Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Super Bowl Ad. Is This Racist?

Featured Replies

For something to be racist there would have to be something in it that makes fun of a race.

 

I saw a guy imitating a person from a particular country.

 

A country isn't a race.

For what it's worth, I don't think it's racist either. However, there are some calling it just that.

 

"It's pretty horrific," says Ricki Fairley-Brown, president of the multicultural marketing agency Dove Marketing. "Why do they have a white guy from Minnesota faking a Jamaican accent?"

 

Even more troubled by the spot is Rochelle Newman-Carrasco, chief hispanic marketing strategist at Walton Isaacson, an African-American, Gay/Lesbian and Hispanic agency. "What happens in this ad is that the culture becomes a punch line, and that is offensive."

 

Pop cultural guru Barbara Lippert is not amused, either. "It made me uncomfortable to see all of those white people in an office setting doing this," she says. "I found it offensive."

 

VW Jamaica-theme Super Bowl ad: Racist?

 

If it were a black man in pretending to talk like a down south country white guy would that then be racist? If so then towards which race, or would it be both? C'mon people are just stupid.

 

Now with that said I'm surprised no one from VW thought about this type of feedback being a possibility.

Unfortunately, until those of us in the silent majority start speaking up (publicly, and ready to face the criticism that will come with it), crap like this will take over the airways and our society will start going to hell in a hand basket even quicker than it already is.

 

The fact that this is actually making some people uncomfortable is sickening.

I thought the real video was gonna play after that silly VW ad. If you are outraged over this you need to get a real life to worry about.

If it were a black man in pretending to talk like a down south country white guy would that then be racist? If so then towards which race, or would it be both? C'mon people are just stupid.

 

Now with that said I'm surprised no one from VW thought about this type of feedback being a possibility.

 

 

Bad example. Anytime a black dude makes fun of a white dude, and vice versa, it is deemed as racist. This commercial is not racist.

Bad example. Anytime a black dude makes fun of a white dude, and vice versa, it is deemed as racist. This commercial is not racist.

 

I guess they got it right at VW. People are talking about it and it hasn't even aired yet.

Jamacian government had zero problems with it.

Whatever it is, I don't see it as or intending to be anything but complimentary to the Jamaican culture. I have spent a lot of time there over the years, and that is the main reason why...I love the people.

 

Anything that promotes their island and their culture is usually well-received also, especially if there is a chance it boosts the tourism industry.

The guy is speaking with a Jamaican/Caribbean accent...how does that add up to "racist"? If I speak with a southern draw or a British accent, am I being racist?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.