September 16, 201214 yr It's no secret I'm not a big fan of Matt Jones' radio show. He and I were debating something on Twitter which is not conducive to debating so I figured I would send an email. No response back from Mr Jones. Hello, Matt. I figured I would send an email. Consider it as a review from a UK fan. FWIW First, let me say I 100% applaud your success. I’m a big fan of entrepreneurs and you can hold your head high with the success you’ve had. I also applaud folks who set out to do what they really want to do vs doing what they need to do in order to get by. Not many are walking away from Duke Law for a blog/radio/whatever else you’ve got planned. Big fan of your success. I also think that if we hung I’d thoroughly enjoy your a)intelligence and b)sense of humor. We probably aren’t far off in politics either. In other words, we’d be “boys.” I’ve taken a few “shots” at you on Twitter. Nothing that I ever thought was over the top but certainly some that aren’t from 99% of your listeners. Why? IMHO there is an aspect of your empire (mainly radio) that plays down to the bad part of UK fan-dom. It plays to the stereotype of hillbillies(Note: I have family in Lee County so I’ve got it in my blood as well) and those whose intelligence isn’t getting them into college much less Duke Law. Maybe as a KYian I’m overly sensitive to that. Who knows? However, I think it’s unnecessary and if eliminated would have no downside to your gig. As a UK fan I can say that we are certainly some of the most sensitive fans in any sport. We are so consumed with people “not liking us” ie Billy Packer/Bobby Knight/Pete Thamel/you name it that anytime they mention ANYTHING we (collectively) put our defenses up instead of relaxing a bit, digesting it, analyzing it, and then coming to an intelligent conclusion. Your show fans that IMO and that is the MAIN aspect that keeps me from listening very often. The way you reacted to Dan Dakich is a perfect example. If you would have put your UK #1 foam finger down for a minute and listened to the context and not gotten hung up on “upset” you would have realized his point. IU was dam good and them beating UK at IU in December was not going to be an upset. It would just be a really good night for IU. You, though, completely blew it out of proportion and didn’t understand. I know you’re smart and you have the ability of logic , however, on that one you failed because you are IMO way too sensitive about UK. Who gives a damn if it’s an upset? Who gives a damn if they think Cal is cheating? Let your guest bring up an opposing view and then intelligently debate it. That didn’t happen that day and I KNOW you’re capable of it because I’ve heard you be rational in other areas. Your intelligence jumps through the radio. Use it with UK as well. I’m in the minority. Heck, my 25-yr-old probably likes your show so I realize I’m swimming upstream. However, I think you can appeal to both the rabid and those like me who want good debate/reporting/conversation even IF it has to be interrupted by some guy playing a character. I wish you nothing but continued success and would love the opportunity to say hello sometime. Heck, I’d buy you a beer . Thanks I take two things away from this thread: 1) UK fans are hopelessly irrational (not that that's a revelation or anything) 2) Clyde's just not a True Blue Fan. Turn in your card.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.