Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

LHL Calipari Cartoon

Featured Replies

  • Author
Clyde, 1000 may be high but if your business is struggling any loss of revenue could be impactful.

 

Best guess as to how many actually cancel because of this cartoon?

  • Replies 121
  • Views 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Zero chance, really? The internet is a very powerful thing and this has spread like wildfire. However, you could be right because they may not have many more subscribers than that left.

 

 

 

The funniest thing ever about this, is that even UK fans who don't subscribe (like you apparently) are hitting the website, sharing the picture and drawing more people to their website by doing it. :lol:

The funniest thing ever about this, is that even UK fans who don't subscribe (like you apparently) are hitting the website, sharing the picture and drawing more people to their website by doing it. :lol:

 

I haven't been to the website once. It is on a website that UK fans enjoy :thumb:

I haven't been to the website once. It is on a website that UK fans enjoy :thumb:
Oh...that one. :lol: My daughter tells me there's a cartoon someone did of Pitino on there. I won't be going to see it though. :p

 

But, to my original point, you aren't the only UK fan, and I'm 100% positive that cartoon has driven traffic to their site.

 

Might have even driven some non-UK fans there. :p

Completely disagree. It's not the content of newspapers that are causing people to stop buying. It's the timing and the mode of delivery.

 

I heard the "11 cents per week" today. I need some proof of that one.

 

Yet what is the only thing local papers have going for them? Local news, which includes local sports.

 

Not with just this but they have alienated a huge majority of their base. You would think that they realize by now how much UK basketball means to Kentucky fans. Personally, I would run with their success and make $$$ off of it.

The funniest thing ever about this, is that even UK fans who don't subscribe (like you apparently) are hitting the website, sharing the picture and drawing more people to their website by doing it. :lol:

 

I haven't been to the HL's website. I saw it on Cincinnati.com and again on KSR.

Oh...that one. :lol: My daughter tells me there's a cartoon someone did of Pitino on there. I won't be going to see it though. :p

 

But, to my original point, you aren't the only UK fan, and I'm 100% positive that cartoon has driven traffic to their site.

 

Might have even driven some non-UK fans there. :p

 

Hits may have spiked for a day or two but what really did it accomplish? Bad, bad business but nothing new from the HL.

  • Author
Yet what is the only thing local papers have going for them? Local news, which includes local sports.

 

Not with just this but they have alienated a huge majority of their base. You would think that they realize by now how much UK basketball means to Kentucky fans. Personally, I would run with their success and make $$$ off of it.

 

I heard that same argument today from Jones. Don't discount the local news aspect.

 

Again, the argument that editorial cartoons are going to hurt the newspaper is a red herring unless you're telling me every newspaper in the country has an editorial dept causing problems.

 

Any lost revenue will be insignificant.

I heard that same argument today from Jones. Don't discount the local news aspect.

 

Again, the argument that editorial cartoons are going to hurt the newspaper is a red herring unless you're telling me every newspaper in the country has an editorial dept causing problems.

 

Any lost revenue will be insignificant.

 

Very few people under the age of 45 rely on a newspaper for local news. And 45 might be too young...

I heard that same argument today from Jones. Don't discount the local news aspect.

 

Again, the argument that editorial cartoons are going to hurt the newspaper is a red herring unless you're telling me every newspaper in the country has an editorial dept causing problems.

 

Any lost revenue will be insignificant.

Simply no way possible for you to make that assessment. Let's say they lose 200 subscribers, maybe lower but I bet it is higher than 100. There's some revenue. What about people like me who don't subscribe but now will never purchase anything with Herald-Leader on it? Whether it be a special edition or whatever. Is it petty? Absolutely, but they are not the only game in town and I choose which business I want to support.

 

The fact that this guy is an IU guy makes sense but I find it funny that the entire blame is put on Cal and UK. Crean says it is either on campus or I'm taking my ball and going home. Blame is split 50/50 but everyone fails to acknowledge that.

I heard that same argument today from Jones. Don't discount the local news aspect.

 

Again, the argument that editorial cartoons are going to hurt the newspaper is a red herring unless you're telling me every newspaper in the country has an editorial dept causing problems.

 

Any lost revenue will be insignificant.

 

I don't think one cartoon or the occasional editorial would hurt the HL, but as someone who doesn't read the HL this cartoon epitomizes the stigma they have regarding UK coverage. Maybe their actual day-to-day coverage is more objective or worthwhile, but they seem to propagate the "one and done, Calipari is dirty angle" as much as some of the more deranged college fans out there. It's a hostility I don't see in sports coverage in any other outlets.

I can't believe anyone would cancel a subscription over 1 cartoon.

I can't believe anyone would cancel a subscription over 1 cartoon.

 

Believe it because it is happening. The people who did are probably fed up with all that the HL has done regarding UK and Cal. When Jerry Tipton says on national TV that the UK fanbase isn't sure about supporting this whole one and done thing, how out of touch with reality is that?

  • Author

I did laugh while listening today when Matt Jones took offense to being called "an arm of UK athletics." He scoffed at that. He absolutely is a shill for UK athletics and actually does UK a service by taking out hits on people like Pete Thamel . I'm not sure why he would be offended by that label. It's 100% true.

The funniest thing ever about this, is that even UK fans who don't subscribe (like you apparently) are hitting the website, sharing the picture and drawing more people to their website by doing it. :lol:

 

Your wrong about one thing. I have never been on their website and I have shared the picture with not one soul. Other than that you might be correct.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.