Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Walton

Featured Replies

Now that is funny. How can someone who has never coached at the high school level (freshman, jv, varsity) be as good or better than any high school coach in the 8th? There's an aweful lot of good coaches in the 8th. Coaching middle school and AAU elementary/middle school level is no where close to coaching varsity. Yes, Walton should be successful next year based on the talent they have coming back. A novice could win 20 games with their talent! Should be interesting to see how this parent/coach handles all the other parents. We all know that Sullivan was the most qualified candidate for the position but once again the administration passed on him. If this is the most qualified candidate that they had to choose from then it was slim pickings.

 

You have some really good points. From what I have heard there was not as much interest in this position as they thought there would be. Coach Sullivan would have been a great hire, and hopefully he still stays on the coaching staff. Only time will tell, but if I were a betting Man I would say the next two seasons will be great ones for the Lady Bearcats. Good Luck to the new coach and Lady Bearcats.

  • Replies 76
  • Views 15.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clinkenbeard, this is an awful choice. He was one of Millers bashers. Sat by him

at many games. See how he takes all the bashing. be surprised if all returning

players come back out

 

Why would Mark be an awful choice? Did you apply? Every parent and fan has bashed the head coach at one time or another, so just don't single Mark out. Knowing Mark like I do, I am for sure he can take any bashing any parent or fan has to dish out.

 

Mark has done a pretty darn good job at the AAU level with the middle school and high school levels. From what I know, he was well liked by the players who played for him which is alot of the current Walton players. They also liked his style of play which is attacking on both ends of the court. So, I don't know where you come off saying you be surprised if all the returning players come out this fall.

 

Let's see how all this turns out this coming season and then we can discuss how the new coach did when next March comes around.

Edited by Tiger1

I know there is more to this whole situation than most outsiders know. W-V administration has high expectations and wants all of their athletic programs to excel. I am sure that the new coach is the best person for the job given the circumstances. I am also sure that the coaching staff as a whole will continue the success that the program has experienced over the last few years. As a parent of a player I am pleased.

Like I said in a previous post, they will win just because of the talent they have coming back and not because of who the coach is. I hear that Sullivan will remain as the assistant so that will provide the experience they need at the coaching level as long as Clinkenbeard listens to him and takes his advise. Somewhat ackward, with the assistant being the head coach and the head being the assistant. If Clinkenbeard's smart, he will play the role.

Is he related to the Clinkenbeard who played in the early '90's for WV?

Is he related to the Clinkenbeard who played in the early '90's for WV?

 

That's him.

Like I said in a previous post, they will win just because of the talent they have coming back and not because of who the coach is. I hear that Sullivan will remain as the assistant so that will provide the experience they need at the coaching level as long as Clinkenbeard listens to him and takes his advise. Somewhat ackward, with the assistant being the head coach and the head being the assistant. If Clinkenbeard's smart, he will play the role.

 

I think Mark will definitely listen to Coach Sullivan, but make no mistake Mark will not be just the head coach in name only.

That's him.

 

Actually, I am pretty sure Mark played for WV back in the early to mid 80's.

I think Mark will definitely listen to Coach Sullivan, but make no mistake Mark will not be just the head coach in name only.

 

I'm sure everything will work out and Walton will have a successful season. Good luck to Coach Clinkenbeard and the Lady Cats.

You have some really good points. From what I have heard there was not as much interest in this position as they thought there would be. Coach Sullivan would have been a great hire, and hopefully he still stays on the coaching staff. Only time will tell, but if I were a betting Man I would say the next two seasons will be great ones for the Lady Bearcats. Good Luck to the new coach and Lady Bearcats.

 

I think there was interest I personally know of one that didn't even get a call and was qualified!

Now that is funny. How can someone who has never coached at the high school level (freshman, jv, varsity) be as good or better than any high school coach in the 8th? There's an aweful lot of good coaches in the 8th. Coaching middle school and AAU elementary/middle school level is no where close to coaching varsity. Yes, Walton should be successful next year based on the talent they have coming back. A novice could win 20 games with their talent! Should be interesting to see how this parent/coach handles all the other parents. We all know that Sullivan was the most qualified candidate for the position but once again the administration passed on him. If this is the most qualified candidate that they had to choose from then it was slim pickings.
I agree there are a lot of good coaches in the 8th no doubt. Mark has worked with most of this same group of parents for years under the same parent coach circumstances. Dan Sullivan would have been a great choice, but I believe Walton now has the best of both worlds having both Mark and Dan on the coaching staff. As far as Marks experience being "no where close to coaching varsity" I would agree. He has coached for years against teams that would drum most varsity teams and he has done it with great success. He has coached against the best of the best High School players year in and year out. Mark knows the game and has more experience with this group of players than anyone. Mark was a great choice and Walton is very lucky to have him.
  • Author

Should be interesting. We'll see how much he likes it when he is the one feeling the arrows.

I agree there are a lot of good coaches in the 8th no doubt. Mark has worked with most of this same group of parents for years under the same parent coach circumstances. Dan Sullivan would have been a great choice, but I believe Walton now has the best of both worlds having both Mark and Dan on the coaching staff. As far as Marks experience being "no where close to coaching varsity" I would agree. He has coached for years against teams that would drum most varsity teams and he has done it with great success. He has coached against the best of the best High School players year in and year out. Mark knows the game and has more experience with this group of players than anyone. Mark was a great choice and Walton is very lucky to have him.

 

I would agree 100%!!

I agree there are a lot of good coaches in the 8th no doubt. Mark has worked with most of this same group of parents for years under the same parent coach circumstances. Dan Sullivan would have been a great choice, but I believe Walton now has the best of both worlds having both Mark and Dan on the coaching staff. As far as Marks experience being "no where close to coaching varsity" I would agree. He has coached for years against teams that would drum most varsity teams and he has done it with great success. He has coached against the best of the best High School players year in and year out. Mark knows the game and has more experience with this group of players than anyone. Mark was a great choice and Walton is very lucky to have him.
I know Coach Clinkenbeard personally and think he will do a great job. As far as your comment on AAU competition "drumming" most high school teams goes, big deal. AAU coaches hand pick their talent, high school coaches do not get that opportunity.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.