Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Replacement Refs: Who is at fault?

Who is at fault for the replacement referees? 16 members have voted

  1. 1. Who is at fault for the replacement referees?

    • Roger Goodell
      56%
    • The owners
      18%
    • The real refs
      12%
    • The fans that remain loyal despite a horrible product
      12%

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

I feel bad for any crew that screws up a call as bad as last night, in Oakland.

  • Replies 36
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Real Refs. They don't want to be full time, yet they want full time bennies. I just don't get knocking down 10's of thousands of dollars in a part time gig, and wanting more. NFL should fire all of them, and recruit top level collge officials at the end of the season.

I feel bad for any crew that screws up a call as bad as last night, in Oakland.

 

Boy, think if any of them lived in Wisconsin and had to go in to work today!!!

  • Author
Because they don't work 40 close to 40 hours a week. Most if not all have regular jobs. Ed "biceps" Hochuli is a lawyer. Mike Carey founded and owns a company that manufacturers ski gear.

 

Are you sure? Don't they spend time traveling and reviewing games and perfecting their craft during the week?

  • Author

I'm still blaming Goodell but the real refs are coming off just as greedy as the NFL. At the end of the day it will cost the NFL pennies to fix it.

I'm still blaming Goodell but the real refs are coming off just as greedy as the NFL. At the end of the day it will cost the NFL pennies to fix it.
While I don't think many will disagree that the NFL seems goofy for not giving in considering how little the money is I think it's more of the precedent it sets. They have to draw a line some where. Giving fully funded pensions to them is a pretty good place to do.

A bit of irony here. The Commish answers to the owners.

 

The team that most (including me) folks believe got jobbed here doesn't have an owner. They've got a couple hundred thousand shareholders, but not an "owner".

I'm still blaming Goodell but the real refs are coming off just as greedy as the NFL. At the end of the day it will cost the NFL pennies to fix it.

 

It's hard to blame them when they are successfully using their leverage. They are driving a hard bargain right now. It's Goodell's responsibility, and he's clearly more interested in sacrificing the game, safety, and possibly even fans to give him something to lean on the refs with. I would blame the fans for continuing to watch this mess, but their interest is only in entertainment and since this deal is affecting more than just entertainment it makes Goodell appear all the more blameworthy.

It's hard to blame them when they are successfully using their leverage. They are driving a hard bargain right now. It's Goodell's responsibility, and he's clearly more interested in sacrificing the game, safety, and possibly even fans to give him something to lean on the refs with. I would blame the fans for continuing to watch this mess, but their interest is only in entertainment and since this deal is affecting more than just entertainment it makes Goodell appear all the more blameworthy.

 

I agree to a point. I highly doubt Goodell can make any offer to the refs though that doesn't come directly from the owners. What is he supposed to do?

I agree to a point. I highly doubt Goodell can make any offer to the refs though that doesn't come directly from the owners. What is he supposed to do?

 

I think you're being incredibly naive if you don't think Goddell has SIGNIFICANT pull with the owners.

Yeah, Goodell is no more the mere humble servant than David Stern is.

 

And for everyone who thinks that the refs demands are too much... as far as I can tell, the past few days have more than proven that they are worth some significant compensation. Maybe more than they asked for.

Ratings are up. NFL is in no hurry, but last night may speed up the process.

I think you're being incredibly naive if you don't think Goddell has SIGNIFICANT pull with the owners.

 

He may have some pull. I highly doubt a guy they agreed to pay $10M this year to serve their bet interests can make them take a deal with the refs though.

  • Author
He may have some pull. I highly doubt a guy they agreed to pay $10M this year to serve their bet interests can make them take a deal with the refs though.

 

I'm thinking if he was a good commissioner he'd be working to make both sides take a deal.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.