Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

wkyfootballfan

Former Member
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by wkyfootballfan

  1. Couldn't agree more! Had some great staffs, great rosters, and some great seasons.
  2. Don't forget Mr. Do Everything Kanyon Johnson at Madisonville North -1,900+ Passing Yards -18 Passing TDs; 5 INTs -1,200+ Rushing Yards -16 Rushing TDs
  3. If I am a coach; I would be veryyyyy happy to have either of them on my team!
  4. Not what I said at all... I said it's not JUST Graves kids who move to another school for football. I don't really think it was "Treated wrong," as much as "I don't want to run the 1980s Offense and lose to Mayfield." The dad was a coach at Murray and his sister still goes there. You can call it what you want by saying hes "From Mayfield," but no not it. The Whiteside kid went to Calloway all while younger, I don't know how many years it takes to become from somewhere. I mean, my family has been in WKY since I can remember.. but we are initially from Ireland; does that make me Irish because my family used to live there? Again, I get it w/ the McCracken QB. It happens everywhere It happens everywhere; Mayfields are just normally more impactful then most. But yes; more people move to FOR football purposes than any other school in the area.. Only one close is PT... Not a bad thing, nothing Mayfield is doing wrong or the kids. But if you really think its the same everywhere; you are delusional or just really one sided.
  5. I think that's a district thing. I know a few coaches who have been head coaches and administration. Some schools do not like that due to favoritism, but I do know it is possible if Graves wanted to do it. If I'm Hatchell, I don't know if I would want to leave Mayfield for Graves. Maybe he is tired of the state trips and wants a new challenge?
  6. 100% Best case scenario for Graves. Only thing is that I don't agree with the experience part. I know that is what everyone hangs their hat on; but as long as hes been the OC at Mayfield, the dude has the experience. I hate when young guns get passed up all the time because of that. If Dan Lanning can be a DC for TWO years, then become the head coach of a Top 10 FBS program and run it well; I think a experienced high school coach can handle a 5A Kentucky High School.
  7. Obviously I am not sure of what their current guy is. I just know he has done a fantastic job.... See, if we'd gave him his flowers earlier dumb dumbs like me would have known! Great job Coach JOHNS... ALL-Time Winningest Union Coach, Coach Johns
  8. According to TCC Twitter; Coach Josh Robins has resigned. Who we like to fill that position?
  9. Absolutely... State title on its way to Danville again.
  10. Nope, but prime example is that Graves QB in that game lived 5 minutes from Mayfield and transferred to Graves. Kids make the most difference on the field; not the coaches. I love Joe Morris, but if he was the head coach at Marshall, Calloway, Murray, etc; he has no rings. Mayfield still has some; maybe not as many because Joe is a hall of fame coach and great at adjusting to things, but Mayfield players still would have their dawg mentality. Again, if I was a kid; I would love to be a Cardinal. It's not just Graves kids, it is everyone around here. There is a Murray kid (Biggers), a Calloway kid (Whiteside), no telling the Graves kids at Mayfield... Kids want to win. It's easier to go where winning is expected then to go build something. Nothing wrong with that; that's the new way. If I was a Mayfield coach, ain't no way I'm turning down kids. You think PT had to question if they wanted the pair of TN Kids? More the merrier!
  11. If I had my pick from this list; I would take Courtney in a heartbeat over the other two.
  12. College Guys around here -Robinson (Troy) -Berry (MSU) -Burkeen (MSU & APSU) -Lopez @ Hopkinsville (Memphis) -Cunningham (Marshall) -Dickerson @ Murray (Lindsey Wilson Maybe) -Price @ Madisonville (WKU) Don't think it "has" to be a college guy, but it doesn't hurt. Graves has the numbers to do some similar things, but not to the two-platoon level or anything.
  13. This was the state championship in my eyes.
  14. I don't think its Mayfield purposely intimidating anyone. I think its the opponents (95%) of the time seeing those helmets and that mentality and they already know they are in for a long night. Its history that intimidates everyone.
  15. You are exactly right. They do not have a better safety and the QB is pretty close. The issue is that Boyle is 10x more discipline. There isn't a issue of athletes. PT is probably the most athletic all around. Boyle is just discipline, sound, hit you in the mouth and force you to mess up football.
  16. Not ready at ALL!!! And Franklin isn't bad... Boyle is just different. The State game was a week ago (Boyle v Corbin). We should have awarded Boyle the trophy and then let Franklin, Corbin, Cov Cath and PT battle for 2nd.
