Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Baseball games should be called off due to heat

Featured Replies

That ain't the heat. You're just getting old, homey. :D

 

I've been there. Sprained my ankle simply by standing on my tiptoes to catch a softball thrown back to me from the catcher while I was pitching.(worst position in softball). Took 6 months to properly heal. #oldage

 

Randy must really be out of shape. I'm old , still run, still play b-ball, run up and down the floor and I've never pulled a hammy.

 

Bow down to my superior athletic ability, Randy!

  • Replies 49
  • Views 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what you get into with a lot of these summer league teams. You don't have a governing body over top of you to make sure the games are played in safe conditions. The KHSAA does a fine job of making sure the conditions are right to play ball, whether it is heat or storms.

I still think a lot of these heat related instances are due to laying around in the air conditioned home. JMO. They had these hot days 15 to 20 years ago and you didn't hear of anyone going down. I do think it's up to the parents and not the coach as to whether or not your kid should play. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't DT's dad one of the coaches?

Last week, my 4 year old's T ball game was cancelled 48 hours ahead of time due to heat. He is due to play tomorrow at noon. No cancellation yet. If they think I'm taking him out in it, they are nuts. The soccer league my 6 year old daughter played spring ball in still has me on their email list. I got an email today, that their games are on for tomorrow. One of the most foolish and ignorant things I've ever read. People are jsut stupid.

Keep fluids in the kids all day until the game starts and then keep the rags on their necks. I dont think it has been that bad, as long as they are not playing games in the middle of the afternoon which they will be doing tomorrow. My stepson's team has advanced in the City Tournament in NKY and they play at noon tomorrow at Mills Park. I actually hope they cancel it so I can sit in the pool but I doubt they will. They played on Thursday night at Pendery Park in Campbell Co and it wasnt that bad but I didnt have the catcher's gear on either. I think safety of the kids should come first no question but I also think they should move the afternoon games and keep the morning and late evening games.

Heard a kid had a heat stroke at the Kings Island Tourney today in the 14u division.

That ain't the heat. You're just getting old, homey. :D

 

I've been there. Sprained my ankle simply by standing on my tiptoes to catch a softball thrown back to me from the catcher while I was pitching.(worst position in softball). Took 6 months to properly heal. #oldage

 

While I certainly don't deny getting old (or fat, or out of shape, or just flat lazy), the hamstring has been a recurring problem since my sophomore year of college--back when I was actually in shape, young, etc. Was playing in a softball tourney in Dayton, OH & was in a "fastest man" contest. Rounded second base & there went the hammy. It's happened to some degree about once every three years. It could probably be avoided if I'd get there early & stretch, but as it is, I basically show up, put my spikes on & hit the field. Pretty dumb, really. :lol:

 

You're a brave soul for pitching, my friend. Stick me in the outfield where I can use what speed I have left & where I can have plenty of time to see the ball coming my way.

 

Randy must really be out of shape. I'm old , still run, still play b-ball, run up and down the floor and I've never pulled a hammy.

 

Bow down to my superior athletic ability, Randy!

 

How on earth I went 7 hours missing this post is beyond me. :lol:

 

The reason you haven't pulled a hammy, Clizzy, is because the pace of the game is a lot slower with the 70-year-olds at the YMCA. :lol:

Heard a kid had a heat stroke at the Kings Island Tourney today in the 14u division.

 

Is he okay? I hate to hear that.

Played Monday night in brutal heat & still managed to pull my hamstring. :irked:

 

The heat? Are we at the age where the temp is to blame for our injuries?

While I certainly don't deny getting old (or fat, or out of shape, or just flat lazy), the hamstring has been a recurring problem since my sophomore year of college--back when I was actually in shape, young, etc. Was playing in a softball tourney in Dayton, OH & was in a "fastest man" contest. Rounded second base & there went the hammy. It's happened to some degree about once every three years. It could probably be avoided if I'd get there early & stretch, but as it is, I basically show up, put my spikes on & hit the field. Pretty dumb, really. :lol:

 

You're a brave soul for pitching, my friend. Stick me in the outfield where I can use what speed I have left & where I can have plenty of time to see the ball coming my way.

 

 

 

How on earth I went 7 hours missing this post is beyond me. :lol:

 

The reason you haven't pulled a hammy, Clizzy, is because the pace of the game is a lot slower with the 70-year-olds at the YMCA. :lol:

 

Ah, the fastest man contest...Didn't Hinson win that one year?

The heat? Are we at the age where the temp is to blame for our injuries?

 

:lol:

 

I was actually saying that I pulled the hammy in spite of the heat; not because. But go ahead...you guys have your fun. :lol:

I think safety of the kids should come first no question but I also think they should move the afternoon games and keep the morning and late evening games.

 

I see this done quite often & I agree with you. But as you said, safety should trump everything else.

I still think a lot of these heat related instances are due to laying around in the air conditioned home. JMO. They had these hot days 15 to 20 years ago and you didn't hear of anyone going down. I do think it's up to the parents and not the coach as to whether or not your kid should play. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't DT's dad one of the coaches?

 

These are record breaking temperatures. Plus the reason we didn't hear it as much before was due to the media. If anything happens today we hear about it.

Played in the NKYsports.com outing at AJ Jolly today...the heat was brutal. I had 12 Bud Light Limes in my bag and still had 8 of them left after 18 holes. You know it's hot when shutitdown is forced to drink water and gatorade instead of his BLL's on the golf course. Still enjoyed a couple Acid Deep Dish cigars though.

  • Author
I still think a lot of these heat related instances are due to laying around in the air conditioned home. JMO. They had these hot days 15 to 20 years ago and you didn't hear of anyone going down. I do think it's up to the parents and not the coach as to whether or not your kid should play. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't DT's dad one of the coaches?

 

I do not think this is about how "tough" you are, to me it's about how "smart" you are.

Yes, his dad does help coach the team but that does not change MO one bit. Just because we did it when we were kids (and I did) does not make it a smart thing to do.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.