Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

LHL Calipari Cartoon

Featured Replies

I don't care what side you are on, listen to his interview and you won't like him.

 

Why does Crean get zero blame? UK is chicken for not wanting a home and home but he isn't chicken for refusing to play them in Indianapolis??? Last I checked, that is pretty close to Indiana.

 

Perhaps he feels that home-and-homes are good for the game, whereas the soulless "neutral site" games tend to be lacking in drama and atmosphere.

  • Replies 121
  • Views 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Perhaps he feels that home-and-homes are good for the game, whereas the soulless "neutral site" games tend to be lacking in drama and atmosphere.

 

Maybe but he is just as stubborn as Cal if he is willing to cancel the series over it. I have a hard time believing a UK/IU game in Indy wouldn't have a great atmosphere.

Once again an example of how easily someone gets offended for someone else. Cal's a big boy and I doubt if he gave this a second thought, why should we?

Perhaps he feels that home-and-homes are good for the game, whereas the soulless "neutral site" games tend to be lacking in drama and atmosphere.

 

Jim, I respect your opinion but to call a neutral site game between UK and IU "soulless" is just foolish. The atmosphere at YUM Center or Lucas Oil Field would be off the charts. UK played a neutral site game against UCONN two years ago and it was a great atmosphere. I'm sure this years neutral site game against Duke will be anything but soulless.

Once again an example of how easily someone gets offended for someone else. Cal's a big boy and I doubt if he gave this a second thought, why should we?

 

You mean like how some of the defenders are offended because UK fans think the cartoonist is an idiot?

Maybe but he is just as stubborn as Cal if he is willing to cancel the series over it. I have a hard time believing a UK/IU game in Indy wouldn't have a great atmosphere.

 

Jim, I respect your opinion but to call a neutral site game between UK and IU "soulless" is just foolish. The atmosphere at YUM Center or Lucas Oil Field would be off the charts. UK played a neutral site game against UCONN two years ago and it was a great atmosphere. I'm sure this years neutral site game against Duke will be anything but soulless.

 

Sorry, but neutral site games — when compared to the passion and excitement present in the on-campus environment — don't even come close. Every one of the games/series mentioned would be exponentially better in a home-and-home format.

 

I loathe the disappearance of the home-and-home in college hoops, and Kentucky is one of the biggest culprits in this unfortunate trend, sharing guilt with many of the other top programs in the country. This is why locating Rupp Arena where it is was a bad idea. If you guys had a good on-campus arena, you'd be looking for every excuse possible to play big games there, considering Rupp's genteel environment doesn't exactly strike fear in the heart of opposing teams the way a raucous on-campus home game would.

Sorry, but neutral site games — when compared to the passion and excitement present in the on-campus environment — don't even come close. Every one of the games/series mentioned would be exponentially better in a home-and-home format.

 

I loathe the disappearance of the home-and-home in college hoops, and Kentucky is one of the biggest culprits in this unfortunate trend, sharing guilt with many of the other top programs in the country. This is why locating Rupp Arena where it is was a bad idea. If you guys had a good on-campus arena, you'd be looking for every excuse possible to play big games there, considering Rupp's genteel environment doesn't exactly strike fear in the heart of opposing teams the way a raucous on-campus home game would.

 

Are you saying UK fans should be more abusive to visiting teams/fans? AKA, more like IU?

Are you saying UK fans should be more abusive to visiting teams/fans? AKA, more like IU?

 

I will say yes, not sure I would use the term abusive. But the "blue-hairs" do not exactly create an exciting environment at Rupp most games.

Are you saying UK fans should be more abusive to visiting teams/fans? AKA, more like IU?

 

I will say yes, not sure I would use the term abusive. But the "blue-hairs" do not exactly create an exciting environment at Rupp most games.

 

Exactly. :thumb:

 

The fans who dominate Rupp Arena on game days are about as intimidating as what you might find at a symphony or a Shakespeare reading. Taking games to neutral sites only exacerbates this problem.

I'm bookmarking this thread for the next time some UK fan goes overboard. Jim says crazy is the way to be.

I'm bookmarking this thread for the next time some UK fan goes overboard. Jim says crazy is the way to be.

 

I can't believe I'm about to defend Jim Schue...but there is a big different between being loud/creating an awesome home court environment vs. being irrational on message boards or doing something "overboard" outside of the arena.

Sorry, but neutral site games — when compared to the passion and excitement present in the on-campus environment — don't even come close. Every one of the games/series mentioned would be exponentially better in a home-and-home format.

 

I loathe the disappearance of the home-and-home in college hoops, and Kentucky is one of the biggest culprits in this unfortunate trend, sharing guilt with many of the other top programs in the country. This is why locating Rupp Arena where it is was a bad idea. If you guys had a good on-campus arena, you'd be looking for every excuse possible to play big games there, considering Rupp's genteel environment doesn't exactly strike fear in the heart of opposing teams the way a raucous on-campus home game would.

 

Jim, I agree with you that in comparison it's not near as exciting but I still don't feel like it's soulless. Everything else you said I agree completely.

I can't believe I'm about to defend Jim Schue...but there is a big different between being loud/creating an awesome home court environment vs. being irrational on message boards or doing something "overboard" outside of the arena.

 

IU fans were much more than "loud" for the UK game. That's why I specifically mentioned them.

I'm bookmarking this thread for the next time some UK fan goes overboard. Jim says crazy is the way to be.

 

It's not like I'm advocating beer showers for the visiting team or anything. I've been to see a half-dozen games at Rupp in my day; a decent sampling. And I don't go to UK v. Scrubbo U. either. If I go, it's to big games — for example, I've seen 'em play UNC, Florida, UofL, etc.

 

While the atmospheres were good and relatively exciting, at no point did the atmosphere become electric the way a packed-full on-campus arena can for a big game.

Jim, I agree with you that in comparison it's not near as exciting but I still don't feel like it's soulless. Everything else you said I agree completely.

 

I used the term "soulless" for a specific reason: Those neutral site games are nothing more than money grabs, made-for-TV.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.