Navy Seal Training

Qryche11

My son confided in me about a month ago that he has aspirations of entering the Navy Seal Training program once he graduates. I was somewhat shocked, only because he is a quiet, mild mannered kid who certainly never came across as being someone interested in the military.

He is an athletic kid with a strong will and is very intelligent. I know that most of the difficulty in SEAL training is mental but also know the physical stuff they put you through is very grueling. He is up for the challenge and in fact will start a workout plan soon to get him prepared. He is only going to be a Junior in HS this year so he has plenty of time to prepare himself both physically and mentally.

Are any of you familiar with the BUD program or with the SEAL program? Any experiences you can share would be great to hear. He is going to sit down with a family friend who has been a SEAL for 12 years in the next few months. From what I hear, SEAL's are involved in things that never get disclosed to the public and some of it is just NASTY.

Not sure what kind of workout plan he is going to start but have him take a look at sealfit.com.

I have never known anyone that was a seal. I have cousin that is in the Navy and when he was still in college during one summer he got to train with the seals for a day. Said he doesn't see how anyone could do what they did any longer then that.

My son confided in me about a month ago that he has aspirations of entering the Navy Seal Training program once he graduates. I was somewhat shocked, only because he is a quiet, mild mannered kid who certainly never came across as being someone interested in the military.

He is an athletic kid with a strong will and is very intelligent. I know that most of the difficulty in SEAL training is mental but also know the physical stuff they put you through is very grueling. He is up for the challenge and in fact will start a workout plan soon to get him prepared. He is only going to be a Junior in HS this year so he has plenty of time to prepare himself both physically and mentally.

Are any of you familiar with the BUD program or with the SEAL program? Any experiences you can share would be great to hear. He is going to sit down with a family friend who has been a SEAL for 12 years in the next few months. From what I hear, SEAL's are involved in things that never get disclosed to the public and some of it is just NASTY.

You need to watch the BUDS Class 234 show put together by the Military Channel. Really gives a solid account of the mental and physical obstacles one may endure. Physically he can probably get through it. They break you down mentally. I believe only 25-30% make it through the training.

You need to watch the BUDS Class 234 show put together by the Military Channel. Really gives a solid account of the mental and physical obstacles one may endure. Physically he can probably get through it. They break you down mentally. I believe only 25-30% make it through the training.

Agreed: http://www.amazon.com/Navy-Seals-Buds-Class-234/dp/B000QFAFS6

I have met a couple of SEALs, although on the specific occasions when I met them, it wasn't really the time or place to get into "so what are some of the crazy things you did as a SEAL" conversation - as much as I would have liked to. I think talking to your family friend will be the best information your son can get on the idea, though. Also, the Military Channel special on BUDS Class 234 should be fairly informative as well.

As to your comment about SEALs involvement in clandestine and undisclosed operations, that's exactly correct. That is one of their primary purposes. I have a good friend who is an Airborne Ranger, and he has done plenty of things that he can't comment on. He currently has two Bronze Stars with Valor Devices, and he isn't at liberty to discuss the circumstances for which he was cited with the awards. That being said, Rangers don't have nearly the specialization that SEALs do, so I can only assume that SEALs do more than plenty of that...

Q, he sounds like he has quality aspirations. I think you'd be a very proud father of a Navy SEAL. Not that you wouldn't be otherwise, but you know what I'm saying. I wish him luck and you some sound advice when he needs it.

I don't know a lot about their training other than sleep deprivation. A big part of the mental aspect of it is making you go hungry and without sleep for very long periods of time, and what sleep they do allow you to have isn't much.

These guys recommended this video to me and I have to say it's exceptional. A must watch for your son.

Swim swim swim baby. That's honestly one of the best things he can do. I have a friend I played football with in high school that graduated and went in to the Navy with aspirations of joining the SEAL program. He did just that and eventually dropped out of it. However you could tell he was a completely different person after the experience. He went from being a person that was very much like you described your child being to someone that was confident and determined.

I talked to him about why he dropped out of it when he did after having made it so far in to the program. He said that it was all psychological, at that point in his life as a young man barely out of high school he just wasn't prepared to give his life for the mission. He confided in me that he still wanted to do it and ended up going back in to the program and succeeding. I'm not sure what his status is at this time but he's still in the NAVY and has some pretty interesting stories. What I'm saying is that from what he's told me that it's not just about being able to go harder or longer than the next guy but being able to do what ever it takes to protect the guys around you and achieve your objective even if that means you don't come home. It's a scary reality, but at the same time it's one that us as Americans should be really proud of that we have people in our country that put us first no matter what the cost.

Oh and one other thing, tell your son it's awesome that he wants to serve his country and represent his community.

I've known a couple people who are either A.) SEALS or B.) tried to be a SEAL and from what they have told me its no joke. A friend who I grew up with and played ball with went straight to the Naval Academy after high school. His intention was to be a Navy SEAL. This is a guy whos mom was a Guidance Counselor at the high school I attended and a guy who was a terrific three sport athlete who scored like a 31 on his ACT. He could have went to almost any college he wanted to, but in the end chose the Naval Academy. He was as well rounded as one could be but was declined a chance at being a SEAL because of a previous shoulder injury suffered from playing high school football. I'm pretty sure all the injury was was a dislocation, but it was still enough for him not to qualify. He still ended up doing something pretty major in the Navy and hes still serving right now, but that is his story.

Another SEAL story I know is from a guy who is from my hometown, but about 10 years older than me. Almost same story as the other guy, three sport star, super intelligent, just well rounded. Not sure how true this is but have heard from many people, including his brother who tell this. They say he had went through SEAL training and was ready to become a SEAL. Had went through the entire process but one major task stood in his way. I heard there was a drill in which you had a partner and you basically had to drown yourself and it was up to your partner to bring you back and recesitate you. They said he couldn't bring himself to do that and ended up not finishing because he said he could not trust his life in the hands of someone else. Again not sure how true it is but from all acounts this was supposed to have actually happened. I had heard this was the last major hurdle for him becoming a SEAL and just could not bring himself to do it.

They are the badest men on the planet! I lost a fraternity brother in Pakistan this past Nov that was a part of the SEAL 6 team. I agree if you can watch the thing on the history channel it shows a lot how they break them down mentally. Kudos to him for being passionate about it. It is the best of the best of the best!

He has watched that and he knows it's 90% mental

Thanks to everyone who shared your insights, kind words and encouragement. I am going to start the training with him just to try something out of the norm. Alot of pushups, sit-ups, pull ups, running and swimming. It's an 18 week program that starts out in moderation and builds your endurance up. after week 15 you are swimming for 70 minutes straight without stopping. I'm not sure how it will workout as basketball conditioning starts in Sept but he is determined. I'm buying him some whey protein, supplements and multivitamins to help him pickup some weight. He goes about 6'1 165 lbs right now. I'd like to see him get 10 lbs by December.