Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Shaka Smart staying at VCU

Featured Replies

Shaka Smart is staying at VCU, spurning overtures from UCLA and Minnesota as the top target for both schools.

 

Smart will remain at VCU, he told ESPN.com in a text message Wednesday. VCU later issued a formal release announcing changes in Smart's contract are being finalized.

 

A source confirmed to ESPN.com that Smart will sign an extension to stay with the Rams through 2023. SI.com earlier reported news of the extension.

 

Shaka Smart to remain coach of VCU Rams - ESPN

^ No pun...but "Smart"....he's in a nice recruiting hot bed....and the pressure is much less. I say it's easier to win 25 games in his current spot, than to be competitive in a major conference. You see, having a tournament to end the season (which, in essence, allows for all schools to play), allows him to be competitive, without getting beat up on throughout the conference schedule. If only football could figure it out.

He has a better team returning next year than he had this year.

  • Author

He was atop of both UCLA's and Minnesota's list, that's the reason I asked if it was a smart or bad move. Turning down a bigger job/more pay to remain at VCU

He was atop of both UCLA's and Minnesota's list, that's the reason I asked if it was a smart or bad move. Turning down a bigger job/more pay to remain at VCU

 

Sometimes the "bigger job" is career suicide. Little life lesson for ya...

Sometimes the "bigger job" is career suicide. Little life lesson for ya...

 

I can agree with that but in your opinion then what would be a good job for him to leave for? Shaka's situation reminds me a lot of Chris Peterson's situation at Boise State for football in terms that he has a good thing going there and it could be a potentially bad career move to go elsewhere where the situation is less fortunate.

It's making more sense to me now why Stevens and Smart would stay out than it did 2 days ago.

If I would guess, I would say both Shaka and Stevens both have jobs they know will come open in the near future that they are willing to wait for.

Who of us above , say, 35 ever thought we'd see a coach from VCU turn down UCLA?

Who of us above , say, 35 ever thought we'd see a coach from VCU turn down UCLA?

 

Never. I understand why he did but I never thought it would happen. I still remember watching some great games between WKU/VCU as a kid in Diddle Arena. Who knew VCU>UCLA in 2013 without VCU even having to win a title? It even sounds stupid.

I wonder how much having VCU move to the New Big East/America 12/Conference TBA plays into affect in his decision.

I wonder how much having VCU move to the New Big East/America 12/Conference TBA plays into affect in his decision.

 

VCU is not changing conferences at this point...

If I would guess, I would say both Shaka and Stevens both have jobs they know will come open in the near future that they are willing to wait for.

 

I agree, I think they hope to hear from Highlands and Walton Verona soon.

Who of us above , say, 35 ever thought we'd see a coach from VCU turn down UCLA?

 

With Bill Walton using his broadcasting profession to crucify the last UCLA coach, why touch this job?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.