Everything posted by Straitshooter
-
Henry Clay 93 Frederick Douglass 73
Still puts them with a district loss. In a 5 team district now, that can be big to avoid being in that 4/5 game.
-
Henry Clay 93 Frederick Douglass 73
KHSAA suspension from playing in the Julius Randle game.
-
Madison Central 78 Madison Southern 47
I believe they draw for district seeds so this game doesn't have postseason implications. Both coaches would probably agree that they want to get it out of the way early before anyone knows much about either team. Just my guess.
-
Playoff Player Ejections
We had a kid ejected for something we considered to be misinterpreted. Here is the response we got straight from the KHSAA: Have looked at the play. Can only be appealed in the case of a misapplication (perhaps an ejection of a coach for only one unsportsmanlike foul that isn't flagrant, or a kid for a personal foul that isn't flagrant combined with an unsportsmanlike (the rules require two unsportsmanlike fouls for ejection if one isn't flagrant). The only other way is if the wrong player is identified (usually deals with transposed numbers). In this case, there is no doubt that the kid ejected is properly identified. Whether or not his act merited ejection is a judgement call, and that of course, cannot be appealed. The blow to the opponent was, in the eyes of the official, judged to be enough to warrant ejection. That judgement call is not subject to appeal per Bylaw 21. Thank Coach for submitting the video, which may in fact help in future training, etc., but there is no appeal from that one.
-
St. Xavier 48 Scott County 35
I guess he doesn't count his forfeit to Lafayette. By my count, that would be 3.
-
#7 Frederick Douglass vs. #2 Scott County (6A Quarterfinals)
People that believe Fayette County's system of suspending before investigating obviously don't work in a school system. This is standard protocol for any employee. Anyone that is accused of anything is suspended (with pay) until the investigation is complete. The system is not stupid. It is precautionary. Imagine if someone is accused of something egregious and the person is not suspended. Would you want your child in a classroom with them or playing for them until they are found to be guilty? I don't know anything about this situation, but it sounds like FCPS moved fairly swiftly and time lost was minimal and the coach was able to return to the sidelines. I've seen investigations take months sometimes.
-
Board of Control on Future Hoops Calendar, Regional Alignment & State Advancement
I agree. I would love for the opportunity for my county to be represented 3 times in the sweet 16. The shifting in the 11th region did nothing to alleviate the brutal schedule the 43rd district has to go through every year with Dunbar, Lafayette, Lexington Catholic, Tates Creek, and LCA. There will still be 18 teams in the 11th region- which is always a tough one to get out of.
-
8 Players suspended for playing with Randle
Which means it really only applies to basketball. There aren't too many football leagues or games going on outside of high school.
-
Jalen Johnson back to Hoptown?
I agree. Aspire really has nothing to do with this. Since these kids attend DeSales (I think it is) then his eligibility lies with DeSales. If he did not play any varsity sport so far this year for DeSales then he should be good to go at Hopkinsville.
-
Trading Films
You trade film because its the sportsmanship thing to do. This is high school football. Most of our teams are practicing on a field with the track team running around the field, soccer teams using the other half, or the practice field right up next to the road where everyone can see practice. We can't keep anything a secret anyway. Also, coaching is a fraternity. You trade film with someone because you want to have a positive relationship with other coaches. You never know, you may need that coach to share some film with you later on down the road. If you don't share, then I'm willing to bet they aren't helping you out when you need it.
-
Open Job: Paul Laurence Dunbar
FCPS is a different animal. They don't allow volunteer assistant coaches, head coaches are expected to teach as well, the district provides little money for the program other than the head coach stipend and helmet reconditioning. FCPS mandates you play all schools in the district, so you have little flexibility to bring in teams that you can beat on your schedule. Plus, that's a tough district. You aren't guaranteed to make the playoffs (the only 6A district like that) and getting past your 3rd round game w/ Scott County is always going to be tough.
-
Referees Used In The Playoffs
I have had mixed opinions. Unfortunately, sometimes you get refs that have never seen the speed and size that maybe two Louisville teams or Lexington teams have and it makes for a poorly called game.
-
John Rodenberg is out at Moeller (OH)
I know nothing about Cincinnati or Ohio HS Football, but I did go to a Moeller game this year. I was unimpressed with the atmosphere. An off campus/shared facility that is old and tired. Only thing I have to compare it to is a Trinity game and the experience is not even close to being the same. I expected better. The Moeller head coach seemed like a good dude and I don't really know what their expectations are but didn't they beat the #1 team in OH just a couple weeks ago?
-
Did Scott County vote to build new high school?
Looks like they've already had groundbreaking. Groundbreaking for new Scott County high school announced for Sept. 1 | Lexington Herald Leader