Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

George Rogers Clark 75 Augusta 53

Featured Replies

Why in the world does the 10th region use the 16th region refs. They call touch fouls and walk, walk and walk. I think they're horrible, not for one team or another but they just make bad calls. I don't know if it's just me (and I'm not a Mason Co fan) but it just doesn't seem like a regional tournament when played at Montgomery Co.

 

KHSAA assigns the refs for the regionals so the 10th didn't choose the 16th.

  • Replies 30
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KHSAA assigns the refs for the regionals so the 10th didn't choose the 16th.

 

I'm asking why do they do that. What's the logic.

I guess Montgomery and Campbell shouldn't show up since it looks like a good Mason and Clark final. Tonight was the first time this season I've seen GRC and wasn't that impressed. Maybe overlooking everybody until the finals.

Funny, the 10th Region folks don't like the 16th officials, and I was listening to the 9th Region broadcasts and they were lamenting the fact of how bad the 10th (Bluegrass) officials are.

 

I think they rotate them to avoid some of the familiarities that build up between officials and teams throughout the course of a season. When I was a girls coach back in the late 80's I had a very long 6'4" post player, she extended way above everyone. The local officials knew that she was simply big, and didn't push when rebounding over players from behind. Come tournament time and new officials and each rebound attempt was called "over the back" and she couldn't function. I also think traveling is called differently - the 9th guys don't let you head fake and drive - automatic traveling, and I think the Bluegrass officials are much better at calling charges. JMO

 

Overall I think it adds to the overall atmosphere of a regional tournament to have out-of-region refs. Where was the young lady from the 16th this year??? I remember her working with this crew in the past, and she was the best of the bunch.

Congratulations to Coach Hinson and his team on a very fine season, and good showing in the regional tournament.

 

I've always been a proponent of teams being reflections of their coaches. I think we saw it big time in the 9th Region tournament with Dixie Heights as opposed to Cooper. Most 10th Region fans remember Tim Sullivan (former head coach St. Pats, and assistant at Mason County). He and Jason Hinson are a lot alike and their teams respond favorably to that style of coaching.

 

Augusta will probably never recover from the heartbreak of just-missing to the Royals in the district tournament, but that near-loss gives these guys a place in history, that will be talked about forever.

 

The Panthers graduate 9 seniors but return one of the finest up-coming players in the region in Bach. If Jason can find a few guys to play around him, I see no reason why Augusta can't continue to succeed.

When Fatkin had to sit with his 3rd foul, I though Augusta would make a run at GRC. Just the opposite, GRC made a huge run on them. Very close game if you take out the 3rd quarter, which ended with a 20 point lead for GRC.

I guess Montgomery and Campbell shouldn't show up since it looks like a good Mason and Clark final. Tonight was the first time this season I've seen GRC and wasn't that impressed. Maybe overlooking everybody until the finals.

 

If you read who is making those posts it is not GRC fans. We know to take one game at a time. That was from a Mason co fan. They better be concerned about thier game with Montgomery Co on Monday.

 

3 quarters of basically even basketball but the 3rd quarter was CC 23-7. CC out rebounded Augusta 52-30. Clark was just too physical and the refs didn't call a hand check or over the back all night which obviously favored the more physical team. A terrific effort for such a small school. One other interesting stat 13 turnovers for Augusta 19 for Clark. Nice season for Coach Hinson in his first year at A-Town. Clark vs' Mason final should be a good one.

 

You have Montgomery Co on Monday. You Mason fans did this last year and got beat by Pendleton Co. Where you even at the game? Looks like you are trying to stir the pot.

 

When Fatkin had to sit with his 3rd foul, I though Augusta would make a run at GRC. Just the opposite, GRC made a huge run on them. Very close game if you take out the 3rd quarter, which ended with a 20 point lead for GRC.

 

Good play from our bench. This is what GRC does.Get behind, other teams play close, but grit it out and come up with the win in the end.

If you read who is making those posts it is not GRC fans. We know to take one game at a time. That was from a Mason co fan. They better be concerned about thier game with Montgomery Co on Monday.

 

 

 

You have Montgomery Co on Monday. You Mason fans did this last year and got beat by Pendleton Co. Where you even at the game? Looks like you are trying to stir the pot.

 

 

 

Good play from our bench. This is what GRC does.Get behind, other teams play close, but grit it out and come up with the win in the end.

 

You have it all wrong, I'm a basketball fan just making observations and yes, I was there. A little stirring of the pot never hurts though. I guess it could be a Montgomery vs' Campbell final..............:dancingpa

Congratulations to Coach Hinson and his team on a very fine season, and good showing in the regional tournament.

