Bad night for everyone at Colerain (OH)

oldjarhead

Colerain junior running back Chris Davis is out for the season, Cardinals coach Tom Bolden told The Enquirer tonight.

An MRI revealed that Davis has suffered a massive knee injury, tearing all three major ligaments and dislocating his kneecap, Bolden said. Davis suffered the injury in last week’s win against Ryle.

Bolden called Davis’ injury “Willis McGahee-like.” McGahee, the former Miami Hurricanes star RB, blew out all three major knee ligaments in a violent collision during the 2002 national championship game vs. Ohio State.

The doctors “said you see this type of injury more in car accidents than you do in football,” Bolden said. “Chris is handling it much better than I am.”

Davis is expected to have surgery within the next two weeks and should be ready for the start of the 2012 season, Bolden said.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Colerain junior running back Chris Davis is out for the season, Cardinals coach Tom Bolden told The Enquirer tonight.

An MRI revealed that Davis has suffered a massive knee injury, tearing all three major ligaments and dislocating his kneecap, Bolden said. Davis suffered the injury in last week’s win against Ryle.

Bolden called Davis’ injury “Willis McGahee-like.” McGahee, the former Miami Hurricanes star RB, blew out all three major knee ligaments in a violent collision during the 2002 national championship game vs. Ohio State.

The doctors “said you see this type of injury more in car accidents than you do in football,” Bolden said. “Chris is handling it much better than I am.”

Davis is expected to have surgery within the next two weeks and should be ready for the start of the 2012 season, Bolden said.

Did they say what ligaments? Feel bad for the kid but luckily he's got close to a year to fully recover and hopefully get back to 100%

What size would you all say Davis is; CF? If he's not a big guy this will be a perfect opportunity for him to put on some size. He can really hit the weights hard for the next 9-10 months.

It would have to the MCL, ACL, and LCL.

Ok, that's not what I was thinking; my junior year playing a pick up game of ball, came down for a rebound landed on my right foot, as I was landing kid running toworads me's knee hit mine from the side. It started out as a bruise, then a possible ACL tear, but by the time it was all said in done I had torn ACL, LCL, MCL, and both my medial and lateral meniscus. Basically my PCL was all that was left.

If it is indeed those three he's kind of lucky, both meniscus would likely require being operated on and obviously the ACL will but the MCL and LCL should heal on their own.

Either way I wish him a speedy recovery and hope he can make the most of it, being a RB at Colerain we all know he's got the wheels so maybe now he can grow and improve in other area's.

Ok, that's not what I was thinking; my junior year playing a pick up game of ball, came down for a rebound landed on my right foot, as I was landing kid running toworads me's knee hit mine from the side. It started out as a bruise, then a possible ACL tear, but by the time it was all said in done I had torn ACL, LCL, MCL, and both my medial and lateral meniscus. Basically my PCL was all that was left.

If it is indeed those three he's kind of lucky, both meniscus would likely require being operated on and obviously the ACL will but the MCL and LCL should heal on their own.

I was just saying that because it was report "the three major ligiments of the knee", those are commonly refered to as the three major ligiments of the knee. The PCL is normally not thought of that way.

I was just saying that because it was report "the three major ligiments of the knee", those are commonly refered to as the three major ligiments of the knee. The PCL is normally not thought of that way.

Yea both meniscus are just a pain because they can't really repair them so to speak, you tear those more than once and you're pretty much guaranteed knee pain the rest of your life. I hope he bounces back. He should be good to go by the time they start up their spring practices.

So the Ryle and Colerain game resulted in two great running backs having serious knee injuries. That is always sad to hear about, I hope for a speedy recovery for both. Hopefully since the Colerain kid is only a junior, that he can come back fully healed and have a great senior year.

Either way I wish him a speedy recovery and hope he can make the most of it, being a RB at Colerain we all know he's got the wheels so maybe now he can grow and improve in other area's.

Really?

Really?

Ummm ya???? If you read any thing I said afterward or know anything about knee injuries, which I doubt you do, he'd be lucky for it to be the MCL and LCL. If it is his meniscus on either side he has a much higher risk of reinjury as well. But hey I don't know what I'm talking about aparently based on your reaction,.... except that I do.

I hate to hear this about Davis, he is a great running back and a 3 year starter. His injury was alot like Elliott's, not alot of contact when it happened. I would suggest to the Colerain faithful that it is time to invest in some new turf, not saying that is what caused the injuries but their field was one of the worst turf fields I have been on. It is the older turf and had several waves and dips in it and not near as stable as some of the newer fields out there. Once again I wish Chris a speedy recovery and my thoughts and prayers are with him and the Colerain family.

Yea both meniscus are just a pain because they can't really repair them so to speak, you tear those more than once and you're pretty much guaranteed knee pain the rest of your life. I hope he bounces back. He should be good to go by the time they start up their spring practices.

I understand, I tore my medial meniscus in high school, and had it repaired. But, without the meniscus you have bone moving on bone and that will lead to an early knee replacement.

Speaking as a doctor and as a former football player who had an injury with almost the exact problem, I think I may be able to clear up some of the issues. While tearing the meniscus (cartilage) in the kneee is painful and can lead to early knee degeneration is not as severe as ligamentous tearing. IF there was a complete tear (grade 3) of all 3 ligaments, he is looking at a cadaver transplant or use of his own tendons to repair the ligament. Either way, there is now a weaker and more suspect joint and IF he were to have another knee injury he will have a far worse recovery and will have much more issues later in life. I feel for this young man and hope that today's technology will allow a full recovery and he gets to decide his football future and not one of us "white coats".

I hate to hear this about Davis, he is a great running back and a 3 year starter. His injury was alot like Elliott's, not alot of contact when it happened. I would suggest to the Colerain faithful that it is time to invest in some new turf, not saying that is what caused the injuries but their field was one of the worst turf fields I have been on. It is the older turf and had several waves and dips in it and not near as stable as some of the newer fields out there. Once again I wish Chris a speedy recovery and my thoughts and prayers are with him and the Colerain family.

The turf did not cause the issue. It was just "one of those things."

That being said, the turf was installed before the 2004 season. Clearly, it is beginning to show it's age and discussions are already in place to replace it. The expectation was that it was a 10-yr life and that would be through the 2013 season. I would suspect that the summer of 2014 will see new turf being installed at Cardinal Stadium.

Unfortunately, it was a monumental effort to get the money to do it the first time. Thankfully, this won't be nearly as expensive since the infrastructure is already in place. However, please understand that all monies that are used for that turf and all the surrounding athletic facilities are booster raised donations from individuals and local companies. Given the economy over the past 3 years and for the forseeable future, I struggle to see how Colerain is going to raise the funds necessary to replace the turf. Hopefully they've been putting money aside for 10 years to make it happen.

-CardinalsFan