3A #2 Breathitt County vs 2A #1 Somerset

AverageJoesGym

Who wins?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Breathitt County Bobcats (4-0)
    • Somerset Briar Jumpers (3-0)

Should be a Great High School Football Game. This Game will be good for both teams, getting ready for District. play and the Play-offs. Breathitt is better on Off. right now and Somerset is prob. the best on Def. I think Somerset has played a much harder schedule to this point. I will go with Somerset in a barn burner, 28-26.

Breathitt should be about a 2 TD favorite if all things are considered equal on paper IMO. The Bobcats' offense is further along then the Briar Jumper offense, they return more experience and in general more skill across the board, I think the two defenses are a wash. Breathitt also has arguably the best individual player in EKY in Trent.

With that said, I do see a couple things that certainly could make this game closer, if not allow for Somerset to sneak out with the W.

First and foremost, Breathitt will essentially be playing their season opener. The three teams they have played so far (Estill Co, Newport, and Jackson County) are beyond bad and I would venture 90% of the state would be able to have made short work of them much like Breathitt did. The snaps on Friday will legitimately be the only snaps this season where the Bobcats would have been challenged. This makes me wonder if the normal "Week 1 Jitters" or these small errors such as fumble exchanges, false starts, or personnel errors that most teams face in their season opener will actually make their first appearance this week instead.

Secondly, how will Breathitt adjust to the speed of the game? This is a major change of pace form anything they have seen and after 3 weeks of limited reps against teams who obviously are deficient in both speed and execution, you now suddenly play a veteran team that will function fairly streamlined and has a good bit of team speed. As I said above, I think Breathitt is a little bit stronger athletically, but when you haven't seen anyone near your level it could negate that and make the team a step slower until they adjust. What compounds this is the fact Breathitt is not a very deep team by any stretch of the imagination, so it's not like they are getting to truly "practice against themselves" where at least their starting O and D are going against each other. With so many two way players that makes that impossible.

I think this is very tight for a Half, maybe 3 Quarters, but Breathitt makes the plays down the stretch to win.

I'll say:

Breathitt 26

Somerset 14

I have looked at film on Breathitt's 4 games and the people they have played are not good teams. It's hard to get a True look at Breathitt. I know they were good last year, beat Somerset 20-0 at Breathitt. Not many people went to Breathitt and only got beat 20. That is a hard place to play. I also know Somerset fumbled 5 times inside the 20 yd. line. I like Somerset in a close game. #1 It's at Somerset and #2 Breathitt has not been tested. It Should be a good one. Come on Friday!!!!

Trent is a stud running the ball and has been for 3 years. How is his passing compared to Whitaker at Hazard? How do Breathitts WR's stack up to Hazards WR's?

Trent is very good throwing the ball, had 5 td passes last week, but I could have thrown for 5 aganist Jackson Co. He has some good receivers, don't think any of them are as good as Olinger. Has a good RB, don't think he is as good as Jones from Hazard. Trent is the Key, got to keep him in pocket. Sound funny but when he starts running around is when he hurts you. I know Somerset's DB are better than anything Breathitt has seen. I know Somerset's people up front are better than anything Breathitt has seen. This will be a fun game and no matter who wins, it will make both teams better.

Trent is very good throwing the ball, had 5 td passes last week, but I could have thrown for 5 aganist Jackson Co. He has some good receivers, don't think any of them are as good as Olinger. Has a good RB, don't think he is as good as Jones from Hazard. Trent is the Key, got to keep him in pocket. Sound funny but when he starts running around is when he hurts you. I know Somerset's DB are better than anything Breathitt has seen. I know Somerset's people up front are better than anything Breathitt has seen. This will be a fun game and no matter who wins, it will make both teams better.
Dead on accurate!! I can't wait to see this one!!! Go Jumpers!!!

This is the game of the week that I wish I could watch. Both teams have a chance to make a statement and solidify their ranking, for what that is worth. This game should have a playoff atmosphere. Many eyes will be on this one from around the state this week. Breathitt should be the favorite, and I personally think they will win by at least 2 TDs, but I will be pulling for the Jumpers!!!

Will this game be broadcast online so I can listen?

This is the game of the week that I wish I could watch. Both teams have a chance to make a statement and solidify their ranking, for what that is worth. This game should have a playoff atmosphere. Many eyes will be on this one from around the state this week. Breathitt should be the favorite, and I personally think they will win by at least 2 TDs, but I will be pulling for the Jumpers!!!

Will this game be broadcast online so I can listen?

Yes. WLLK 102.3 FM will have the game streaming from their website. Their station is also available on the I Heart Radio app on mobile phones.