57 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Owen County
    • Covington Holy Cross

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An aspect of the Holy Cross offense that has quietly evolved over the last few weeks is the running game. When many think "spread offense", the assumption is that it is mostly through the air. However, if you look at the HC offense (number of plays and yards), they are very balanced. Over two-thirds of the year, the rushing attack has been mostly Kyle Fuller left, right, and up the middle. The evolution, so to speak, is that over the last few games, Jalen Beal and Burt Pouncy have been brought more heavily into the game plan. Beal had 2 TDs last Friday and Pouncy had 120 yards and a TD. They are at least 4 players (including Kohake and Walker) that can get to either edge very quickly on that reverse play that they run. I would hate to be the OC defensive coordinator looking at film this week. There just too many looks, formations, and plays out of them that HC will show you. Since the loss to NCC, HC has played "angry" (if you know what I mean) - especially, on the defensive side of the ball. Now that it is playoff time, Koz is not tolerating ANY mistakes like missed blocks, tackles, extra points, or other assignments even if the score of the game is out of reach. Against Carroll County, he was not happy with certain aspects of the game. I'm not one to name a score, but I am looking forward to a big HC win Friday night if they, as quoted, "take care of business".

Owen County's PA Announcer openly roots for the Rebels over the microphone.

Being that he is a OC Rebels football alumni, it is probably difficult not to be a little biased.

While I absolutely DESPISE bias from the press box, I guess in fairness he hasn't had much to cheer about for some time.

I dont think HC will have to much trouble scoring on this def. The lineman are big but not the fastest and I bekieve that it wont be tough for the HC recievers to get behind OC's corners. Once the field is spread it will be all over with the speed of HC's running backs.

Dont hate HC. Im pulling for Lloyd this week, along with you. Lets see a HC/Lloyd matchup. What do you say?

I would like to see Owen win this one but thats not going to happen..Their easy schedule all year is going to catch up with them this week..HC will win by 21! But like I said I hope I am wrong. Good luck to both..

I dont think HC will have to much trouble scoring on this def. The lineman are big but not the fastest and I bekieve that it wont be tough for the HC recievers to get behind OC's corners. Once the field is spread it will be all over with the speed of HC's running backs.

I don't think Owen will have that much trouble scoring on the HC defense either.

I don't think Owen will have that much trouble scoring on the HC defense either.

I believe you may be wrong on that one. OC has the big te but the speed tgat will be on him will negate that. The way their qb floats his passes I see a few picks for HC's speedy dbacks. Their o line is big but HC's line speed will get around them, and their linebackers are very aggresive to boot. I ddidnt notice to much speed from OC's running back so I dont look for any break aways from them. We will see. Thats why we enjoy the game, we can say what we think will happen but it still needs to happen.

What are you basing that on?

From what I saw, their offensive line is good at blocking and their receivers are very good at catching the ball. There wasn't only one person to throw to either, there were four of them, including the big tight end catching the ball well, even with being pretty well defended. The time that I saw them play, they didn't run but a few times. From what I heard, someone also said that they run a double TE formation with a pretty physical runningback that was successful from what he saw. If that was the case in regards to that formation, I wouldn't be surprised to see it in this game some.

I'm also basing it on an 11-0 season. With that kind of record, it's not only the offense. I am completely aware that they are in a weaker district, but the way they have handled their last five or six games on both sides of the ball doesn't indicate that they are going to get blown out.

I believe you may be wrong on that one. OC has the big te but the speed tgat will be on him will negate that. The way their qb floats his passes I see a few picks for HC's speedy dbacks. Their o line is big but HC's line speed will get around them, and their linebackers are very aggresive to boot. I ddidnt notice to much speed from OC's running back so I dont look for any break aways from them. We will see. Thats why we enjoy the game, we can say what we think will happen but it still needs to happen.

I can agree with you about the quarterback and don't think he will be able to do that against the HC defense. He did that at least a few times when I saw them play before.

I was planning on going Friday, but after reading this thread why should I bother. Has every one From HC already purchased their tickets for the NCC game. Is it possible that the city boys and their fans from HC are over looking the country boys from Owen Co.