Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Playoff Player Ejections

Featured Replies

Does the KHSAA need to take a look at how their officials are handling player ejections in the playoffs? For the second year in a row, a key player is most likely going to miss a late round playoff game due to being ejected from a game. On the face of it, you might say that is the price you pay if you get ejected. The problem I see is twofold:

 

1. Should the players have even been ejected?

 

2. There is no remedy or appeal for an ejected player.

 

Let's look at the two player ejections. (I am not going to name the players because I don't think it is relevant nor fair to them.)

 

Last year a LB for Mayfield was ejected from a game for what the officials called targeting. This was highly disputed by many. It was a big hit that unfortunately hit the player high. If it was targeting, I don't believe player ejection is a valid penalty in high school. Yet the officials ejected the player for targeting. This meant the player missed the next playoff game also under KHSAA rules.

 

Friday night two players were ejected in the Beechwood/Campbellsville game. This situation happened after a play was over following a big hit on a block by the Beechwood player. The Beechwood player jumped to his feet, pumped up about the big hit. The Campbellsville player did not like it and reached out and grabbed the Beechwood player's leg. The Beechwood player yanked his leg away and the officials' flags flew. Both players were ejected from the game. No punches. A scuffle like what you see on a regular basis in football games. Unsportsmanlike conduct on both players was called and rightfully so. The problem is both players were also ejected. Now the Beechwood player is going to most likely miss the state title game due to KHSAA rules.

 

The end result is we have high school players missing huge, once in a lifetime games because of KHSAA rules. Even if these ejections by the officials were unwarranted, the player cannot play the next game under KHSAA rules the way they are written. The KHSAA is going to stand behind their officials no matter what. All sports organizations do. The problem is I don't believe there is an appeal process that would allow these players due process and an opportunity to plea their case to avoid the one game suspension. The one game suspension is automatic under the current rules. All you can appeal is to keep the penalty to just one game and not more.

 

What is the solution? Why are officials ejecting players in playoff games in very borderline situations? Should there be an appeal process that will allow a player due process and an opportunity to avoid a one game suspension?

  • Replies 65
  • Views 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ejections can be appealed but I do not know if one has ever been overturned.

 

Bottom line is this, don't get thrown out.

 

Players must be aware of the moment and understand the consequences. Especially in the playoffs, when a team knows they are beat, become more eager to initiate altercations.

 

You must be able to handle this high level of emotion and understand the consequences.

 

I heard an ejected player once say "I am not gonna let him do that to my brother (team mate)" That's fine and admirable, but understand you will sit out the next game no matter what stage of the playoffs you are in. It comes down to what you value most.

  • Author

I hear you 85_Rebel, but what about players being ejected when they should not have been ejected? IMO, none of these players should have been ejected. Did the officials over react in a big game? Now the players pay an unfair price with no opportunity to appeal the one game suspension.

Both players were not ejected.. the Campbellsville player that was ejected was a player that left the sideline and came out onto the field... the Campbellsville player involved in the altercation was not ejected.

I don't remember the details, but I'm pretty sure FS had a player ejected earlier this season and FS appealed it and won and the player participated in the next game. Word is that other officials working the game told Coach Preston to appeal it because it was ridiculous that the one official had ejected the player.

The problem here is if you look at the film the Campbellsville player had the Beechwood player by the facemask then after the Beechwood player knocked his hand off off his facemask did the Campbellsville player grab the ankle of the Beechwood player all the while the White Hat Official is watching what is going on. Had the White Hat Official called a facemask penalty right away and not let it escalate to the point of the player grabbing the ankle it would have all been over with.

Bottom line is this, don't get thrown out.

 

This is all that really needs to be said...

 

The last thing any official wants to do is toss a kid, whether or not it’s a playoff game. But just because it is the playoffs doesn’t mean they should officiate any differently.

 

Don’t put yourself in the position to get tossed. Really that simple.

Both players were not ejected.. the Campbellsville player that was ejected was a player that left the sideline and came out onto the field... the Campbellsville player involved in the altercation was not ejected.

 

So, completely justified ejection. Thanks for the clarification.

I think you’re right on VOR, we shouldn’t hold kids responsible for their actions. We need to continue teaching them there are no consequences. We should just do away with officials during the playoffs bc everyone else knows better on what really happened, was said, what was “fair” or whether the kid should or shouldn’t have been penalized or ejected.

This is all that really needs to be said...

 

The last thing any official wants to do is toss a kid, whether or not it’s a playoff game. But just because it is the playoffs doesn’t mean they should officiate any differently.

 

Don’t put yourself in the position to get tossed. Really that simple.

 

I agree but if someone grabs you by the leg after the play you might react. It wasn't close to a fight but maybe the ref saw something else. The white hat struggled all night. I was worried about him.

I agree but if someone grabs you by the leg after the play you might react. It wasn't close to a fight but maybe the ref saw something else. The white hat struggled all night. I was worried about him.

 

I’m not calling for the kids to be emotionless robots, but you have to be smart enough to know getting tossed likely ends your season and/or career.

Some of you are missing the point. He is talking about unwarranted ejections. If you read the rule for targeting I don’t believe it is eject able in high school. But that’s what was applied. And I think that was mentioned to officials before this season. VOR is also saying there should be an ability to appeal quickly (which I agree) and get a fair response. Not just side with officials to save face. I don’t think any official wants to eject a player either but they are part time officials doing their best and I’m sure if they made a mistake they would want the player reinstated.... I also believe reinstatement could depend on where a player goes to school. JMO!!

  • Author
I think you’re right on VOR, we shouldn’t hold kids responsible for their actions. We need to continue teaching them there are no consequences. We should just do away with officials during the playoffs bc everyone else knows better on what really happened, was said, what was “fair” or whether the kid should or shouldn’t have been penalized or ejected.

 

I call baloney on this post. Let's talk about the facts in these instances and not get off on some high horse the world is falling apart stuff.

 

_____________________________________________

 

My big point here is if officials make a mistake, the players should have an opportunity to appeal and be reinstated the next game. I don't think that is the case under the rules.

 

However, I am interested in hearing more about the Franklin Simpson situation FSfan mentioned above. My guess is the key there is the officials' report of the ejection. If some of the game officials state in their report that the player should not have been ejected, then that is probably what opened the door for the KHSAA.

Some of you are missing the point. He is talking about unwarranted ejections. If you read the rule for targeting I don’t believe it is eject able in high school. But that’s what was applied. And I think that was mentioned to officials before this season. VOR is also saying there should be an ability to appeal quickly (which I agree) and get a fair response. Not just side with officials to save face. I don’t think any official wants to eject a player either but they are part time officials doing their best and I’m sure if they made a mistake they would want the player reinstated.... I also believe reinstatement could depend on where a player goes to school. JMO!!

 

It isn’t per se BUT “any act unduly rough or flagrant” is an ejectable offense if deemed as such.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.