 

I've always been a proponent of teams being reflections of their coaches. I think we saw it big time in the 9th Region tournament with Dixie Heights as opposed to Cooper. Most 10th Region fans remember Tim Sullivan (former head coach St. Pats, and assistant at Mason County). He and Jason Hinson are a lot alike and their teams respond favorably to that style of coaching.

 

Augusta will probably never recover from the heartbreak of just-missing to the Royals in the district tournament, but that near-loss gives these guys a place in history, that will be talked about forever.

 

The Panthers graduate 9 seniors but return one of the finest up-coming players in the region in Bach. If Jason can find a few guys to play around him, I see no reason why Augusta can't continue to succeed.

 

First class Mustang for giving the Panthers props. I love small schools that beat the odds or at least make the big guys sweat. BB will be there in the mix the next several years with their returning group. They could be my pre-season #1 in the 10th

You have it all wrong, I'm a basketball fan just making observations and yes, I was there. A little stirring of the pot never hurts though. I guess it could be a Montgomery vs' Campbell final..............:dancingpa

 

That's the thing about high school basketball, you never know whats going to happen. It's who ever has the best game that night.

You have it all wrong, I'm a basketball fan just making observations and yes, I was there. A little stirring of the pot never hurts though. I guess it could be a Montgomery vs' Campbell final..............:dancingpa

 

 

It very well could be a Montgomery/Campbell Final. Any of the 4 are quite capable of going to Rupp.

^Agree with this 100%. None of the teams need to be looking further than thier next game. I think we are going to see some of the best basketball games of the year in the next two games.

It very well could be a Montgomery/Campbell Final. Any of the 4 are quite capable of going to Rupp.

 

Also agree 100%. Us GRC fans are taking one game at a time.

98743400-03194848.png Taylor Howard scored 19 points in George Rogers Clark's 75-53 win over Augusta in the opening round of the 10th Region Tournament Saturday night at the MCHS Arena in Mount Sterling. (Sun photo by Bill Thiry)

 

 

Clark defeats Augusta to reach semis

 

“We knew they could be a tough out and they played with a ton of emotion,” Clark coach Scott Humphrey said. “They always played fired up and when they play well early, they feed off it. You just have to stay patient and wait for your run to come when you go against teams playing on that high energy.”

Humphrey added that his team was “used to close games” and taking the other team’s best shot and liked the way the Cards responded.

“It wasn’t like we were completely out of the ordinary,” Humphrey said. “That team had a ton of respect (from us) coming in. This wasn’t a deal of overlooking (them).”

 

Clark closed out the first half with a 12-2 run and a 3-pointer at the buzzer by Bopper Stenzel gave Clark a 31-27 advantage at the break. Clark increased the margin to double figures in the third frame and used a 19-2 run to put the game away. Clark seniors Taylor Howard and Charlie Rogers combined for 12 points during the decisive spurt.

 

Howard tied teammate Adam Fatkin for team-high scoring honors with 19 points. Rogers scored 11 points in the second half and finished with 16 for the Cards. Fatkin completed a double-double with 11 rebounds despite missing most of the second quarter because of foul trouble

The Panthers (19-13) scored 11 of the first 15 points of the fourth quarter, but couldn’t get no closer than 13 down the stretch. Clark committed 21 turnovers, but scored 15 points on second-chance baskets and outrebounded the Panthers 50-29.

Brent Back led Augusta with 17 points and earned praised from Humphrey.

“He’s as good (of a guard) as we have seen,” the Clark coach said. “He is a really nice player.”

 

10th Region Tournament: Clark defeats Augusta to reach semis - centralkynews.com

Funny, the 10th Region folks don't like the 16th officials, and I was listening to the 9th Region broadcasts and they were lamenting the fact of how bad the 10th (Bluegrass) officials are.

 

I think they rotate them to avoid some of the familiarities that build up between officials and teams throughout the course of a season. When I was a girls coach back in the late 80's I had a very long 6'4" post player, she extended way above everyone. The local officials knew that she was simply big, and didn't push when rebounding over players from behind. Come tournament time and new officials and each rebound attempt was called "over the back" and she couldn't function. I also think traveling is called differently - the 9th guys don't let you head fake and drive - automatic traveling, and I think the Bluegrass officials are much better at calling charges. JMO

 

Overall I think it adds to the overall atmosphere of a regional tournament to have out-of-region refs. Where was the young lady from the 16th this year??? I remember her working with this crew in the past, and she was the best of the bunch.

 

She only officiates college games now.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.