Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Coach Bob Schneider - Silenced His Critics

Featured Replies

As a long-time supporter of Coach Schneider I felt compelled to post this message to all of you in BGP land who have called for his resignation (in some cases his head) over the past few years.

 

Ever since I have been associated with this site, there have been numerous anti-Bob postings questioning everything from his coaching ability to his inability to relate to today's players.

 

When NewCath lost 4 straight to Beechwood (over the past two years), many of you were ready to throw Bob under the bus saying that he and the coaching staff didn't prepare as well as Beechwood' staff, and that they panicked in crucial game situations.

 

Allright...that is fair game. Afterall BGP is about debate and opinion. However, if you are going to hammer a coach and his staff for poor play calling, coaching, will he ever win another title??, etc....where are the props when this same staff run the table the way they did in the post season????

 

I can tell you from first hand experience how much respect these players (especially seniors) have for Coach Schneider and how much he and this coaching staff meant to them in their run for a state championship.

 

I was talking with Coach Lynn Ray yesterday who marveled at how dramatically this team improved from their debacle against CovCath. He said that kind of improvement comes from leadership and dedication from the coaches and the seniors (Given he has 5 titles of his own I believe he knows what he is talking about).

 

The intangibles are as important, if not more so than the X's and O's during a state championship run. No one can questions Coach Schneider's integrity, his character, and his commitment to the student athlete. He embodies everything that is right about coaching high school football.

 

So I ask those who have called for his resignation, and or believe he should step down now that he got the monkey off his back..."Where is the praise and congratulation's for a man that has spent 40 years of his life teaching young men character and life lessons that will serve them well beyond their high school football career"?

 

If you are going to tear a man down, it is only fair that you build him back up again....I believe Coach Schneider has earned that respect, and more importantly deserves it.

  • Replies 65
  • Views 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the talent that has walked the halls of NCC, Coach Schneider should have a plethora of championships. I congratulate the team on a great season. I am willing to bet that any coach in Northern Kentucky could have won the championship with the talent NCC had this year. I really do not think he has silenced any critics.

I stated my opinions on coaching in general before. High school coaches of course have different abilities but more games are won and lost by the players and not the coaches. High school coaches are dedicated individuals and the won/loss record is not their sole concern nor should it be. I really do not think there should be Coach of the Year Awards.

 

As for Coach Schneider I often wondered how critics explained three state title games in the 80s, followed by numerous defeats to Beechwood in the 90s, followed by victories over Beechwood and state title games in the early 2000s (I believe the only coach to have a team beat a Yeagle-coached team 3 times consecutively), to losses in the mid-2000s. So I guess they figured good coaching followed by bad coaching and then a sudden burst of good coaching followed by not quite so good coaching??? Of course all from the same person.

 

In reality here's the secret.

First, you have to have good players and a volume of players. When NCC was in title games in the 80s they had a few D 1 players and a nice sized roster, when they had trouble staying on the field with Beechwood and two consecutive losing seasons in the late 90s the roster size was down (did not even have enough for a Frosh team a few of those years I recall). Then in early 2000s they had some nice skill players, some size, and the roster got bigger. Now 2005 they have skill players, size, and roster volume. Not many Class A schools have 58 Sophs/Jrs/Srs with 34 more on the Frosh team. Compare that to the late 90s.

Second, you must have assistant coaches that can teach, have been with the program awhile, and specialize. The head coach cannot do everything. Since 2000 Coach Schneider has turned over the play calling to his O-Cord (his son) and the defense calls to his D-Cord (a former player) and they both have been there awhile and likely will be there awhile. That could not occur before because most of the assistants were going on to other coaching jobs frequently. Add in other quality coaches like Frosh coach Bill Morgan and it makes the Head Coaches job a lot less stressful.

Third, is the quality of opposing teams in your class. It is not like Beechwood is a flash in the pan and was going on to be routed later in the playoffs. There are some very good programs year in and out in Class A like Beechwood, Danville, Mayfield and beating them all in a year is a tough task.

All Play and no Work,

I agree that the majority of the time games are won by the players on the field; however, coaching makes a big difference when your team is in a tough game ( adjustments, preparation etc...). Too many times tight games have been lost when many think they should have won. Is this the head coach's responsibility, YES!!!

There are three coaches on the staff that have been there for several years...Schneider,Kneflin and Morgan. Many programs go through growing pains with change of assistant coaches and adapt well. I don't buy losing assistant coaches as a good excuse. Look at the current staff, I feel past assistants have been replaced by quailified individuals. My fear is that the next head coach may not be the most quailified!!!

All Play and no Work,

I agree that the majority of the time games are won by the players on the field; however, coaching makes a big difference when your team is in a tough game ( adjustments, preparation etc...). Too many times tight games have been lost when many think they should have won. Is this the head coach's responsibility, YES!!!

