Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Louisville 72 Florida 68

Featured Replies

I'm not around here too often anymore regardless of how the season's going, but I did pop in a time or two in the spring of 2011. Regardless, I know RP and I know his fan allegiance is no different this year from last.

  • Replies 131
  • Views 18.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't know a single one and I know A LOT of UK fans. Would venture to say quite a few more than you.

 

I've met tons of them over the years, mostly in NoKy. It seems to be a common phenomenon along the Ohio-Ky border as a way to lessen the disappointment of another typical year of UK football. Seems to be quite prevalent in the Ashland area.

 

A lot of you younger guys may have witnessed the benefit of the streak of bowl games for UK in that a lot of those two-way fans felt it OK to cheer for UK when they were winning a few games against scrub teams in the non-conference season in order to be bowl-eligible, and have perhaps abandoned their schizophrenic loyalty dilemma.

I've met tons of them over the years, mostly in NoKy. It seems to be a common phenomenon along the Ohio-Ky border as a way to lessen the disappointment of another typical year of UK football. Seems to be quite prevalent in the Ashland area.

 

A lot of you younger guys may have witnessed the benefit of the streak of bowl games for UK in that a lot of those two-way fans felt it OK to cheer for UK when they were winning a few games against scrub teams in the non-conference season in order to be bowl-eligible, and have perhaps abandoned their schizophrenic loyalty dilemma.

 

I don't get the two-school two-sport thing. Growing up when there was no UK football on TV and when I was in grade school I became a ND fan simply because A)they were on TV and b)I watched highlights on Sunday morning.

 

I think you root for a school first for all sports. Even though I'm an XU fan I'm UK first and foremost in all sports. The two-school two-sport thing feels "frontrunner-ish" to me.

I don't get the two-school two-sport thing. Growing up when there was no UK football on TV and when I was in grade school I became a ND fan simply because A)they were on TV and b)I watched highlights on Sunday morning.

 

I think you root for a school first for all sports. Even though I'm an XU fan I'm UK first and foremost in all sports. The two-school two-sport thing feels "frontrunner-ish" to me.

 

Growing up, I never, ever saw UK football on TV, and I think that led a lot of NoKy people adopting OSU as their team for football (or NDU).

For the sake of settling this argument for the 1000th time....

 

I was born in Brooklyn, New York.....moved to South Florida, and then here (Louisville).....the very first college basketball game that I ever remember seeing was the 1986 Championship Game, my older brother said he was going to root for Louisville, that obviously meant I was rooting for Duke (they then went Final Four crazy after that), thus my fandom was sealed....now as a very little boy, I was a Notre Dame football fan (and I kind of am now, but not really)....when Brian Brohm decided to go to Louisville, I decided to invest in one of my father in law's season tickets, and am now a huge Louisville football fan, and essentially all of their other sports, as they are my hometown team.....my allegiance lies as follows:

 

Trinity everything

Louisville football

Duke Basketball

Louisville everything else

NY Mets

 

Now, if you don't like that answer, TOUGH, I'll keep rooting for who I root for!!!

I've met tons of them over the years, mostly in NoKy. It seems to be a common phenomenon along the Ohio-Ky border as a way to lessen the disappointment of another typical year of UK football. Seems to be quite prevalent in the Ashland area.

 

A lot of you younger guys may have witnessed the benefit of the streak of bowl games for UK in that a lot of those two-way fans felt it OK to cheer for UK when they were winning a few games against scrub teams in the non-conference season in order to be bowl-eligible, and have perhaps abandoned their schizophrenic loyalty dilemma.

I cheer for UK in all sports. But don't really follow football at all...period.
I think you root for a school first for all sports. Even though I'm an XU fan I'm UK first and foremost in all sports. The two-school two-sport thing feels "frontrunner-ish" to me.
Couldn't agree more. It's funny how you never see something like a UK football fan but an Ohio State basketball fan...
A lot of you younger guys may have witnessed the benefit of the streak of bowl games for UK in that a lot of those two-way fans felt it OK to cheer for UK when they were winning a few games against scrub teams in the non-conference season in order to be bowl-eligible, and have perhaps abandoned their schizophrenic loyalty dilemma.
You think this same phenomena has caused a lot of UL football fans to abandon any other previous "allegiances"?
I've met tons of them over the years, mostly in NoKy. It seems to be a common phenomenon along the Ohio-Ky border as a way to lessen the disappointment of another typical year of UK football. Seems to be quite prevalent in the Ashland area.
In all fairness I have only recently began to expand into NoKY. Still don't know any but I can see it. As I said...I'll call any two-school two-sport fans on it regardless if one of those "allegiances" happens to be UK.
You think this same phenomena has caused a lot of UL football fans to abandon any other previous "allegiances"?

 

I absolutely do. I still see a fair smattering of UofL fans who like Notre Dame football (spending 12 years in Archdiocese of Louisville schools will do that; SO MANY people that cheer for Notre Dame in addition to whoever else), but I don't think it's as common as it used to be.

You think this same phenomena has caused a lot of UL football fans to abandon any other previous "allegiances"?

 

Yeah. I'm one of them. I used to hold a soft spot for Florida State (Deion and Bobby Bowden had a lot to do with that choice) so that I had some kind of stake in the national championship discussion back in the day. I started splitting my loyalties in football once Louisville started becoming relevant under Howard Schnellenberger, and as Louisville's profile continued to rise I gradually drifted away from Florida State. The startup of the UK-UofL football series played a big role in this as well.

I've met tons of them over the years, mostly in NoKy. It seems to be a common phenomenon along the Ohio-Ky border as a way to lessen the disappointment of another typical year of UK football. Seems to be quite prevalent in the Ashland area.

 

A lot of you younger guys may have witnessed the benefit of the streak of bowl games for UK in that a lot of those two-way fans felt it OK to cheer for UK when they were winning a few games against scrub teams in the non-conference season in order to be bowl-eligible, and have perhaps abandoned their schizophrenic loyalty dilemma.

 

Really? I've lived in N. Ky pretty much my entire life and I don't know a single person who pulls for UK in basketball and OSU in football. I do know several folks that cheer for OSU across the board (including a nephew).

This is a quote from Pitino in the Courier-Journal in an article tonight. I think it's a much more accurate representation of his feelings:

 

“I keep trying to tell our fans, we’re not Kentucky, we have no desire to be Kentucky,” Pitino said. “We think they’re excellent. We think they’re great. I coached there. It’s great. Great tradition. We want to be Louisville. We have a different mission. We both want to get to a Final Four and win a championship. ... If that happens, it would be awesome. Awesome for the state.”

 

You're trying to make stuff up that isn't there.

 

What is UL's different mission? That's an odd statement particularly when Pitino went on to say they both want to get to the FF and win a championship. Seems like the same mission to me.

Did anyone pick up on Pitino slamming UK by saying outside of this kids being born this was the happiest moment of his life?

 

Do you think that given his past, ahem, indiscretions, it might have been prudent of him to include his wedding day along with the births of his kids as the moments that made him happier than UL making the FF? :D

Growing up, I never, ever saw UK football on TV, and I think that led a lot of NoKy people adopting OSU as their team for football (or NDU).

 

I was a big Ohio State fan when Archie Griffin, Corny Greene, Pete Johnson, et al were on TV every week.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.