste time on UK, EKU or any other local university.

 

Well, Denis is a big fan, and let's be honest, there's a lot of 'rasslin fans in Laurel Co. And you can get your UK or EKU news in a variety of other places.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.