Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

UC Announces Suspensions

Featured Replies

Of course they are. Today's media loves to hype the story and they need to have an edge in their take to make headlines.

 

Not sure the media has to "hype" anything here. It was a fairly major sports story. If it's still one a month from now, it would be excessive hype. Right now it deserves to be thoroughly covered.

  • Replies 86
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where were the officals in all this. Not the brawl itself, but why were they not controling the game before it got to that point. With all the yapping that was going on well before the brawl, why were players not "T" up and benches warned. I hope that the officals of this game are servering some sort of punishment as well for letting this happen. It is not as if this was a thing that just happend, the whole game was chippy from the Tip. I know they were atlantic sun officals (get ready NKU) and that the conferences have agreements with other conferences to swap officals for non conference games. (Ex. Atlantic sun officals do A-10 home games, A-10 officals do atlantic sun home games.) Why on earth would you have Atlantic Sun officals doing a game like this anyways. When you have SEC and Big 10 officals in mass within 100 miles of the area. This game was allowed to get out of hand by thouse that are paid to control it.

Where were the officals in all this. Not the brawl itself, but why were they not controling the game before it got to that point. With all the yapping that was going on well before the brawl, why were players not "T" up and benches warned. I hope that the officals of this game are servering some sort of punishment as well for letting this happen. It is not as if this was a thing that just happend, the whole game was chippy from the Tip. I know they were atlantic sun officals (get ready NKU) and that the conferences have agreements with other conferences to swap officals for non conference games. (Ex. Atlantic sun officals do A-10 home games, A-10 officals do atlantic sun home games.) Why on earth would you have Atlantic Sun officals doing a game like this anyways. When you have SEC and Big 10 officals in mass within 100 miles of the area. This game was allowed to get out of hand by thouse that are paid to control it.

 

I was at the game so I didn't see it on TV even though I recorded it. I can't recall any time in the 2nd half when there was any yapping going on until the last 10 seconds. What did I miss?

I was at the game so I didn't see it on TV even though I recorded it. I can't recall any time in the 2nd half when there was any yapping going on until the last 10 seconds. What did I miss?

 

A lot more yapping than just last ten seconds, which if you are at the game your not going to notice some of the things you do on tv, where the camera's stay focused on the players.

There was yapping before the game was even played. This was a college game, college officals do their own (or are supossed too) scouting of both teams, past games and the like to get a feel for what the tempo and enviorment/style of play is going to be so that they are on top of things. This crew obviously did not and hence the game escalated into what it did.

The only guys that should be suspended are guys that threw punches and the kid that tried to curb stomp. Actually that kid and Gates should probably be charged with assault.

I posted this in the Xavier suspension thread and will post it here also. In watching the clip again, I saw that one of the first people Frease pushed as he moved into the brawl was Gates and Gates then responded with the punch. Check out the clip again and watch closely. After seeing that, I would be interested if it changes how people see Gates in this incident. If you get pushed by someone in the middle of a brawl and that person continues pushing into your friends, how would you respond? I point this out not to say Gates is innocent. He should not have thrown the punch. But I do think this mitigates his actions in the hitting of Frease. Gates deserves a 10 game suspension IMO but no way it should end his career. Let me also say that I am not a UC fan.

I posted this in the Xavier suspension thread and will post it here also. In watching the clip again, I saw that one of the first people Frease pushed as he moved into the brawl was Gates and Gates then responded with the punch. Check out the clip again and watch closely. After seeing that, I would be interested if it changes how people see Gates in this incident. If you get pushed by someone in the middle of a brawl and that person continues pushing into your friends, how would you respond? I point this out not to say Gates is innocent. He should not have thrown the punch. But I do think this mitigates his actions in the hitting of Frease. Gates deserves a 10 game suspension IMO but no way it should end his career. Let me also say that I am not a UC fan.

 

And just like I said in the Xavier suspension thread, no it doesn't change my perception of Gates actions. Frease clearly was not trying to strike anyone when he came into the melee with his arms extended. Sure, he made contact with Gates. If Gates felt threatened then he should have defended himself or his teammates right then. Instead, he moved out of Frease way and only came in and threw the punch when Frease was focused on someone else. That is a sucker punch no matter whether Gates was touched by Frease before. He came in from the side and threw a punch to Frease temple area and then immediately backed up. Frease had his arms extended trying to hold others back. Take a poll and see how many people agree with you.

And just like I said in the Xavier suspension thread, no it doesn't change my perception of Gates actions. Frease clearly was not trying to strike anyone when he came into the melee with his arms extended. Sure, he made contact with Gates. If Gates felt threatened then he should have defended himself or his teammates right then. Instead, he moved out of Frease way and only came in and threw the punch when Frease was focused on someone else. That is a sucker punch no matter whether Gates was touched by Frease before. He came in from the side and threw a punch to Frease temple area and then immediately backed up. Frease had his arms extended trying to hold others back. Take a poll and see how many people agree with you.

 

I agree with you. VOR is probably alone in that belief.

^ I didn't have this opinion either till I kept watching the video. Watching the video closely changed my opinion.

^ I didn't have this opinion either till I kept watching the video. Watching the video closely changed my opinion.

 

I've watched it probably 20 times. It was a sucker punch.

The only guys that should be suspended are guys that threw punches and the kid that tried to curb stomp. Actually that kid and Gates should probably be charged with assault.

 

The penalty in Ohio for simple assault (defined as intentionally causing or trying to cause physical harm to another person) is up to 6 months in jail and up to a $1000 fine. This is only the criminal penalty, other penalties might be imposed by a civil court. 6 Games in lieu of 6 months is a bargain these kids should be made to understand that.

 

Joe Deters the county prosecutor is looking into charges.. I do not think he will but who knows at this point.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.