Highlands 57 Dayton 53

Final

Birds led 39-29 at half and only managed 18 2nd half points. A win is a win I guess. Survive and advance is the only thing that matters. Great effort by the Dayton Srs they all are pretty solid. Birds are banged up, Witte played hurt entire game and Houliston DNP.

Lewis and Towles hit some big FT's at the end to seal it like good Srs should.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Towles was getting hacked all night but as the reigning Ky Mr Football unfortunately he's not going to get any calls in the opponent's gym. Dayton has a scrappy bunch of players.

Especially when one of the Refs is a 1989 Dayton grad. He called a decent game honestly until the end when They were hanging on Towles. Should refs scratch themselves from District games at their Alma Matre? I don't think it hurt the Birds but it just seemed a Little weird to me.

Drew warmed up and was chompin at the bit to play by halftime, you could see it. But he DNP.

Actually the subbing was decent tonight. Hinkel came in early and had a nice assist, spelled New a Little. True was in early giving Pat a rest but also played with him at the 4 when Witte had to go out for rest.

Hergott the soph came in during the First period and played outstanding scoring 7 pts. Hit a three, took a nice assist from Witte in transition and scored drawing a foul and also hit a couple FT's.

Drew should be ready for Wed and hopefully Witte can go atleast 80%. His offensive game was given a blow last night but he had a couple key defensive stops on Sparks late in the game as well as a huge rebound off a Dayton miss with 1 minute to go.

I would have liked to of pulled away in the 2nd half but that's a tribute to the Dayton kids who fought with everything They had to stymie the Birds offense. They zoned and really collapsed on Towles and They were really hanging on him. It's the First time all year PT went to the refs and pleaded for fairness but to no avail. They all were Louisville fans. LOL

The Birds will need to shutdown the Hoffman kid on Wed and get up early so They can rest some kids. But the kids from Bellevue are cut from the same mold as Dayton. They will fight til the end knowing their season as well as career for some is on the line.

Congrats to those Dayton Srs once again, They really played hard.

Especially when one of the Refs is a 1989 Dayton grad. He called a decent game honestly until the end when They were hanging on Towles. Should refs scratch themselves from District games at their Alma Matre? I don't think it hurt the Birds but it just seemed a Little weird to me.

This is a point that I think needs to be looked at across the board. Not that a person would call a good game or bad game but why open yourself up to this.

Ok I go back to my point in another forum Q that you ripped me for and that is Highlands is competitive at a small school class A level only this year in basketball. This is another point of proof that this team underachieves as much or more than any other team in this area.

I mentioned them in the underachieving thread. Dayton has a nice group of Srs who are quick and play well together so I expected them to show up at home. I also stated That but I can tell you overall the small schools can't compete because They lack the size and depth. Give this Dayton team a 6'5 kid and They would compete with some of the bigger schools.

The margin of victory IMO could have been larger last night if Highlands had Everyone at 100% health, They Gave Towles the FT line more when he got pounded and if There was a Little more energy in the 2nd half by the Birds. I predicted a 15 Pt win and That is What it likely should have been if the 3 things above That I mentioned would have happened.

The Birds need to get some outside scoring from Sr Sam Lewis. He can bury 3's but has been reluctant to shoot them lately because of a dry spell. Good shooters like Sam should keep shooting IMO as They will normally shoot their way out. They had 3 kids on the perimeter last night just tossing it around not even looking to step in a seam and put one in their eye. That allows the D to just collapse back and take away your bigs. Turner, Witte and Lewis can all bust the threes and should take them when open. It would open things up a Little more for Patrick.

I expect no issues with Bellevue as quite frankly Bellevue is not near the team Dayton is in my opinion. Always a lot of reasons for Highlands not performing well be it the exhaustive poor officiating, not healthy (nobody is 100% healthy thsi time of year....always somebody banged up), bad subbing patterns, bad free throw shooting, etc. etc etc. Bottom line is they are not capable for some reason of performing well over four quarters.

You say the margin of victory could have been more if.....if.......if....I guarantee you somebody from Dayton could provide three "if's" to show why Dayton was the better team last night and should have defeated the Bluebirds............Just curious.......If the Highlands football team had a first round playoff game against Dayton and only won by one touchdown what would the outcry be?

One thing you mentioned I have noticed in the few Highlands games I have seen is a reluctance to shoot at times from the outside.......is that a product of fear? poor coaching? looking over your shoulder to see if you are going to get pulled?