Email to Matt Jones

Clyde

It's no secret I'm not a big fan of Matt Jones' radio show. He and I were debating something on Twitter which is not conducive to debating so I figured I would send an email. No response back from Mr Jones.

Hello, Matt.

I figured I would send an email. Consider it as a review from a UK fan.

FWIW

First, let me say I 100% applaud your success. I’m a big fan of entrepreneurs and you can hold your head high with the success you’ve had. I also applaud folks who set out to do what they really want to do vs doing what they need to do in order to get by. Not many are walking away from Duke Law for a blog/radio/whatever else you’ve got planned. Big fan of your success.

I also think that if we hung I’d thoroughly enjoy your a)intelligence and b)sense of humor. We probably aren’t far off in politics either. In other words, we’d be “boys.”

I’ve taken a few “shots” at you on Twitter. Nothing that I ever thought was over the top but certainly some that aren’t from 99% of your listeners. Why?

IMHO there is an aspect of your empire (mainly radio) that plays down to the bad part of UK fan-dom. It plays to the stereotype of hillbillies(Note: I have family in Lee County so I’ve got it in my blood as well) and those whose intelligence isn’t getting them into college much less Duke Law. Maybe as a KYian I’m overly sensitive to that. Who knows? However, I think it’s unnecessary and if eliminated would have no downside to your gig. As a UK fan I can say that we are certainly some of the most sensitive fans in any sport. We are so consumed with people “not liking us” ie Billy Packer/Bobby Knight/Pete Thamel/you name it that anytime they mention ANYTHING we (collectively) put our defenses up instead of relaxing a bit, digesting it, analyzing it, and then coming to an intelligent conclusion. Your show fans that IMO and that is the MAIN aspect that keeps me from listening very often.

The way you reacted to Dan Dakich is a perfect example. If you would have put your UK #1 foam finger down for a minute and listened to the context and not gotten hung up on “upset” you would have realized his point. IU was dam good and them beating UK at IU in December was not going to be an upset. It would just be a really good night for IU. You, though, completely blew it out of proportion and didn’t understand. I know you’re smart and you have the ability of logic , however, on that one you failed because you are IMO way too sensitive about UK. Who gives a damn if it’s an upset? Who gives a damn if they think Cal is cheating? Let your guest bring up an opposing view and then intelligently debate it. That didn’t happen that day and I KNOW you’re capable of it because I’ve heard you be rational in other areas. Your intelligence jumps through the radio. Use it with UK as well.

I’m in the minority. Heck, my 25-yr-old probably likes your show so I realize I’m swimming upstream. However, I think you can appeal to both the rabid and those like me who want good debate/reporting/conversation even IF it has to be interrupted by some guy playing a character.

I wish you nothing but continued success and would love the opportunity to say hello sometime. Heck, I’d buy you a beer .

Thanks

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I need to clarify.

Matt Jones' KSR and his radio show are the #1 sites/radio for UK fans. Radio show is now in about 5 cities including Louisville and Lex.

Matt thinks UK is picked on by writers and announcers and KILLS anyone who doesn't drink the blue mixture.

I sent him an email as I know I'm in the minority.

Said email is presented as a way to discuss my contention - ie he's bad for UK's image.

Clear?

Matt Jones' KSR and his radio show are the #1 sites/radio for UK fans. Radio show is now in about 5 cities including Louisville and Lex.

Matt thinks UK is picked on by writers and announcers and KILLS anyone who doesn't drink the blue mixture.

Said email is presented as a way to discuss my contention - ie he's bad for UK's image.

Clear?

Agreed, he appeals to those that fuel the UK fan stereotype.

Clear?

His show is on in way more than 5 cities. FWIW, IU beating UK was absoluley an upset. If it wasn't the fans wouldn't storm the floor and ESPN wouldn't show the shot being made every other minute. You want logic, well there you go.

His show is on in way more than 5 cities. FWIW, IU beating UK was absoluley an upset. If it wasn't the fans wouldn't storm the floor and ESPN wouldn't show the shot being made every other minute. You want logic, well there you go.

1. 5 was a WAG.

2. Technically, yes, it was an upset but if you listened to the actual Dakich interview his point was 100% valid but Matt was so hung up on the technicality of it that the point went right over his head.

3. Next time I use fans' actions and thoughts as a basis for anything will be the first.

Clear?

I'm still a little confused as to why you posted your e-mail on here.

Let me ask you this? Do you honestly feel Matt feels the way he does, or is it possible he just does it because he knows exactly what it takes to get huge traffic to his site, and tons of callers to his show. You've already shown how smart he is. IMO he's just a smart businessman that uses the rabid UK fan base to make lots of money.

I'm still a little confused as to why you posted your e-mail on here.

Let me ask you this? Do you honestly feel Matt feels the way he does, or is it possible he just does it because he knows exactly what it takes to get huge traffic to his site, and tons of callers to his show. You've already shown how smart he is. IMO he's just a smart businessman that uses the rabid UK fan base to make lots of money.

From people I know who knew him pre-KSR from Transy or lawyering I'd say not a lot of his on-air persona is an act.

1. 5 was a WAG.

2. Technically, yes, it was an upset but if you listened to the actual Dakich interview his point was 100% valid but Matt was so hung up on the technicality of it that the point went right over his head.

3. Next time I use fans' actions and thoughts as a basis for anything will be the first.

1. Your WAG was only off by about 20 or so.

2. So technically it was and upset yet Jones was hung up on the technicality of it being not being called an upset. Hey, Clyde you might not want to call him out on logical debate.:lol:

3. Whose thoughts do you use as a basis for anything? Do you have a direct line to the players and coaches? All of us are fans of something or someone to some degree, even you I would assume.

As you know Clyde I feel pretty much as you do on this subject. I think he promotes bad behavior among the fan base.

Really? He promotes bad behavior. That seems to be a massive overstatement.

From people I know who knew him pre-KSR from Transy or lawyering I'd say not a lot of his on-air persona is an act.

To me he seems pretty much as is. I think he and I are polar opposites when it comes to personalities but I have great admiration for what he has built. Acctually I'm a bit jealous, he is making a living off UK sports. Living the dream.