Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Frosh Playing Varsity Football

Featured Replies

Since this topic has been talked about in another thread, I thought I would give it one of its own. It seems like there are quite a few teams in Northern Kentucky that have had frosh dress and actually contribute at the varsity level (NCC, Boone, CovCath and Ryle (?) this year. There are some on here that feel other schools (namely Beechwood) should have had some or all of their better players playing Varsity this year. I know that as a rule Highlands does not have frosh dress and/or possibly play until the frosh season concludes.

 

I guess my question to those that have discussed this topic are, Why have these schools had to use frosh? What does a coach look for in determining whether or not a kid is ready for Varsity competition especially given that there could be 19 year olds going against 14 year olds? Should emphasis be placed on development of the frosh class as a whole along with a desire to win as many games as possible at that level?

Since this topic has been talked about in another thread, I thought I would give it one of its own. It seems like there are quite a few teams in Northern Kentucky that have had frosh dress and actually contribute at the varsity level (NCC, Boone, CovCath and Ryle (?) this year. There are some on here that feel other schools (namely Beechwood) should have had some or all of their better players playing Varsity this year. I know that as a rule Highlands does not have frosh dress and/or possibly play until the frosh season concludes.

 

I guess my question to those that have discussed this topic are, Why have these schools had to use frosh? What does a coach look for in determining whether or not a kid is ready for Varsity competition especially given that there could be 19 year olds going against 14 year olds? Should emphasis be placed on development of the frosh class as a whole along with a desire to win as many games as possible at that level?

 

I think you're not understanding how these kids were used in CCH's case when you say "why have these schools had to use frosh?"

 

These kids played against Harrison County and Pendleton County - two really bad teams. They got in with the JV boys. Nothing more.

 

The last frosh to get significant V time at CCH that I can remember was Sam Flynn ie it rarely , rarely happens.

  • Author

Yes I do understand why they played against those two teams, but it is my understanding that a few of them also got some snaps against Dixie earlier in the year. Are there not enough JV kids at CovCath that would have liked to get a few more snaps in those games. Highlands plays those same two teams and they do not move their frosh up to play in those games. Obviously the 2 programs have different philosophies, but I do not remember hearing of CovCath dressing frosh on Friday nights much less having them get snaps in varsity games.

Let's not make it something bigger than it really is.

The fact is, that CCH only dresses @ 5 Freshmen. As I understand it, this is more an honorary invite than an invite to actually expect PT. They want to identify a core group of boys who they feel can represent their class over the next four years and who will see varsity action sooner in their careers than later. Let them understand the game day rituals etc.

Maybe a Frosh did get into the Dixie game- not 100% sure- but did you catch the score? It was darn near a running clock. I am sure that all the JV kids got in plenty of snaps there just like they did against Pendleton & Harrison Co. I will tell you that in no game have I seen a Freshman get more than @ 5 snaps- and almost no consecutive snaps.

Is this the model that others follow? No idea- I suppose it depends on your numbers to a large extent. I think it's a good thing myself.

  • Author

Exactly what I was looking for in this thread rather than trashing another thread with this talk of who should or should not be playing varsity at their given school.

Yes I do understand why they played against those two teams, but it is my understanding that a few of them also got some snaps against Dixie earlier in the year. Are there not enough JV kids at CovCath that would have liked to get a few more snaps in those games. Highlands plays those same two teams and they do not move their frosh up to play in those games. Obviously the 2 programs have different philosophies, but I do not remember hearing of CovCath dressing frosh on Friday nights much less having them get snaps in varsity games.

 

 

Dixie was a 54-0 ballgame. If the frosh got in they got in with the other JV kids. I wasn't aware frosh were even dressing then.

Its my understanding that BW does not allow freshmen to dress and or participate in varsity games while the freshmen season is still in progress. I understand that they invite them up after the freshmen campaign to join the varisty roster to get a feel for Friday nights and to maybe get a snap or two in early postseason games, if the situation warrants. I am sure they have brought up freshmen in the past, but I'm pretty sure they have not over the past few years. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

I dont condemn the act of bringing freshmen up, but it usually is not a good sign regarding the program if you need a freshmen to play significant minutes or count on those young men to be your feature players. It all depends on the young man, we have all seen freshmen who had the physical maturity of someone much older, and in many cases their growth cycle was complete.

Not opposed to ceremonial call ups, I think that gets the kids more focused on the future.

Coach Wirth has stated a couple of times that he does not believe in playing freshman at the varsity level.

he feels it is better for them to develop as a team as freshmen.

He does however have a couple of freshman, usually the quarterbacks, but the last couple of years has included others who dress for varsity.

These freshman do not practice with the varsity until the freshman season is over.

Now that the freshman are done, he will bring a handful of other up to continue practicing.

They may or may not dress for games, last year he brought up about 10 kids.

This has been a tradition at CovCath since the 70's, except when Rottenberg was coach.

Let's not make it something bigger than it really is.

The fact is, that CCH only dresses @ 5 Freshmen. .

 

Bluedad is correct. Number is 5 or 6 and they have been dressing since the 2nd game.

Who cares.... Simply stated silly topic.. No freshman in NKY makes a bit of difference on Varsity level.

I'm of the opinion, that you put your best players on the field and if a frosh is among the best then so be it. But if they are good enough to play Varsity they should not be playing on the frosh team.

It was not something that happened prior to 1986 with Coach Ray as the Head Coach. Maybe that changed in the late 80s.

 

 

 

Coach Wirth has stated a couple of times that he does not believe in playing freshman at the varsity level.

he feels it is better for them to develop as a team as freshmen.

He does however have a couple of freshman, usually the quarterbacks, but the last couple of years has included others who dress for varsity.

These freshman do not practice with the varsity until the freshman season is over.

Now that the freshman are done, he will bring a handful of other up to continue practicing.

They may or may not dress for games, last year he brought up about 10 kids.

This has been a tradition at CovCath since the 70's, except when Rottenberg was coach.

If frosh are routinely playing meaningfully snaps in a varsity game... you have real problems

Having a frosh play meaningful snaps isn't always the case. Lexington Catholic starts a freshman wide receiver that has made several huge plays throughout the course of the season.

As good as they are there are no freshman that could have added value for Beechwood this year.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.