Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Covington Catholic 51 Ryle 28 (Scrimmage)

Featured Replies

I'm not looking at it like it was a W/L decision. I'm looking at from level of play. Sounds pretty darn even to me.

 

It was a close and exciting game. Both teams had their moments of good, bad and ugly but that is to be excepted in an opening scrimmage!

 

IMHO CovCath has much more depth than Ryle and the problems CovCath had can be (again IMHO) fixed much quicker and easier.

  • Replies 51
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there is any way Ryle is about the same as last year. However, if I were a CCH fan I would be optimistic about the result.

Obviously you have attended Ryle practices, workouts, and the scrimmage to see where Ryle's potential lies as a football team this season. I am just curious to know your experience with Ryle's program so we can accurately assess your judgement.

Obviously you have attended Ryle practices, workouts, and the scrimmage to see where Ryle's potential lies as a football team this season. I am just curious to know your experience with Ryle's program so we can accurately assess your judgement.

 

Is that what is necessary now to have an opinion on a team? Looking at the seniors lost and having knowledge of the players that are being counted on to replace them isn't enough?

Thanks VoR. Add to that the scrimmage result.

 

If, and it is a big if, Ryle is as good as/or better than last year then CovCath probably should be ranked #2 in 4A.

 

And one last thing Larry, we are not talking about potential.

Ryle looked better in this scrimmage than they looked vs. Dixie in last year's scrimmage. So, going by what I saw at this point in the season this year vs. last year, Ryle is about the same as last year as I stated earlier.

Ryle looked better in this scrimmage than they looked vs. Dixie in last year's scrimmage. So, going by what I saw at this point in the season this year vs. last year, Ryle is about the same as last year as I stated earlier.

 

While as a CovCath fan I am very happy you are saying that but.......

 

Let me get this straight!

 

You are saying that last year Ryle team looked worse in their Dixie scrimmage, than in this years CovCath scrimmage?

 

You do realize that Ryle blew out CovCath the following week and that CovCath defeated Dixie when those two teams played last year!

 

Sorry SS but no way is Ryle as good as last years team!

 

Elliott is still Elliott but no way shape or form is the new QB on the same level as Hemple (sp?). That young man was a stud IMHO not only as passer but as a runner and the kid was very, very smart, a winner/leader on the field if there ever was one!

Watch out tog, Larry will be coming for you too!!!

 

And I agree with you 800%, I am sure the new QB will be a nice high school QB but Ryle had an absolute stud last year so for this Ryle team to better would nearly be impossible.

Watch out tog, Larry will be coming for you too!!!

 

And I agree with you 800%, I am sure the new QB will be a nice high school QB but Ryle had an absolute stud last year so for this Ryle team to better would nearly be impossible.

 

 

Agree!

While as a CovCath fan I am very happy you are saying that but.......

 

Let me get this straight!

 

You are saying that last year Ryle team looked worse in their Dixie scrimmage, than in this years CovCath scrimmage?

 

You do realize that Ryle blew out CovCath the following week and that CovCath defeated Dixie when those two teams played last year!

 

Sorry SS but no way is Ryle as good as last years team!

 

Elliott is still Elliott but no way shape or form is the new QB on the same level as Hemple (sp?). That young man was a stud IMHO not only as passer but as a runner and the kid was very, very smart, a winner/leader on the field if there ever was one!

 

Yes, Ryle looked TERRIBLE vs. Dixie last year -false starts, dropped passes, missed tackles. Then, then looked very good vs. CovCath (running the football not passing the football). After the CovCath game, Ryle looked very average for about 6 straight games until they started playing a lot of guys 2 ways last year. Hempel even ended up playing 2 ways. Heck, we had a game last year 0-7 passing and many others with very few completions. Contrary to your opinion, Conner was a stud runner but NOT a stud passer by any means. Great young man, great leader - nothing but positives about him except not a stud passer. Kremer and Lawrence were stud passers - Hempel was a stud rushing QB.

Someone from Ryle agrees with me! Larry is coming for you too Wagon.

 

SS, is there a bigger issue here? Why wasn't Hempel a stud passer? Was it because he just wasn't a stud passer? Was is because Ryle's offense needs some help in the passing game overall? Or a combo of both?

Someone from Ryle agrees with me! Larry is coming for you too Wagon.

 

SS, is there a bigger issue here? Why wasn't Hempel a stud passer? Was it because he just wasn't a stud passer? Was is because Ryle's offense needs some help in the passing game overall? Or a combo of both?

Let's not forget that he had a different offensive coordinator every year.

Mr Guru, my but aren't you the pot stirrer this year.

Lack of reps and weak receiving corps last year plus better coaching in the passing game was needed. I do not even think the Raiders participated in passing league last year. Ryle completed less than 50% of passes last year and lacked a go-to receiver. Ryle is working on the passing game a lot more and has better receivers this year - that makes a big difference in the passing game. I guarantee you they could not have pulled off an 81-yard TD pass last year. Smith is a very good tight end - tall, lanky with good hands and decent speed. They have 2 other tall wide receivers. Davis is not as tall and strong as Hempel and not a pure passer from a mechanics standpoint like Hempel but he is tough and elusive scrambler as evidenced by 3-4 very nice scrambles vs. CovCath. And, Nathan Davis is a good leader and great young man. I see the 2010 team and 2011 team as about the same at this point in the season plus you have a year bigger, faster stronger Travis Elliott, who I would not trade for another player in the State because of his toughness and work ethic. Wait and see before assuming this is a down year at Ryle. Good programs reload and Ryle is a good program. This will be another good year in Union.

Mr Guru, my but aren't you the pot stirrer this year.

 

scout, 2011 should be the best year ever on BGP!

In all seriousness, I know the coordination of the offense has been a concern of Coach Warner's for a long time and he has been trying different solutions that haven't worked well.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.