  17. At least three of them are on the WISH list lol, but wanted to mention as many people that was spoken on. Football coach, especially head at a good school is a very desired job!
  18. Murray and Calloway will be electric this year! Big Year for English, Finley and Butler. Big time players all in the area!
  19. Graves County can be a great job! I have heard a lot of names that have been floating around over the Thanksgiving weekend (My whole family is full of football people). Some of the names are people who have applied/called, some of the people are dark horses, some are on the Eagles wish list to Santa! In-House Options *Lance Gregory -For obvious reasons, a great option. In House and knows the kids well. Previous head coach with great success at Graves. Interim Coach for Coach Kemp this past season and did a great job getting thrown in. He led Graves to a state championship game a few years ago and knows his stuff well. Would not mind seeing Graves remove the interim tag. He stepped down at one point as the Graves Coach, maybe there was a reason it was just a interim though? *Bobby Potts -In house, been a Graves coach for what seems like forever now. (Probably 10 years). He has experience as a coordinator and has helped Graves offense do some great things in his time there. I believe the kids really like him. I've never been in the huddle/locker room with him, so I am not sure how strong of a leader he is, but still a great coach and great option. If we keep it in house, I would love to see Bobby get the job. If he doesn't, I really hope he stays. Head Coaches Around WKY *Marc Clark -I don't really like this hire or the guy in all honesty, but this isn't about my choice. I don't know how serious the talk was, but his name has been mentioned. He had success early at McCracken and has yet to find his footing at Hopkinsville. I believe he is counting on the merger, but what he has produced may not make it that long. Maybe his success at McCracken was what was left for him? Either way, he has had success on this side of the Lake and could possibly do the same at Graves. I believe his name and past success would be a interest topic for Graves admins. *Jonathan Smith -McCrackens current Head Coach and has done a good job turning the place around from Clark's years. He is a raw-raw loud coach, but he produces. I think he has started flipping McCracken back to a big time program in the area, but I think he quickly saw what lies ahead in 6A. No other reason to leave McCracken then knowing Trinity and Male await you. *Steve Etheridge -Yes yes I know he is not a head coach anymore, but he still counts. A great offensive mind at McCracken with loaded talent. Left after a few years of success and took the Marshall job. Going from McCracken County talent and care to Marshall County lack of talent and Soccer love is a tough gig. It would be hard for anyone, even Joe Morris to flip that place quickly, so maybe that's not all on him. Maybe he was riding the last coat tails of the Haskins success at McCracken? Either way, he has put up numbers to prove he can call the offense. At one time, McCracken's offense was one of the best in the state. I think people will ride his Marshall years a lot harder than he is at fault. One of the first WKY teams to bring the wing/TE back to the area and did a fantastic job. Graves is built for his scheme. *Chris Champion -Calloway County's head coach for the past few seasons. A Mayfield kid who has had success and won multiple rings with the Cardinals. A home-area kid with a lot of experience. He has had little success at Calloway, but I believe a lot of that is the school and not that staff, much like Marshall. The Willis-Brockman era was one in a million. A basketball school with little care for football, but in the right place Champion could be fantastic. He has taken a young, YOUNG, core at Calloway and started to show progress. A very tough thing to do.. I'm not sure if the Mayfield rivalry still burns in him, but it would be a great step up for him. I would love to see him get the success he has deserved at Calloway. *Melvin Cunningham (DARK HORSE) -Cunningham is coming off year one at Murray High. A out of state guy with little connections and ties to the community. He didn't wow anyone at Murray, hell some people think he underachieved, but he had some success. I think the second game may have hit home that Mayfield isn't someone hes "Coming to beat them" as he apparently told Joe (Hear say, wasn't at the first game). Graves is already set up to run his offense and is far superior. Would be a step up for him. He has great college connections and was a former player. I saw that he took Murray to work with NFL QB Chad Pennington. Knowing people is a great tool. Again, he may be happy at Murray and may move closer to home if he really wants to leave. I think Graves size would allow Cunningham to run his spread attack even better though. Random Coaches *Hugo Hernandez -Has led Murray Middle school program for a few years and helped on Friday nights. His name was thrown around and highly regarded in Murray's last coaching search. I believe a lot of people would be scared off since he has been a middle school coach majority of his time, but coaching is coaching and teaching is teaching. Kids absolutely love this guy and can motivate them with the best of them. He might be a little sour since he was a close hire for