Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Wedding Reception Music

Featured Replies

We had a boom box and a mix tape at mine. :lol:

  • Replies 91
  • Views 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author
I tend to dislike DJs at weddings because I have been to far too many weddings where the DJs turned it into their own show and took the focus away from the bride and groom. I am glad we had a 10 piece band at mine.

 

My DJ will have a painfully specific playlist. I may well just burn him 2 or 3 cd's, tell him to just press play, and then go sit down and drink some of the beer I'll be paying for.

We had a boom box and a mix tape at mine. :lol:

 

 

Did he dance like he did at your son's wedding?

 

Did he dance like he did at your son's wedding?

 

Why yes he did! :lol:

My cousin's wedding today did feature "At Last," but, fortunately, did not feature "Rocky Top," or, at least, while I was there. It also, while I was there, unfortunately, did not feature the Chicken Dance, which I found disappointing. How can you have a wedding involving German folks on the bride and groom side and not have the Chicken Dance?

Exactly! Looking forward to my niece's wedding next summer in Milwaukee. Beer Barrel polka will be played and what's cool is that all ages will be dancing to it.

My DJ will have a painfully specific playlist. I may well just burn him 2 or 3 cd's, tell him to just press play, and then go sit down and drink some of the beer I'll be paying for.

 

When I got married the DJ gave us his playlist and we were able to pick every song out.

  • Author

Booked the DJ for my wedding reception last night. Got me revisiting what music I'd like to have played. Here's the list of must-haves that I've come up with thus far:

 

First Dance:

 

House Of Pain - Jump Around

Tom Petty - American Girl

Blackstreet - No Diggity

Bruce Springsteen - Thunder Road

Warren Zevon - Werewolves Of London

Chuck Berry - You Never Can Tell

Talking Heads - This Must Be The Place

Ray Charles - What'd I Say (Parts I & II)

Patsy Cline - Crazy

Etta James - Sunday Kind Of Love

 

I know we're going to have to leave some room for requests, but I'm still planning on having a fairly detailed list of songs to play for the wedding. That being said, anybody have any "must-have" songs they can think to suggest?

 

(I might also suggest referencing THIS post too :lol:)

  • Author

So my parents' 40th wedding anniversary is on October 5th. On October 4th my brothers and I are throwing them a 40th Anniversary "Wedding Reception". We've got the church hall at their parish rented, a wedding cake being made, a DJ booked, a caterer lined up, an open bar paid for, and about 230 guests coming.

 

Sooooooooo the music...

 

My parents have said time and time again regarding the reception, "We just want people to dance and have a good time." So bearing in mind that they graduated high school in '66 and '69, and that they got married in '74...what dance songs do you suggest we put on the list for the DJ? The DJ is actually a friend of mine, and he was going to be on the invite list anyway, so we're essentially just trying to have a playlist of songs that we can just start playing and walk away from. Oh, and we've got slow dances all accounted for.

 

Whatcha got for me, folks?

Booked the DJ for my wedding reception last night. Got me revisiting what music I'd like to have played. Here's the list of must-haves that I've come up with thus far:

 

First Dance:

 

House Of Pain - Jump Around

Tom Petty - American Girl

Blackstreet - No Diggity

Bruce Springsteen - Thunder Road

Warren Zevon - Werewolves Of London

Chuck Berry - You Never Can Tell

Talking Heads - This Must Be The Place

Ray Charles - What'd I Say (Parts I & II)

Patsy Cline - Crazy

Etta James - Sunday Kind Of Love

 

I know we're going to have to leave some room for requests, but I'm still planning on having a fairly detailed list of songs to play for the wedding. That being said, anybody have any "must-have" songs they can think to suggest?

 

(I might also suggest referencing THIS post too :lol:)

 

Gots to get some go go in there. EU?

  • Author
Gots to get some go go in there. EU?

 

....this is going right over my head. Not even ducking.

My theory is you have to get people up and dancing even if it's not to songs you would personally enjoy. You have to make the 40+ crowd comfortable so you need some 70s/80s stuff in there.

 

Prince

Michael Jackson/Jackson 5

Grand Funk - Some Kind of Wonderful

KC and the Sunshine Band

Bee Gees

 

It's about getting people up and getting some rumps shaking.

....this is going right over my head. Not even ducking.

 

EU or go go?

You also need some current top 40 stuff.

 

All About That Bass, for example.

 

Add some Digital Underground "Humpty Dance" as well.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.