Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Russ Smith Returning to Louisville

Featured Replies

My guess remains that he saw the writing on the wall for being an undersized guy in today's NBA anyway. If he wasn't going to get guaranteed money from a draft deal, then head back to school and improve the things that will help you make a good roster in Europe 12 months later. I'm not saying that's a great plan, but it's something.

 

Plus he will have a college degree to fall back on, if/when his basketball days are over. Smart move IMO.

  • Replies 66
  • Views 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You have to. It puts your five best on the court.

 

Louisville would like four things from their center:

 

On defense, they need a rim defender and someone athletic enough to cover the back of the press.

 

On offense, they need someone who can draw defenders from under the basket and can follow the guards on the pick and roll.

 

Harrell is the only one who gives you a shot at that. SVT is probably the safest choice, but Harrell give you the higher ceiling.

Gotta find a big that can shoot from the elbow to the top of the key...it opens everything up.

Gotta find a big that can shoot from the elbow to the top of the key...it opens everything up.

 

That's the plan. They'd also like Chane to be able to step out from under the goal, but Harrell is further along.

Might be a different thread but I think it is a shame that Goodwin left and Russ is staying. I'd take Russ over Goodwin without question. Granted I am not an NBA GM or anything like that but I like Russ' game better than Goodwin's.

Might be a different thread but I think it is a shame that Goodwin left and Russ is staying. I'd take Russ over Goodwin without question. Granted I am not an NBA GM or anything like that but I like Russ' game better than Goodwin's.

 

Who knows? My guess is that Goodwin is a safer bet to have a longer tenure in the MBA because he's an athletic wing. Martell Webster's career was about six years too long. Smith is going to have to have some immediate success to stay in the league because of his measurables. Both are below average NBA prospects IMO.

Who knows? My guess is that Goodwin is a safer bet to have a longer tenure in the MBA because he's an athletic wing. Martell Webster's career was about six years too long. Smith is going to have to have some immediate success to stay in the league because of his measurables. Both are below average NBA prospects IMO.

 

I definitely agree. I just think 3-4 years of college would have Goodwin more than a project.

I have no problem with Russ staying at the Ville, but I still don't think it makes much business sense.

 

However, I will tip my cap to the kid and he will enjoy another year as BMOC.

 

People thinking he will improve shot selection and point guard skills in one year is asking a lot. That is just my opinion. A point guard or really good point guards have an innate ability, and Russ is a shooting guard well beyond a point guard. Much of it is a mindset.

He is Russdiculous, that is what makes him fun to watch and tough to guard. That is what makes him a good, but at time strange player. You are not going to fix his shot selection going into a year in which he will likely be looked upon to score more.

 

As for next year, as RP mentioned they are going to need that 4 or 5 man to be able to step out and hit that 15 footer. Behanan has never been that type of player and more or less lives off the glass or in a run out sitch. GT can attest to that.

 

What do they do at point guard? They have a couple of capable guards, but Pitino has not had a lot of success with first year point guards. Im thinking out loud, but can't really think of any. It took Siva literally 2.5 years to become the PG wanted or at least with any consistency.

 

It will be interesting to see what they do defensively. Will they still matchup in zone in the halfcourt without a shot blocker in paint which allows for overplays at guard spots? They will not be long if Harrell and Behanan play together.

 

Easy top five team, but the loss of Siva and Dieng are deeper than many think.

Archie Goodwin 2012-13

 

14.1 points per game, 4.6 rebounds, 26% from deep, 64% from the stripe (on over 200 attempts no less!) 1.1 steals, 2.9 fouls, and 101 turnovers to 88 assists

 

Russ Smith in 2012-13

 

18.7 points per game, 3.3 rebounds, 33% from three, 80% from the stripe (also on volume attempts of course) 2.1 steals, 2.6 fouls, and 116 assists over 108 turnovers.

 

Is this really a discussion? Goodwin doesn't do anything good enough to make it in the league. He's younger than Russ and he's taller, but it's not like Archie Goodwin is going to be posting up NBA guards any time soon. I personally think long term Russ is the better prospect (but then I would, right?)

