Hank Jr or DAC? Who Ya Got?

Clyde

Some will remember a thread a few months ago where I said that Hank Jr was an overrated hack (or something like that). I obviously was in the minority.

I was watching a George Jr video tonight and came across a David Allan Coe video - "The Ride."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1IoLMqpRY4

I like DAC much more than Hank Jr.

So...you can only pick one. Who ya got?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's one DAC album out there I guess you can call underground, have you guys ever heard that gem? It's called XXX or something like that, it's pure comedy mixed with thumping country twang.
That was the stuff he wrote while he was in prison.

I like them both. I liked Hank Jr a lot more years ago, but he has turned into a buffoon when he performs now. Can't stand to see him perform anymore, looks like he doesn't know what to do with his hands and then in every song he pulls his hat brim down over his head.

DAC is pretty much today who he has always been.

That was the stuff he wrote while he was in prison.

You may be right but I don't ever remember hearing he wrote the underground stuff while in prison. I thought he wrote a couple of albums he released in the late 60s long before the underground stuff.

On a side note, some of the underground stuff is really rough and I am sure many people think DAC is racist, sexist, etc. as a result of that music but I want to offer one however. At least one of the songs could/should/whatever word you want to use here be considered racist/anti-black/etc. However, for a period of time DAC had a black drummer in his band.