K-Rod to Brewers ...

That makes total sense but you and I don't have any idea what his agent Scott Boros has discussed with Brewers management regarding the situation prior to the trade. Boros is no dummy and K-Rod wouldn't have agreed to the trade if there wasn't the possibility of something coming his way.
K-Rod only had a limited no trade clause. The Brewers were not one of the teams on that list. So he didn't really agree to anything. More than likely this came as a complete surprise to both he and Boras.

But all is not lost for Boras (though he didn't get to pick the team like I'm sure he wanted to). Actually, Boras may campaign for his player openly to be the closer, but secretly he probably hopes the option doesn't vest. Because once he is a FA then Boras will start making commission off of his new deal, not the current one (which I didn't consider at all when I made my first post). K-Rod will need to be a good teammate no matter what in order to keep his value high so he will have to set-up if that's what the Brewers indeed choose to do. The best scenario for Boras' is K-Rod gets saves some to keep his value higher but doesn't vest the option.

The real loser here is K-Rod who won't make anything near $17 million next year in free agency.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

About as pleased as we are with CoCo. The last 4 games he pitched went like this. Does this sound like something you would be pleased with if you now have a solid guy in your bullpen to replace him with? You may be right that Axford could remain the closer but Doug Melvin is not the "toothpick" and I'm sure he would like to keep his job.

July 4 he pitched 1 inning gave up 4 hits and 2 er and took a loss versus Ariz

July 6 he pitched a perfect inning and picked up a save versus Ariz

July 7 he pitched 1 inning gave up 3 hits and a walk and 1 er with a HR but still got the save because an inept Cincy offense couldn't take advantage of what they had in the inning

July 9 he pitched a perfect inning in a mopup role in a 8-4 loss to Cincy

Pretty sure Ron Roenicke has the ability to pitch him when he wants not Doug Melvin...

Cardinals just signed Jamie Garcia to a 4 year 27.5 MM deal....Could this mean Carpenter won't be brought back? No idea where they'll be coming up with the money to keep Albert and Carpenter.

They probably just wanted to make sure Garcia is locked down because he is such a good talent. Not going to pretend to know where the money is coming from. I think it'll depend on how Carp finishes, but if they don't get Bell or Salas falls apart they could put Carp in the closer role. Defiantly has the mentality.

They probably just wanted to make sure Garcia is locked down because he is such a good talent. Not going to pretend to know where the money is coming from. I think it'll depend on how Carp finishes, but if they don't get Bell or Salas falls apart they could put Carp in the closer role. Defiantly has the mentality.

Whining crybaby is the mentality for a closer? :rolleyes:

Given the high pitch counts Carpenter has logged lately, I doubt the Cardinals plan to pick up his pricey option.

Wow, talk about the Brewers going all in. I still think the Cardinals will be alright and they will be upgrading as well.
The Brewers were pretty much "all in" anyway after the trades for Marcum and Greinke over the winter, knowing that they will probably lose Fielder to free agency.

Reports say that Rodriguez has waived the vesting option for additional compensation and will opt for free agency after the season. Good move for the Brewers, who can use him without concern for his contract status.

Reports say that Rodriguez has waived the vesting option for additional compensation and will opt for free agency after the season. Good move for the Brewers, who can use him without concern for his contract status.

Think that maybe the front office had an idea this might happen?

They turned it into a mutual option and upped the buyout a little bit.