Derek Willis to UK?

letabrotherspeak

Really? Willis is a top 20 guy nationwide guy? I wasn't aware of that. I guess he would be a better prospect than Hicks. Hicks is sick. I have only seen Willis once in AAU last summer and didn't know I was watching him until the end of the game.

Ranked #33 Scout

Ranked #23 Rivals

Willis' stock is on the rise IMO so the time he finishes his high school career I can see him sticking as a 5*. Very skilled big man, and from all accounts a very hard worker. I've talked to a few people who have saw Bullit East play this year and they have been very impressed by Willis, and these are guys whose basketball opinions I respect. Willis was a guy I had a lot of doubt in and when he first decommitted from Purdue, I didn't really care where he went, didn't feel like he was the type of elite player Calipari has been bringing in since he got to Kentucky. Since then I have obviously changed my mind. Talked to some guys who have watched him over the past few years and they all say he has taken his game to the next level. If he can continue that type of progression and development guys going to be a solid college player no matter where he goes.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember watching Willis play AAU ball in the 5th grade for the Louisville Rising Stars. He was strictly a Big back then. Its nice to see he has developed guard skills. He can do it all man. Bullitt played Highlands in the AIT last year and he Shot threes, led the break, rebounded Well offensively and there down a nasty dunk off a tough pass in transition. If he can put on 15 to 20 lbs he can be a very scary 4 in College.

He is announcing Friday and all indications are that he will be choosing UK. This kid is for real, been watching him since he was a middle schooler and he played against my sons teams in some tournaments we were in. He can do many things on the court and will fit great into Cal's system. I would be shocked if he did not pick the Cats!

He is announcing Friday and all indications are that he will be choosing UK. This kid is for real, been watching him since he was a middle schooler and he played against my sons teams in some tournaments we were in. He can do many things on the court and will fit great into Cal's system. I would be shocked if he did not pick the Cats!

Nice to hear. Would be nice to see another in state kid at UK and especially if he is for real.

I spoke with one coach who I really respect, and he thinks that Willis is taller version of John Hood.

May not be one of those elite type players but will fill out the roster and be a 3-4 year player.

I would agree with the overall sentiment. Once he gets some muscle on him after getting "Rocked" he can do some things in the post. I wouldn't expect much out of him before his 2nd or 3rd season in Lexington.

I would agree with the overall sentiment. Once he gets some muscle on him after getting "Rocked" he can do some things in the post. I wouldn't expect much out of him before his 2nd or 3rd season in Lexington.

Is he mostly a face-to-the-basket guy now? What kind of outside shot? In any way comparable to Wiltjer?

Is he mostly a face-to-the-basket guy now? What kind of outside shot? In any way comparable to Wiltjer?

I'd say today his comfort zone would be on the perimeter simply because he's too skinny. Nice outside shot. Nice ball skills overall.

Wiltjer is better in the lane. Much better footwork and offhand.