Albert Pujols almost a Cincinnati Red

LRCW

usga13_88x31.gif

albert-pujols.jpg

It sounds crazy, but ESPN’s Steve Berthiaume said that slugger Albert Pujols was close to being a Red before he signed with the Angels. Berthiaume mentioned this on a podcast with Grantland.com’s Jonah Keri when talking about the Reds. Here is the quote…

“I think, think they (the Reds) were a lot closer to getting Albert Pujols than anybody knows or anybody talked about. I think the Votto money was targeted for Pujols in the off-season and when that didn’t pan out that they said, OK, let’s keep our guy, let’s give it to Joey Votto. I think those two were more connected than anyone realizes.”

This is the first most are hearing that it was even possible. You can also listen to it yourself right here. He makes the comments at around the 24 minute mark.

Albert Pujols almost a Cincinnati Red? | Cincinnati Reds

I'm not saying he lied ... I'm saying his info wasn't very good.

I would guess his info is better info than anyone on here has.

Walt has constantly brought guys that played for the Cards while he was there here. Why is it so unbelievable that he tried with Albert? He would look pretty good hitting 4th and playing 3B until Votto left or was traded. They obviously had the money to give him since they gave it to Votto. The Votto extension came after the Pujols deal with the Angels so all of it seems pretty believable to me.

Joe Strauss hinted at this last week in his Live Chat and was completely serious.

I completely buy it, it makes sense the Reds were that "mystery team". I had heard it was a shocker, but honestly the Reds never crossed my mind till about a week ago. But wow, would that lineup be scary...

Joe Strauss hinted at this last week in his Live Chat and was completely serious.

I completely buy it, it makes sense the Reds were that "mystery team". I had heard it was a shocker, but honestly the Reds never crossed my mind till about a week ago. But wow, would that lineup be scary...

Nope. Albert is sucking it up just like the entire REds lineup is currently. They'd be scary bad.

So you all are saying this guy from ESPN completely lied about this? Laughable

Obviously Pujols would have played third until Votto left or was traded.

Yep, ESPN is spotless and never throws mudballs at the barn until one sticks.

Yep, ESPN is spotless and never throws mudballs at the barn until one sticks.

This is well after the fact. This wasn't speculating where someone might go. Big difference. Again, why make this up? He wasn't headline grabbing.

Imo this would have been okay for 4 or 5 years and then we might have been looking at the same situation as we had with Griffey Jr., a lot of money tied up in one guy and no way out of it. We can only hope that Votto's deal doesn't prove to be the same anchor around our necks.

This is well after the fact. This wasn't speculating where someone might go. Big difference. Again, why make this up? He wasn't headline grabbing.
I'll believe it when Walt comes out and says so. Otherwise, speculation.