Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Kentucky Recruiting 2015

Featured Replies

 

Kansas is the only Adidas school left on his list...

 

Is he an addidas kid? I remember Ricky P saying UL was at a dissadvantage due to their affiliation with addidas.

  • Replies 1.2k
  • Views 159.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is he an addidas kid? I remember Ricky P saying UL was at a dissadvantage due to their affiliation with addidas.

 

Has played for Ohio Basketball Club (OBC) which has been a flagship Adidas program for years.

 

For the most part Adidas does a horrible job playing the recruiting game, but there have been some elite guys that stay in the brand. Nike and Under Armor do a MUCH better job keeping their guys in the family...

Yep it's killed Kansas recruiting

 

Kansas is a bit of an outlier because Self is a Nike guy so he hasn't had to deal with some of the in house Adidas issues...

 

Has played for Ohio Basketball Club (OBC) which has been a flagship Adidas program for years.

 

For the most part Adidas does a horrible job playing the recruiting game, but there have been some elite guys that stay in the brand. Nike and Under Armor do a MUCH better job keeping their guys in the family...

 

It's a shame it has come to that.

It's a shame it has come to that.

 

Disagree. There is a LOT of cash spent on developing guys like Bragg. From the Nike Global Challenge to Adidas Nations to the UA Elite 24 game, each AAU circuit and so on. I see nothing wrong with wanting the guys that have gained from these huge investments to stay in the family. Most have become the player they are in large part because of the training, competition and exposure given to them by the people sponsoring their development...

 

Disagree. There is a LOT of cash spent on developing guys like Bragg. From the Nike Global Challenge to Adidas Nations to the UA Elite 24 game, each AAU circuit and so on. I see nothing wrong with wanting the guys that have gained from these huge investments to stay in the family. Most have become the player they are in large part because of the training, competition and exposure given to them by the people sponsoring their development...

 

 

That is exactly my issue with high level aau ball. They influence kids for their own monetary prosperity. They all want kids to go to said "family" so that the aau circuit can have a piece of the pie. What ever happened to a kid being a great athlete and being recruited by a good school, due to his ability, not what brand of shoe he wears?

 

No offense to you gametime, I know you are involved in the aau circuit, and I'm not against aau ball at all. I do have some issues with the top tier of it though, as it seems to be more about the potential money than the kids.

That is exactly my issue with high level aau ball. They influence kids for their own monetary prosperity. They all want kids to go to said "family" so that the aau circuit can have a piece of the pie. What ever happened to a kid being a great athlete and being recruited by a good school, due to his ability, not what brand of shoe he wears?

 

It's life, what can you do about it?

 

It's life, what can you do about it?

 

Nothing at all, but I do have some issues with it. I'm also willing to acknowledge that it works out in uk's favors more often than not. But that still doesn't make it right.

That is exactly my issue with high level aau ball. They influence kids for their own monetary prosperity. They all want kids to go to said "family" so that the aau circuit can have a piece of the pie. What ever happened to a kid being a great athlete and being recruited by a good school, due to his ability, not what brand of shoe he wears?

 

No offense to you gametime, I know you are involved in the aau circuit, and I'm not against aau ball at all. I do have some issues with the top tier of it though, as it seems to be more about the potential money than the kids.

 

Would you expect Nike, Adidas and Under Armor to invest millions upon millions with no monetary return? And if you eliminate them, who do you fill that massive void with when it comes to player development?

 

I get why the concept can get under the skin of those on the outside looking in, but I don't see things getting better if those investing the most in the system are taken out of the equation.

 

It is easy to say the shoe companies should expect nothing in return for the millions upon millions they invest in the development of kids at the highest level, but that makes zero sense to me...

No they didn't...

Maybe true.. From what I can gather,, I believe Bragg was option C behind Zimmerman and Diallo.. Maybe not.. But I would rather have those 2 over him.. Maybe Bragg sees that too? Thinking Cal wanted him to wait a little longer see how things shape up.

 

Would you expect Nike, Adidas and Under Armor to invest millions upon millions with no monetary return? And if you eliminate them, who do you fill that massive void with when it comes to player development?

 

I get why the concept can get under the skin of those on the outside looking in, but I don't see things getting better if those investing the most in the system are taken out of the equation.

 

It is easy to say the shoe companies should expect nothing in return for the millions upon millions they invest in the development of kids at the highest level, but that makes zero sense to me...

 

 

They make millions upon millions anyway, due to the all star games and such. That doesn't mean they should get into influencing the kids to go to a particular school, so they can eventually make even more money off that kid.

 

I understand that aau helps develop kids, but it doesn't need to influence them, that's where I have an issue. Kids knew how to play basketball well before aau, I think the colleges could survive without it and do just fine. When aau started, it was for player development. These days its to develope players so the aau circuit can cash in on them in the long run. It's became a business, which throws the "its for the kids" out the window.

Maybe true.. From what I can gather,, I believe Bragg was option C behind Zimmerman and Diallo.. Maybe not.. But I would rather have those 2 over him.. Maybe Bragg sees that too? Thinking Cal wanted him to wait a little longer see how things shape up.

 

You are fairly new, so I'll cut you a little slack. That said, the "what I'm hearing" and "from what I can gather" recruiting lines don't fly with me. If you are speaking to the staffs at UK, Kansas or Illinois, Bragg or his guardian Michael Graves have at it. Reading Twitter and team sites doesn't qualify... :thumb:

They make millions upon millions anyway, due to the all star games and such. That doesn't mean they should get into influencing the kids to go to a particular school, so they can eventually make even more money off that kid.

 

I understand that aau helps develop kids, but it doesn't need to influence them, that's where I have an issue. Kids knew how to play basketball well before aau, I think the colleges could survive without it and do just fine. When aau started, it was for player development. These days its to develope players so the aau circuit can cash in on them in the long run. It's became a business, which throws the "its for the kids" out the window.

 

All three shoe companies lose large amounts of money sponsoring grassroots basketball. Do you really think ESPN is paying millions to show the EYBL Finals that get a 0.3 rating at best? They invest in the system to develop the kids that will be wearing their shoes and gear at the college level and maybe beyond if all goes as well as humanly possible.

 

Like I said, I get why an outsiders view is skeptical, but the system would be broken completely without the money provided by Nike, Adidas and Under Armor. If the end result is certain kids end up going to college for free at one high major program over another so be it...

 

All three shoe companies lose large amounts of money sponsoring grassroots basketball. Do you really think ESPN is paying millions to show the EYBL Finals that get a 0.3 rating at best? They invest in the system to develop the kids that will be wearing their shoes and gear at the college level and maybe beyond if all goes as well as humanly possible.

 

Like I said, I get why an outsiders view is skeptical, but the system would be broken completely without the money provided by Nike, Adidas and Under Armor. If the end result is certain kids end up going to college for free at one high major program over another so be it...

 

It worked before, why wouldn't it now? Again, top tier aau ball has become a business, much more than developing the kids. Otherwise you wouldnt keep mentioning all of the money invested. Do you really think I believe they invested that money for the kids? No, they invested the money, to make more money. You gotta spend it to make it.

 

My issue isn't the business aspect of it, but the aspect that they influence the kids to choose said school so their affiliation makes money from it. You have to remember, these are high school kids, not adults.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.