Greatest Sweet 16 Game You Have Seen

Watching Anthony Hickey play that whole tournament is my overall favorite Sweet 16 moment. There was no question who the best player in the state was after that tournament. What did he have, 10 steals against Shelby Valley?

It is not often that you see a sub six footer totally dominate a game/tournament like Anthony Hickey did. Great stuff!

Ritchie Farmer did it as well in the game versus Allan Houston and Ballard back in the eighties.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 1982 Finals between Laurel Co. and North Hardin. Game was tied late in the 4th qtr and Laurel Co was holding the ball for the last shot and turned it over with just a few seconds left. North Hardin tried a length of the court pass to 6'10 Brett Burrow. Paul Andrews leaped in front of Burrow to grab the ball then took 2 or 3 dribbles and launched a shot from the North Hardin side of halfcourt. Nothing but net as the buzzer went off and Laurel Co won the championship.

The official that was under the basket said that shot came thru the nets with an incredible amount of force.

People forget that Andrews hit a couple of clutch free throws late in the game in the semi-finals as Laurel County beat Virgie 61-60.

1988 Championship Game - Ballard v. Clay County, Richie Farmer v. Allan Houston, Urban v. Rural. Richie's 51 not enough to beat the more balanced Ballard, but Richie solidified his place in Kentucky high school basketball lore with the best individual performance I have ever seen.

agree 100%. it was unbelievable

It is not often that you see a sub six footer totally dominate a game/tournament like Anthony Hickey did. Great stuff!

Ritchie Farmer did it as well in the game versus Allan Houston and Ballard back in the eighties.

Hickeys endurance was very impressive.

35-33. Game was won on last second put back

1983 final was the best game I've ever seen at any level. Every possession meant something to both teams. Never seen Rupp like it was that night with everyone in the building on the edge of their seat. A David vs. Goliath match up as true as the Bible itself!

Some other games/teams/players I remember fondly:

1995 - Breckinridge Co.

1988 - Ballard v. Clay Co. (Richie)

1986 - PRP v. Hazard

1984 - Jeff Royce

1982 - North Hardin v. Laurel Co.

1982 - Mason Co. v. Virgie

1981 - Troy McKinley/Manual Forrest/Todd May

1979 - Lafayette Generals (Minniefield, Wilson, Johnson & Co.)

Edited by outofbounds

1983 final was the best game I've ever seen at any level. Every possession meant something to both teams. Never seen Rupp like it was that night with everyone in the building on the edge of their seat. A David vs. Goliath match up as true as the Bible itself!

Some other games/teams/players I remember fondly:

1995 - Breckinridge Co.

1988 - Ballard v. Clay Co. (Richie)

1986 - PRP v. Hazard

1984 - Jeff Royce

1982 - North Hardin v. Laurel Co.

1982 - Mason Co. v. Virgie

1981 - Troy McKinley/Manual Forrest/Todd May

1979 - Lafayette Generals (Minniefield, Wilson, Johnson & Co.)

The PRP vs Hazard semifinal game in '86 was probably the worst officiated game I've ever seen. What happened to Hazard in that game was a shame. Just one man's opinion. I'm sure others feel differently.

I remember that one. The only time I can remember fans throwing trash on the floor...for an extended period of time...at the Sweet 16. Popcorn boxes, soft drink cups with stuff still in 'em, spit cups, the works. Really disappointing all the way around. Would have been a monstrous upset.

Edited by broadcaster240

I remember that one. The only time I can remember fans throwing trash on the floor...for an extended period of time...at the Sweet 16. Popcorn boxes' date=' soft drink cups with stuff still in 'em, spit cups, the works. Really disappointing all the way around. Would have been a monstrous upset.[/quote']

How many broadcasts do you have?

On this day 25 yrs ago, Wayne County defeated Bryan Station 62-60 to advance to the State Championship game. They were defeated in that game by PRP with a score of 75-73.

I'm hoping our boys have a similar run with a different outcome in the final game this year.

After watching the Cardinals dispatch Scott High and Hart County...by five and ten points respectively...it was fun to watch 'em play right with the big boys too! Rodney Woods has done an awfully good job at Wayne for a long time now.

I agree. I've always been impressed with his coaching and the way he runs his program. I was rooting like crazy for his Cardinals in 1989 against PRP in the championship game, but they came up a little short.