Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Kentucky 75 Kansas 65

Featured Replies

Cal's teams the last couple years have started a little slow due to the Frosh learning what he is teaching. Remember Wall having to hit last second shots early in the season to win and last year they lost some early games and didn't come on until February. I expected this team to start a little slow as well but I think they will catch on quicker than the others and will go on a roll. By March, they will be very hard to beat, IMO.

  • Replies 51
  • Views 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This UK team is very talented. They have to take better care of the ball and shoot better from the three point line. I will predict that they will break the team record for blocked shots in a season. Nice, if somewhat sloppy win.

 

Shoot better from the three point line? Really? They were 7-15 or 46%, how much better do you want?

 

My head is still ringing from listening to Vitale go on and on about the 3 goggles. Did anyone else find that to be annoying?

Many of you guys have already touched on the main points I took from the game last night.

 

I will chalk the turnovers up to the young team, many of which were trying to do to much and were too exciting. I said three things over and over last night:

 

"They need to just slow/calm down".

 

"Get the ball to MKG and he needs to drive hard to the hoop instead of them settling for jumpshots".

 

"Get Miller in the game to calm down these freshmen".

 

A good win for the Cats. Playing in that environment against a solid opponent. Let's build and go from there. I'm tired as hell at work today, might be the KY Bourbon Barrels I was downing too though. Can't wait for a nap!

Very sloppy first half obviously, but some things I took away from the game....

 

 

1.) This Kentucky team is so talented that it can make up for the gap in play the first two Calipari teams had to deal with as far as starting the season out slow and getting things clicking. Most years this would have been a tough game to win, second game of the season, at MSG, primetime game, big time opponent who drummed Kentucky last time they played, I mean it had all the makings for a young team to lose but they responded and got the win because of all the talent. Basically I guess I am trying to say that because of the talent the growing pains will not be as much with this years squad.

 

2.) Can kids not get hyped anymore when they play? Or is it just bad when Kentucky does it? Killed me to hear Vitale say a million times oh don't do that just get back and play D, blah, blah, blah. Personally I love the swag, this team may have even more swag than the Wall team. With a 50 point win and a big win over Kansas they may have the play to be able to back it up.

 

3.) Even though Kansas is not what they normally are this was still a very experienced team. Taylor's been a four year starter, Elijah Johnson was a 5* recruit coming out and he has seen a lot of minutes in his career. Robinson is one of the best forwards in the nation. Kansas was fairly talented and fairly experienced, good to see Kentucky handle that.

 

4.) This team has to start the game by getting things inside and not by jacking up perimeter looks. Just like the Transy exhibition Kentucky comes out trying to be a bunch of superstars instead of being a team and the offense suffered because of which. When this team gets going on offense though and starts working with each other they are deadly. They need to learn the most effective way to channel all of that intensity to start games into runs like the one at the start of the Morehouse game or like the run to start the second half last night. Running down the floor and jacking up bad looks isn't it, but getting up and down the floor, taking it to the basket, and getting teammates involved is it.

 

5.) Terrence Jones is the ultimate pun. And yes I said pun not punk, not a type o. He is the most intense stoic person I have ever seen. It just cracks me up to see him throw down a big dunk, he always has the goofiest looks on his face. It's like he's so jacked but then again he's so stoic and mild. Cracks me up everytime.

 

6.) Cal's concerns about the toughnes of Wiltjer showed through last night as he spent most of the game on the bench. IMO he didn't trust him in the game at big points going up against the likes of Robinson and Withey. This should not be an issue later on in the year as Kyle Wiltjer will be a big time contributor.

 

7.) ELOY! Vargas played big minutes last night and didn't look too bad. May not be another Jorts but he has improved dramatically from last season. Kentucky needs Vargas this year to relieve the post, if he can at least work like he did last night they should be okay with him in. Really says something when Cal opts to use Vargas instead of Wiltjer in those situations last night. Eloy must really be earning it in practice. Played with a lot of toughness last night and I was glad to see it considering how bad he looked at times last year.

 

8.) Well for number 8 I'll just say this is going to be one of the most exciting UK basketball seasons in some time, this could be the year to hang #8.

I love the talent, but not liking some of the intangibles thus far. Still early and maybe a lot of that can be eliminated. Jones is back to letting his game go to his head, starring down every player for no reason. He is who these Freshman are looking up to, and I do not like the example he is setting thus far. He should recall that once he was relegated to second fiddle last season UK went on their run.

 

I do worry about Miller's psyche and agree that he needs more minutes.

I guess I should be glad I was at a bar and couldn't really hear the game if Vitale was really that annoying.

7.) ELOY! Vargas played big minutes last night and didn't look too bad. May not be another Jorts but he has improved dramatically from last season. Kentucky needs Vargas this year to relieve the post, if he can at least work like he did last night they should be okay with him in. Really says something when Cal opts to use Vargas instead of Wiltjer in those situations last night. Eloy must really be earning it in practice. Played with a lot of toughness last night and I was glad to see it considering how bad he looked at times last year.

 

I agree with Vargas. If he can contribute with a few boards here and there and be under control, that will be a huge help. I like pulling for the kid.
Shoot better from the three point line? Really? They were 7-15 or 46%, how much better do you want?

 

My head is still ringing from listening to Vitale go on and on about the 3 goggles. Did anyone else find that to be annoying?

 

Me....

 

If I yelled at the TV for Vitale to shut his mouth once, I yelled it 30 times.....:madman:

 

Whatever

Spud Webb could jump. Anthony Davis is 6'10" plus with a 7'5" wingspan and a great feel for how to use it. Not really the same thing...

 

Right on!! :laugh:

I guess I should be glad I was at a bar and couldn't really hear the game if Vitale was really that annoying.

 

Ditto, I saw a few on twitter complaining so I knew he must have been going on about it.

Ditto, I saw a few on twitter complaining so I knew he must have been going on about it.

 

It was non stop. There was at least six or seven occasions in which he said something to the effect of "oh thats too much, you don't have to show up the other guy just play baby just play."

 

Sad thing was it got to the point that somebody hit a three and threw up some 3 goggles and he starts ripping about that. After Jones showed some emotion after hitting the three he said something like "no need for that just get back on defense."

 

 

I mean the way he harped on it really rubbed me the wrong way. Had Kentucky's guys been acting thugish and unsportsmanlike I could see the fuss but they did not cross any lines last night. I personally like seeing all the swag and intensity.

Agree with some others. I think they were a little too wound up to start the game, which is understandable for a bunch of young kids playing their first big opponent at The Garden.

 

Their length and athleticism is going to be a nightmare to go against. This team has the potential to be absolutely suffocating on the defensive end.

 

Got a lot of work to do to get ready for Carolina in December.

Talk about some balance scoring for the Cats...

 

Jones - 15

Davis - 14

Kidd-Gilchrist - 12

Lamb - 17

Teague - 12

 

Guess I was right about predicting that Lamb would be high scorer. I love this team!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.