Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2011 Class 4A Preseason Rankings

Featured Replies

As I said, all I saw were the two games against Johnson Central. Even on a bad ankle, Mueller had Towles carrying the football more than throwing, especially in the first half as I recall. Not saying Towles is an inferior QB, or even that he was at full strength against JC, nor will I deny he might have been throttled a bit by the conservative game plan. He throws fine passes, and he's a top-notch HS QB. Bir ripped us apart throwing the football, though. All over the field, all the different routes, and very accurate, again and again. I'm not saying Towles is overrated as a prospect; I'm saying Bir is very UNDERrated at this point. I'm sure that'll change.

 

You are correct about Towles running more than passing against JC, but barely. Towles had 18 rushing attempts for 60 yds. He was 9 of 16 passing for 152 yards (for approx 17 yds per completion). While he had more rushing attempts than passing, the passes yielded more than twice the yards however.

 

Bir was 20 of 42 against JC for 210 yards (for approx 10.5 yds per completion), but I do agree with you that Bir is a very fine QB.

  • Replies 42
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are correct about Towles running more than passing against JC, but barely. Towles had 18 rushing attempts for 60 yds. He was 9 of 16 passing for 152 yards (for approx 17 yds per completion). While he had more rushing attempts than passing, the passes yielded more than twice the yards however.

 

Bir was 20 of 42 against JC for 210 yards (for approx 10.5 yds per completion), but I do agree with you that Bir is a very fine QB.

 

Not to stray too far away from the original thread, but a really good HS QB should average 17+ yds per completion and have a 60% completion rate. That requires accuracy and throwing both long and short routes. That being said, 4A should be one of the two most competitive divisions again this year. I was told Boyle lost a lot of seniors, so it will be interesting to see if they can hold the #2 spot.

Not to stray too far away from the original thread, but a really good HS QB should average 17+ yds per completion and have a 60% completion rate.

 

Depends on the type of offense and , specifically, the type of passing game. I'm not sure of Bir's YPC last season. My guess is it as solid as he threw for over 2,000 yards. Overall, I find judging a qb by stats to be misleading.

1. Highlands

2. Boyle County

3. Lone Oak

4. Lexington Catholic

5. Covington Catholic

6. Johnson Central

7. Knox Central

8. Franklin-Simpson

9. Western

10. Madisonville-North Hopkins

 

Some really good QBs in this group.

 

How many yards passing will we see between the QBs from Highlands, Lone Oak, LexCath, and CCH? 10,000?

Depends on the type of offense and , specifically, the type of passing game. I'm not sure of Bir's YPC last season. My guess is it as solid as he threw for over 2,000 yards. Overall, I find judging a qb by stats to be misleading.

 

I totally agree..

How many yards passing will we see between the QBs from Highlands, Lone Oak, LexCath, and CCH? 10,000?

 

CCH is going to be more of a running team behind that big O-line.

Bir will get his yards, but Gray will be the focus of the offense.

CCH is going to be more of a running team behind that big O-line.

Bir will get his yards, but Gray will be the focus of the offense.

 

I disagree. It will be similar to last year IMO. Bir is better than last year. RB depth is about the same. Unless CCH suddenly can't find receivers to catch the ball I still see Bir going for 2k yards. I'm a huge fan of Gabe Gray and he will have a strong year.

How many yards passing will we see between the QBs from Highlands, Lone Oak, LexCath, and CCH? 10,000?

 

If you add in Johnson Central's QB you will have 10,100!

You are correct about Towles running more than passing against JC, but barely. Towles had 18 rushing attempts for 60 yds. He was 9 of 16 passing for 152 yards (for approx 17 yds per completion). While he had more rushing attempts than passing, the passes yielded more than twice the yards however.

 

Bir was 20 of 42 against JC for 210 yards (for approx 10.5 yds per completion), but I do agree with you that Bir is a very fine QB.

 

The JC game was not Blakes best. Having said that he was a victim of at least 3 drops, two of which were probable TD's another at least a 40 yard gain. The reality is for Bir to be considered with Towles is quite an honor. I expect Blake to have a great Junior season, but Towles is a 2 time state champ who has verbally committed to UK. I think Blake would be happy to be considered in that company.

Depends on the type of offense and , specifically, the type of passing game. I'm not sure of Bir's YPC last season. My guess is it as solid as he threw for over 2,000 yards. Overall, I find judging a qb by stats to be misleading.

 

I agree totally. Only reason I posted the stats of Towles and Bir against JC was to point out that Towles attemped almost as many passes as he had rushes; and to point out that to the extent yards per catch and percentage of completions have an impact on the outcome of a game (they often do in my opinion) Towles was pretty darn effective when he did throw the ball. Dale went with the conservative offensive philosophy that he felt would best enable Highlands to beat JC which meant a balanced offense. Wirth did the same, but he obviously felt throwing the ball 42 times gave CovCath the best chance of winning.

The JC game was not Blakes best. Having said that he was a victim of at least 3 drops, two of which were probable TD's another at least a 40 yard gain. The reality is for Bir to be considered with Towles is quite an honor. I expect Blake to have a great Junior season, but Towles is a 2 time state champ who has verbally committed to UK. I think Blake would be happy to be considered in that company.

 

Hopefully your post was not made because you interpreted my post as being critical of Bir. I intended nothing close to such. I'm very high on Bir and expect him to be one of the best QBs in the state this and next year. Since Black Eagle made the comparison and assessment that Bir was the more accurate passer, I thought some stats might be meaningful. But as you pointed out, Bir's stats could have been even better but for the dropped passes. Without going back and watching the game film, I can't say if Towles also suffered the same fate.

How many yards passing will we see between the QBs from Highlands, Lone Oak, LexCath, and CCH? 10,000?

 

That might be low! Ousley at LO could get 3500+ by himself! LO does have a tough schedule this year, but this young man follows well in the Robinson/Brown/Looper footsteps!:thumb:

Hopefully your post was not made because you interpreted my post as being critical of Bir. I intended nothing close to such. I'm very high on Bir and expect him to be one of the best QBs in the state this and next year. Since Black Eagle made the comparison and assessment that Bir was the more accurate passer, I thought some stats might be meaningful. But as you pointed out, Bir's stats could have been even better but for the dropped passes. Without going back and watching the game film, I can't say if Towles also suffered the same fate.

 

Didn't interpret it as a criticism at all, I was just giving my view as to Blake's numbers. Blake made such huge strides from the Ryle game to where he was at the end of the year. He had two series in the 2nd half of the JC game where he wasn't at his best, accounting for 4 of the incompletions he had, unfortunately those two series were critical in the outcome of the game. To counter that I wanted to be fair to Blake and mention that the drops were equally if not more critcal to the outcome of the game.

 

I expect big things out of Blake the next two years, the fact that he is being mentioned in conversations with Towles and the other top qb's in the state I think is fantastic.

If you add in Johnson Central's QB you will have 10,100!

 

Very nice. Well done, my friend.

Very nice. Well done, my friend.

 

I thought you might appreciate my attempt at humor.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.