April 15, 201214 yr Not a good group of shooters in the class overall, and it isn't a strength of Goodwin or Poythress. It will be a weakness next year... Thanks! That is the one thing that helped the last two years when it came to the tournament, they had guys who could shoot to go with being athletic. There was guys they could count on who were good enough shooters that they wouldn't keep missing all game. That is the one thing the 2010 team didn't have, and why they fell short of even the final four. So based off what you just told me, that will be the one thing I am afraid of come tournament time next year.
April 15, 201214 yr You have heard right for the most part. He isn't totally raw, but he doesn't have a developed skill set with his back to the basket. Neither did Davis, but he could do a lot of different things offensively that Noel simply doesn't have in his bag of tricks just yet... Davis came a long way this season. The biggest difference I see between the two is from the stripe. Davis was someone I wanted on the line, Nerlens I want nowhere near the line. I don't get the Tony Parker hype. He reminds me of a homeless mans' Sullinger.
April 15, 201214 yr Davis came a long way this season. The biggest difference I see between the two is from the stripe. Davis was someone I wanted on the line, Nerlens I want nowhere near the line. I don't get the Tony Parker hype. He reminds me of a homeless mans' Sullinger. The thing is Davis was a really good player on offense coming in, he just had to figure out how to make it work at the next level. Noel is pretty far behind Davis on the offensive end at the same point. When Parker has been in shape he has played really well. I couldn't believe he had gained so much weight when I saw him at the McDonald's game. I also think he really benefited from playing with Poythress on the AAU circuit...
April 15, 201214 yr The thing is Davis was a really good player on offense coming in, he just had to figure out how to make it work at the next level. Noel is pretty far behind Davis on the offensive end at the same point. When Parker has been in shape he has played really well. I couldn't believe he had gained so much weight when I saw him at the McDonald's game. I also think he really benefited from playing with Poythress on the AAU circuit... Davis has the ceiling to be a prime time offensive player. He can face the basket and not many these days even shoot a hook shot and he looks like a natural. Nerlens seems to be athletic but Davis' experience as a guard really helped him out. The weight game for Parker has to be a concern. If he's still fat when he officially hits the court it tells me a bit about his character.
April 15, 201214 yr The weight game for Parker has to be a concern. If he's still fat when he officially hits the court it tells me a bit about his character. If he doesn't get it back together he and Josh Smith will make up the most flabby front court in NCAA history...
April 15, 201214 yr GT do I have blue goggles on with seeing that Goodwin and Poythess aren't just as good as Muhammad?
April 15, 201214 yr GT do I have blue goggles on with seeing that Goodwin and Poythess aren't just as good as Muhammad? A notch below, but it isn't a big notch. Love Bazz, but he isn't a transcendent top of the class type guy...
April 15, 201214 yr I didn't realize Goodwin was as good a ball handler as he is. Looks like Cal will have to get back to a lot more DD next year with these slashers and the big kid to catch the lob.
April 15, 201214 yr I didn't realize Goodwin was as good a ball handler as he is. Looks like Cal will have to get back to a lot more DD next year with these slashers and the big kid to catch the lob. I've been watching Goodwin for what seems like forever as he played up a level or two from his freshman year on. He was always solid with the ball in his hands, but has taken it to the next level over the last year. If he can add a consistent jumper the kid is going to be off the charts. Fun kid to watch play for sure...
April 15, 201214 yr That is the second dirty play Shabazz has made against Noel! I noticed that too. Actually 3 so far when I was watching.
April 15, 201214 yr Only watched the first few minutes, Noel certainly went after most shots, suprised he ended with just 3 blocks which he got early, did he not play much with foul trouble or did that change his approach when he was in?
April 15, 201214 yr Not a good group of shooters in the class overall, and it isn't a strength of Goodwin or Poythress. It will be a weakness next year... Not if Lamb comes back and that is what I am hearing along with Kyle the shooting would be fine.
April 15, 201214 yr Not if Lamb comes back and that is what I am hearing along with Kyle the shooting would be fine. Sure hope you are right!!!!
April 16, 201214 yr Totally forgot that this game was on Saturday and I'm bummed after hearing out well our three studs looked. I caught the last few minutes at the bar. I heard Goodwin and Poythress looked really well.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.