Two points to consider, when you are basing your consideration on players heading to the NBA. Goodwin is four years younger than Smith and four inches taller. Goodwin is not that bad of a player and his ceiling is significantly higher than Smith's. Being taller doesn't mean you are posting people up, it gives you an advantage so you can get your shot off against opposing players, it allows you to create some resistance in iso situations on the floor defensively.

Goodwin should have never went and is immature, but this year he was not on a very good team.

 

I like Smith, heck I can't stand the Ville, but their team was a likeable team this year.

As for next year, as RP mentioned they are going to need that 4 or 5 man to be able to step out and hit that 15 footer. Behanan has never been that type of player and more or less lives off the glass or in a run out sitch. GT can attest to that.

Harrell developing his jumper has been part of the long term plan. During the Big East regular season, when Pitino likes to try things out, Harrell played some away from the basket and clearly not only had a green light but orders to shoot midrange.

 

I'm excited to see what an offseason of polish can bring out in Harrell.

Two points to consider, when you are basing your consideration on players heading to the NBA. Goodwin is four years younger than Smith and four inches taller. Goodwin is not that bad of a player and his ceiling is significantly higher than Smith's. Being taller doesn't mean you are posting people up, it gives you an advantage so you can get your shot off against opposing players, it allows you to create some resistance in iso situations on the floor defensively.

Goodwin should have never went and is immature, but this year he was not on a very good team.

 

I like Smith, heck I can't stand the Ville, but their team was a likeable team this year.

What I meant was Goodwin being 4" taller than Smith doesn't really impress me, as Goodwin is still going to be on the low end of average for a shooting guard (if that). It's not like his size is a strength.

 

Goodwin needs the ball in his hands, but a negative A/TO doesn't scream hand me the keys.

 

The reason I think Russ has a better shot to make the league is that he brings a unique game to the table, and in my opinion Goodwin doesn't. I mean, what do you get from Goodwin? He's a poor perimeter shooter (Smith is no Ray Allen, but even last year when he really was out of control he shot 30%.) He's a subpar defender. He's athletic and 6'4" but that is pretty much it, and there are just too many guys that bring at least that much to the table in the NBA.

 

I mean, DTA is the most crowded player type in the NBA, and Goodwin in my opinion is a DTA guy missing two of the letters.

I'm surprised that he's back; more than happy though. It will be interesting to see what is done at point guard; can't imagine Smith being in that position. Dieng and Siva will undoubtedly be greatly missed, but I see this team still being really good. It will be interesting to see how much Harrell develops for the upcoming season; I don't see much changing, if anything with Behanan. Overall, I'm happy with what the team has coming back after winning a title.

Archie Goodwin 2012-13

 

14.1 points per game, 4.6 rebounds, 26% from deep, 64% from the stripe (on over 200 attempts no less!) 1.1 steals, 2.9 fouls, and 101 turnovers to 88 assists

 

Russ Smith in 2012-13

 

18.7 points per game, 3.3 rebounds, 33% from three, 80% from the stripe (also on volume attempts of course) 2.1 steals, 2.6 fouls, and 116 assists over 108 turnovers.

 

Is this really a discussion? Goodwin doesn't do anything good enough to make it in the league. He's younger than Russ and he's taller, but it's not like Archie Goodwin is going to be posting up NBA guards any time soon. I personally think long term Russ is the better prospect (but then I would, right?)

 

None of those stats measure athleticism. The NBA is a more free flowing game so I would guess Goodwin could have some success as a slasher. He would also be looked at as potentially a better defender at the NBA level if he dedicates himself to that role. Obviously, Smith is better at most facets of the game now, but Goodwin is very raw and I don't know how much better Smith could get for the NBA.

Sure bodes well for keeping the NC in KY next year. UL's returning talent and UK's incoming talent. Can't wait.

The UK-UL game should have a big TV rating for CBS. Looks like it might be #1 vs #2.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.