There are three coaches on the staff that have been there for several years...Schneider,Kneflin and Morgan. Many programs go through growing pains with change of assistant coaches and adapt well. I don't buy losing assistant coaches as a good excuse. Look at the current staff, I feel past assistants have been replaced by quailified individuals. My fear is that the next head coach may not be the most quailified!!!

 

That is kind of my point. With good players and good assistants the Head coach of any team has success. With not so many good players and new assistants it is harder for the Head Coach of any team to have success. And the things you mentioned (adjustments, preparation) largely involve assistant coaches and even players.

The next head coach will probably not be the MOST qualified because the most qualified candidates can easily make a lot more money anywhere else.

I'm not going to change my tune since he won a championship this year. I congratulate

him and the Breds but unfortunately all it appears to have done is make the old boy want to stick around a few more years and IMO that will hurt NCC more then help in the long run. I don't think he is a bad man or that he was a bad coach but he should have stepped down a few years ago and now that he has the championship I can think of no better time for him to step down. Unfortunately like alot of others instead of going out on top he will overstay his welcome and his critics will be back sooner then his supporters will like.

All Play and no Work,

I agree that the majority of the time games are won by the players on the field; however, coaching makes a big difference when your team is in a tough game ( adjustments, preparation etc...). Too many times tight games have been lost when many think they should have won. Is this the head coach's responsibility, YES!!!

There are three coaches on the staff that have been there for several years...Schneider,Kneflin and Morgan. Many programs go through growing pains with change of assistant coaches and adapt well. I don't buy losing assistant coaches as a good excuse. Look at the current staff, I feel past assistants have been replaced by quailified individuals. My fear is that the next head coach may not be the most quailified!!!

 

The problem with Kneflin was that, at least when I played, he wasn't at every practice and missed a lot of the double sessions. He's a great coach, don't get me wrong, but you have to be there. Coach Morgan is coaching Freshman. I believe that Dave Schneider, Dan Wagner, or Keith Faust would make excellent choices whenever Mr. Schneider decides to step down. The only problem being that none of them teach at the school. If that isn't a criteria, then I'd say choose from them. Since Coach Wagner has taken over the defense, they have consistently been one of the best in the area. Dave Schneider works as hard to prepare as any assistant around. What more can you want from a head coach than someone with a great grasp of team strengths and an incredible willingness to learn by going to camps??? Same can be said with Keith. He drills with the QB's whenever they need him. He's made a major impact on the improved QB play over the last few years. If they choose from those coaches and with more and more athletes going to the school, they can't really go wrong. They definitely don't run Texas outside ice right anymore.

Did Coach Schneider silence the critics when he lost to a clearly less talented Beechwood team? :D

  • Author

That was then...this is now.

 

It was clearly a mental block for NCC players and coaches. No question.

 

That said...now that Yeagle is gone, and NCC got the moneky off their back by winning a Class "A" state championship...the worm has turned and I predict a strong, long NCC run over Beechwood.

That was then...this is now.

 

It was clearly a mental block for NCC players and coaches. No question.

 

That said...now that Yeagle is gone, and NCC got the moneky off their back by winning a Class "A" state championship...the worm has turned and I predict a strong, long NCC run over Beechwood.

 

 

Congrats to NCC on their title run. I disagree with you though on the worm has changed. Beechwood isn't going anywhere. Just because the Best Coach in Nky history has left Beechwood doesn't mean the program will go down. I'm sure Beechwood will get the right coach for the program. I think Beechwood might be more dangerous next year with Yeagle being gone.

No way there will be a long NCC run over Beechwood. The program is so established that even the loss of Yeagle will not result in that happening. I see the 2 schools taking turns beating up on each other in the future.

That was then...this is now.

 

It was clearly a mental block for NCC players and coaches. No question.

 

That said...now that Yeagle is gone, and NCC got the moneky off their back by winning a Class "A" state championship...the worm has turned and I predict a strong, long NCC run over Beechwood.

 

 

How can you say that when Beechwood has beaten them the last 6 out of 7 times they have played? Yeagle might be gone but the program isn't going anywhere.

I think Beechwood will clearly take a step back and not just because Yeagle is stepping down. The talent pipeline at Beechwood clearly isn't what it has been.

 

Schneider may turn the corner and start beating Beechwood.

I think Beechwood will clearly take a step back and not just because Yeagle is stepping down. The talent pipeline at Beechwood clearly isn't what it has been.

 

Schneider may turn the corner and start beating Beechwood.

 

 

You may be right but I have been told Beechwood has had 2 very good freshmen teams the last 2 years.

You may be right but I have been told Beechwood has had 2 very good freshmen teams the last 2 years.

 

True, but NCC has won the Frosh A/AA championship the last 3 years.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.