Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Baseball games should be called off due to heat

Featured Replies

Yesterday I saw kids playing ball in the middle of the day with temps at 100 or above, and my grandson was one of them. (Doug Teegarden) He had to be taken to the emergency room for fluids, this is "stupid", where is the common sense with parents,coaches, umpires, and tournament directors? "NO BALL GAME IS WORHT A KIDS LIFE" SO PLEASE CALL THESE GAMES OFF TODAY AND TOMORROW WHEN THE ITS SUPPOSED TO BE ABOVE 100. Do not leave it up to the kids, someone with some common sense should step up and make the call before its too late!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( I was not watching any game as being older I do have a little common sense.)

  • Replies 49
  • Views 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

100% agreement, sir. No justification for playing these games.

 

Parents need to be smarter than the coach and say their child is not playing.

It is crazy. Little leagues should at least look at what the KHSAA does on their heat chart.

I have asked the same question..I think it is ridiculous!! The kids come off the field and sit with those Frog Togs on their necks until they have to go back out. We were in Atlanta last year for the AABC World Series and had a kid go down do to the heat. I thought the kid was having a heat stroke .Something needs to change before someone ends up losing their life because of stupidity..

Oldtimeballer I completely agree with you! There is no reason to play games in this type of heat.

 

Heck I came home yesterday after cleaning the parks and working out in the heat for hours and was dead on my feet and i do mean dead on my feet. "The Boss" literally had to pull me into the shower to cool my skin down as I had a 102 temp! I had done everything correctly by hydrating myself, wore light and loose fitting clothing, wore a hat and I though I was use to the heat but I was dead on my feet. This type of heat is nothing to mess around with.

 

BTW I started another thread about this and read some of the comments...it just doesn't make sense.

 

http://bluegrasspreps.com/ky-softball-high/they-nuts-just-236724.html#post4384205

  • Author

Teegarden was kept in the hospital over night and was given "8" IV's of fluid, he is feeling a lot better today and will be going home. I made him promise me he would not play any more this week or weekend and he had better keep his word. I now have heard of other kids with the same thing happenig to them, also umpires going down. Folks, this is a very serious thing and all precautions should be taken! Note to all the coaches, if you think the games have to be played then get your gloves and bats out and have at it, but leave the kids at home.

Parents are first and foremost responsible for their children and should keep them out of games. If they did, no games would be played during crazy heat, regardless of any leagues lack of responsible guidelines.

Yesterday I saw kids playing ball in the middle of the day with temps at 100 or above, and my grandson was one of them. (Doug Teegarden) He had to be taken to the emergency room for fluids, this is "stupid", where is the common sense with parents,coaches, umpires, and tournament directors? "NO BALL GAME IS WORHT A KIDS LIFE" SO PLEASE CALL THESE GAMES OFF TODAY AND TOMORROW WHEN THE ITS SUPPOSED TO BE ABOVE 100. Do not leave it up to the kids, someone with some common sense should step up and make the call before its too late!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( I was not watching any game as being older I do have a little common sense.)

 

 

 

Glad Doug is going to be ok. Not only did they have to play in the 100 degree temperatures, but they had to play a double header. Heat index was well over 100 in both games. Coach rotated players as best he could, but 5+ hours on the baseball field drained all of them.

 

Today, Doug's team plays at UC on the turf at 1:30pm. I expect the temperature will be around 100 degrees. The heat index on the turf will be somewhere around 110-115. Fluids, fluids, fluids because they will play unless you can find some bass drums to play a thunder roll outside the stadium.

  • Author
Glad Doug is going to be ok. Not only did they have to play in the 100 degree temperatures, but they had to play a double header. Heat index was well over 100 in both games. Coach rotated players as best he could, but 5+ hours on the baseball field drained all of them.

 

Today, Doug's team plays at UC on the turf at 1:30pm. I expect the temperature will be around 100 degrees. The heat index on the turf will be somewhere around 110-115. Fluids, fluids, fluids because they will play unless you can find some bass drums to play a thunder roll outside the stadium.

 

I hope nothing happens to any other kid, coach , or umpire, cause I know as a person I could not live with myself knowing I could have prevented something and did not do it!

Last night I had both of my kids playing at 6:30. It actually wasn't that bad at that time.

 

With that said.......I couldn't imagine playing a game earlier than that......especially a double header......Glad to hear DT will be good.

 

Coaches need to have some common sense.....

 

Here's a rule.......Before any game can be played, a coach has to suit up in complete catcher's gear and warm up a pitcher for 20 minutes without water or stopping......20 minutes simulates a pretty long inning.

 

They then have to perform the dui tests.....standing on one foot for 30 seconds, alphabet backwards, finger touches.......

 

if they are good to go, then play ball...........

 

However......in my experience, some coaches wouldn't qualify BEFORE they put on the catcher's gear.......if you know what I mean.

If you don't think your kid should play then don't let them. League or tourney director should have someone in charge of that call whether to play or not. Umps are there to work a job, should not be their call.

100% agreement, sir. No justification for playing these games.

 

Parents need to be smarter than the coach and say their child is not playing.

 

Parents are first and foremost responsible for their children and should keep them out of games. If they did, no games would be played during crazy heat, regardless of any leagues lack of responsible guidelines.

 

:thumb:

I have a softball game tonight. I'm not looking forward to it.

I have a softball game tonight. I'm not looking forward to it.

 

Played Monday night in brutal heat & still managed to pull my hamstring. :irked:

Played Monday night in brutal heat & still managed to pull my hamstring. :irked:

 

That ain't the heat. You're just getting old, homey. :D

 

I've been there. Sprained my ankle simply by standing on my tiptoes to catch a softball thrown back to me from the catcher while I was pitching.(worst position in softball). Took 6 months to properly heal. #oldage

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.