Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Playoff Player Ejections

Featured Replies

I call baloney on this post. Let's talk about the facts in these instances and not get off on some high horse the world is falling apart stuff.

 

_____________________________________________

 

My big point here is if officials make a mistake, the players should have an opportunity to appeal and be reinstated the next game. I don't think that is the case under the rules.

 

However, I am interested in hearing more about the Franklin Simpson situation FSfan mentioned above. My guess is the key there is the officials' report of the ejection. If some of the game officials state in their report that the player should not have been ejected, then that is probably what opened the door for the KHSAA.

 

Seems the world is falling apart for the lack of an appeals process........

 

As others have stated the last thing an official wants to do is eject a player. It is pregamed to remember what’s at stake for both teams, the kids, the coaches. It is talked about before the game what the repercussions are for kids if they are ejected. One official doesn’t just eject a kid, it SHOULD be a crew decision. Final say being the white hat after getting input from the calling official and the others.

  • Replies 65
  • Views 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author
Seems the world is falling apart for the lack of an appeals process........

 

As others have stated the last thing an official wants to do is eject a player. It is pregamed to remember what’s at stake for both teams, the kids, the coaches. It is talked about before the game what the repercussions are for kids if they are ejected. One official doesn’t just eject a kid, it SHOULD be a crew decision. Final say being the white hat after getting input from the calling official and the others.

 

Would you eject a player for a big hit because helmets collided?

 

Would you eject a player from a game with no punches, no shoving, no post play contact other than yanking his leg away from another player who grabbed hold of it?

I personally watched the video of Mayfield/OC and it was a horrible call that ended a seniors career and played a big roll in that team losing the next game. The hit wasn’t with to the head and it was a block in which the player wasn’t defenseless but saw it coming. I’ve seen a lot more vicious hits on defenseless players

I am aware of several ejections that have been overturned in recent years. I don't know what the percentage of overturns there are, but I would say, in my experience, there are more overturned then not overturned.

 

One of the more recent ones I know of, Raceland played LCA, an LCA player was ejected for kicking a Raceland player while the Raceland player was wrapped up around his leg. We all knew the player did not "Kick" but rather jerked his leg to get it away for the Raceland player. LCA appealed it and Raceland wrote a letter attesting to the player never "kicking". It was overturned by the following Monday after the Friday game.

  • Author

Interesting Ram. It sounds very similar to what happened in the Beechwood Campbellsville game. That was great sportsmanship by Raceland to write that letter in support of the LCA player.

I hear you 85_Rebel, but what about players being ejected when they should not have been ejected? IMO, none of these players should have been ejected. Did the officials over react in a big game? Now the players pay an unfair price with no opportunity to appeal the one game suspension.

 

Bad calls happen even in big games - you have to accept that and move on. Life's not always fair is great lesson to learn at an early age.

Interesting Ram. It sounds very similar to what happened in the Beechwood Campbellsville game. That was great sportsmanship by Raceland to write that letter in support of the LCA player.

It was the right thing to do. I think Raceland even sent film proving the point. It was clear on film what happened. The ref just saw the players leg rebound after he jerked it and thought the rebound was a forward thrust.

I go to at least a dozen high school games every year and I bet I haven't seen a kid ejected in probably 10 years. If it happens something (however small) warranted it. Keep your head on and play the game right and I am 99.999% sure you will not get ejected. For the .001%, learn a tough life lesson and move on.

It would be interesting to know the number that has been overturned and which schools were involved.

  • Author
I go to at least a dozen high school games every year and I bet I haven't seen a kid ejected in probably 10 years. If it happens something (however small) warranted it. Keep your head on and play the game right and I am 99.999% sure you will not get ejected. For the .001%, learn a tough life lesson and move on.

 

And that is another reason I started the thread. I can't remember the last time I saw a player ejected from a game. And yet we have two ejections in the playoffs in the last two years in what appears unwarranted calls. It made me wonder if it is the refs who are over reacting more than the players. It seems odd to never see an ejection and then have two like this in back to back seasons.

And that is another reason I started the thread. I can't remember the last time I saw a player ejected from a game. And yet we have two ejections in the playoffs in the last two years in what appears unwarranted calls. It made me wonder if it is the refs who are over reacting more than the players. It seems odd to never see an ejection and then have two like this in back to back seasons.

My experience with the playoffs dictate that when referees from other reasons officiate a new region, the rules are applied differently. I don't know if the different regions normally do that, or if, being from a different region, they don't know the players and coaches and worry about allowing things to get out of hand. I don't know what region your officials were from, but my experience is the Lexington officials officiate much differently than any other regions, much differently, almost not the same sport sometimes.

I don't know what region your officials were from, but my experience is the Lexington officials officiate much differently than any other regions, much differently, almost not the same sport sometimes.

 

I’ve had conversations with several guys that have officiated in both Lexington and Louisville. They all agreed that the amount of training they received in Louisville FAR exceeded that in Lexington. The lack of training in Lexington is actually pretty incredible, IMO.

There has to be a procedure in place when a player is ejected and video evidence clearly shows that the ejection should not have been made. Referees do have the ability to check the ejection form and tell the KHSAA that they would like it reviewed. I believe this gives the KHSAA some freedom to right a wrong.

There is an appeal process and it is a valid appeal process. If requested the khsaa reviews all film available as well as interviews involved parties. I have seen several appeals successful. I think this thread is just about misinformation.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.