Murray and could look for a new home. What he did with Murray middle last season was fantastic and I would love to see him get a big chance. He led their middle school from average to undefeated, all while keeping middle school parents happy (biggest wow factor). Experience will be the biggest issue with Hugo as the head coach. I know that if Hugo got a chance, those kids would play as hard as any team in the state and love doing it. *Jordan Burkeen -Currently Calloway County's OC. Has college coaching experience and a great Xs and Os coach, but has had little success at Calloway. This is another guy that I believe people would be scared to hire since his teams hasn't won a lot of games as I mentioned about Champion. All still applies to him as well, very tough place to win. Calloway has put up great offensive numbers at times, but also had rough stretches. Graves would be a big step up in talent and could really have an explosive offense. A young, fiery coach that seems to be a favorite of the players, but again, the lack of experience and winning isn't there. I would love to see him run the offense at Graves and watch them take off. *Corey Robinson -I think Corey would love the opportunity to be the head man. The former Troy QB and record setting Lone Oak QB has been the mastermind behind Paducah Tilghman's high powered offense recently. While the talent level would drop significantly, I believe the opportunity to be the man is enticing. I think Graves would jump at the chance to hire Corey, but I don't know if they will get the chance. A great run this season, he may want to run it back again and try one more time at Paducah while James is still there. With that middle school QB, he may never want to leave though. Paducah or Graves, Robinson will produce a top tier offense. Either way, Robinson would do a fantastic job at Graves as a football coach, I'm not sure how the in-school part would go. *Austin Berry -Currently Crittenden County's OC. I believe he took over when Thompson took the PT job a few years back. Crittenden is never the most talented squad on their schedule, but they always produce and always play exteremly hard. Their offense isn't full of game breakers or special players, but he has always put up good numbers. The kids have a hard nosed mentality and they run the ball well. The QB they had this year was great in big time moments and I think Berry is the reason he was in those situations. Graves has always had great running backs. If Berry got a chance, I think their run game becomes one of the best in the state. *Steven Hatchell -This is a long shot and probably on Graves administrations wish list. The man that has called more offensive touchdowns than anyone on this list. Hatchell has been amazing for a long long time at Mayfield. It doesn't matter what players they have, he makes it work. He is a Graves County kid and could MAYBE want to come home since Joe isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I know he wouldn't walk in the door and replicate Mayfield's success, but he could probably put up some good wins for them. The issue isn't Graves here, it is him wanting Graves. *Cliff Dew -Another Mayfield guy and another long shot hire for the Eagles. Dew is a former D1 football player (Ole Miss) and a amazing defensive coordinator. He has made a career of making 5'8 lockdown cornerbacks. Dew is getting up there in age and maybe would want one last go as the head skipper. Much like Hatchell, Joe isn't going anywhere. The difference is Dew doesn't have as many years left as Hatchell. Maybe the Eagles can steal away the defensive mastermind from the rival and start something special. While both Mayfield candidates would be at the top of the list, I am not sure Graves can lure either one away. It is much more likely Mike Rogers gets lured back then either of them!! Again, all these are hear say. Some from important people in the administration, some from other coaches in the area, some from my cousin who might have people on the inside, but yet may have had one or two drinks by this time. There are always outliers. Out of State Coaches are always a option. I believe there are atleast two I know interested. Then again, there are always the surprise ones like Thompson leaving Crittenden. I can't wait to see who it is!
  20. Great story of two great programs. O-Cath has a fantastic QB in Atwell and always has a high powered offense. What he has done with the offense has propelled them even more. Mayfield brings the history and the dawg mentality back to state to redeem themselves. Already revenging the loss the BW and the domination of #1 CAL and UK QB Boley, I think Mayfield is just too much. I think Mayfield forces Atwell into one too many mistakes and JuJu runs the rock!
  21. Congratulations Hart County. I know I am late, but this team is great. Union has been a great team recently and this was a hard fought win. Also, let's give Steven Carter his flowers for what he has done!
  22. I have never been happier for a player than I was for that Kicker. The kid redeemed himself and helped Mayfield advance. The score was close and it was a fantastic game, but Mayfield let it become that way. One or two things different for BW and they win... One or two things different for Mayfield and its a blow out. Mayfield needs to clean up some stuff and get ready to win another!

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.