she “never worked a day in her life."

Ann Romney, wife of presumptive GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney, responded Thursday to remarks by Democratic strategist Hilary Rosen that she “never worked a day in her life."

Romney, who has raised five children, said on Fox News Channel that her career choice was to be a mother and that Rosen should have been in her house when "those boys caused so much trouble."

==========================

And the part in bold cracks me up more than the "attack." LOL

Ann Romney defends husband on women, says Democratic attack 'bothers' her | Fox News

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The democrats are just angry that they have not figured out a way to tax stay at home moms. And stay-at-home moms usually vote Republican.

If you do not generate taxes for the government or votes for Democrats then you are an worthless in their view.

Isn't that the same view the anti-tax crowd likes to take when it comes welfare recipients? Just sayin' …

I remember our 6th grade English teacher telling us not to dare say our mother's didn't work when we were doing our family biographies. Would have loved to have seen Ms. Rosen tell my mom that after raising 5 boys. Would have been ugly, and quick.

The democrats are just angry that they have not figured out a way to tax stay at home moms. And stay-at-home moms usually vote Republican.

If you do not generate taxes for the government or votes for Democrats then you are an worthless in their view.

How utterly hyperbolic of you. My parents are Democrats, as were their parents. All the females in my family were stay at home moms. It wasn't until my generation that the females became working moms, and out of necessity, not a political statement.

I remember our 6th grade English teacher telling us not to dare say our mother's didn't work when we were doing our family biographies. Would have loved to have seen Ms. Rosen tell my mom that after raising 5 boys. Would have been ugly, and quick.

Ditto for my Mom and for Henry.

Heck, I think a lot of working moms work outside the house because they can't handle staying at home!:D A stay at home Mom has the most difficult, stressful, thankless job I can think of. I've got zero problem admitting that there is no way I could be a stay at home Dad raising kids.

I love that this turned into an attack on stay-at-home moms. This was clearly another jab at the Romneys' tremendous wealth. Her point was that she didn't get to make that "choice." She had to go to work to support a family. The Romneys' wealth allowed Ann Romney to stay home with the kids. Rosen's even said this herself in follow-ups: "When I said Ann Romney never worked I meant she never had to care for her kids AND earn a paycheck like MOST American women!"

She's using the example of Romney's wife to poke at him for what she considers his feigned concern for women's issues. Romney has said he speaks to his wife on women's issues and Rosen finds it laughable that Ann Romney would have any idea what it's like for the average American woman. This is about wealth, not about choice. I'm not certain that makes it better, but this isn't an attack on conservative family values or whatever it is people are getting so worked up about.

FWIW, neither Romney NOR Rosen have a life remotely resembling what an average American woman's is like. This is political theater.

Edited by Getslow

I think it's important to remember in all the outrage that not all "stay at home moms" have the same obligations. I'm strickly guessing here but I doubt that Mrs. Romney has had to do very little laundry, cooking and cleaning during her career. Maybe I'm sterotyping but I'd doubt that most mulitmillionaire stay at home mom's have it so hard.

How utterly hyperbolic of you. My parents are Democrats, as were their parents. All the females in my family were stay at home moms. It wasn't until my generation that the females became working moms, and out of necessity, not a political statement.

I was addressing national Democratic leaders - i.e. Pelosi, Reid, Waxman, Wasserman, etc.

The brush was way too broad without context.

I actually very much like my Democratic state representative and do not believe he is just out for tax dollars or votes.

Isn't that the same view the anti-tax crowd likes to take when it comes welfare recipients? Just sayin' …

Long term, institutionalized welfare is a tool of the very left Democratic NATIONAL crowd to keep votes they control on the dole and as a block.

Long term, institutionalized welfare is a tool of the very left Democratic NATIONAL crowd to keep votes they control on the dole and as a block.

Maybe so, maybe not. Doesn't change the fact that it's hypocritical for Republicans to complain about "fair tax" this and that and welfare recipients not paying any taxes (even though they do, just not income taxes) while accusing Democrats of thinking of stay-at-home moms as lesser-thans because they aren't paying into the system. You can't have it both ways.

And your broad brush of "all stay-at-home moms vote Republican" is laughable. My mom did the stay-at-home thing for two decades, and when I told her I changed my registration from D to I she was ready to choke me.

As others have noted, the only families who can afford to have a stay-at-home mom (or dad) are the very wealthy. Sure, there are some exceptions, but if they aren't very wealthy, those families are making extreme sacrifices economically by opting for a single wage-earner household.

Today's stay-at-home moms tend to vote GOP because they can afford to, like Mrs. Romney, not because there is a causality relationship between voting tendencies and homemaking.

Maybe so, maybe not. Doesn't change the fact that it's hypocritical for Republicans to complain about "fair tax" this and that and welfare recipients not paying any taxes (even though they do, just not income taxes) while accusing Democrats of thinking of stay-at-home moms as lesser-thans because they aren't paying into the system. You can't have it both ways.

And your broad brush of "all stay-at-home moms vote Republican" is laughable. My mom did the stay-at-home thing for two decades, and when I told her I changed my registration from D to I she was ready to choke me.

As others have noted, the only families who can afford to have a stay-at-home mom (or dad) are the very wealthy. Sure, there are some exceptions, but if they aren't very wealthy, those families are making extreme sacrifices economically by opting for a single wage-earner household.

Today's stay-at-home moms tend to vote GOP because they can afford to, like Mrs. Romney, not because there is a causality relationship between voting tendencies and homemaking.

It's hypocritical for Obama and the left to attack the right for their "war on women". Take a look at Obama White House, female employees make considerably less than their male colleagues, yet we hear his rhetoric.