N. Ky. Basketball All Stars

Jake Geisler of Newport Central Catholic is Boys Player of the Year.

Sydney Moss of Boone County is Girls Player of the Year.

Ken Chevalier of Dixie Heights is Boys Coach of the Year.

Cory Miller of Walton Verona is Girls Coach of the Year.

Here is the article with a link to the entire team.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110427/SPT0302/104270353/Giesler-Moss-were-class-court?odyssey=nav|head

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jake Geisler of Newport Central Catholic is Boys Player of the Year.

Sydney Moss of Boone County is Girls Player of the Year.

Ken Chevalier of Dixie Heights is Boys Coach of the Year.

Cory Miller of Walton Verona is Girls Coach of the Year.

Here is the article with a link to the entire team.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110427/SPT0302/104270353/Giesler-Moss-were-class-court?odyssey=nav|head

Congrats to all the players who made the teams:ylsuper:

With Ernst leaving and Dyer doing the compilation not sure how many coaches take part.

On the boys side I don't think you could go wrong with Giesler or Kellen Smith as POY and Thelen had a heck of a year statistically as well. The rest of the first teamers are pretty solid even though I think a pretty strong case could be made for Tyler Fangman to be a first teamer.

However, just my opinion it starts to lose it's credibility when you start looking at the players who made Honorable Mention. Beechwood gets 4 players and Dayton gets 3 while CovCath gets Thelen (1st Team) and Connelly? Tyler Hodges doesn't even start for Conner and gets HM?

Frank Muntis is a great student & kid at Dixie but HM over Hassell and Stansberry? Ryle only gets Stauffer (1st Team) and Perkins (HM)? Where is Mullins from Ryle?

Campbell County only gets Losey as a 1st Teamer? How does McGovney not get a HM?

Eli Reese from Holmes....great student but doesn't even start at Holmes?

Walton Verona is still Northern Kentucky? How are they not represented at all after the season that they had? Still a little bias for our 8th and 10th Region Teams??

Not sure about the nominating criteria but if it is supposed to represent the best basketball players regardless of class from Northern Kentucky there were a swings and misses.

First of all congrats to all that were named! Leaving Tyler Fangman off the 1st team

list is a joke!

Congrats to all the players who made the teams:ylsuper:

With Ernst leaving and Dyer doing the compilation not sure how many coaches take part.

On the boys side I don't think you could go wrong with Giesler or Kellen Smith as POY and Thelen had a heck of a year statistically as well. The rest of the first teamers are pretty solid even though I think a pretty strong case could be made for Tyler Fangman to be a first teamer.

However, just my opinion it starts to lose it's credibility when you start looking at the players who made Honorable Mention. Beechwood gets 4 players and Dayton gets 3 while CovCath gets Thelen (1st Team) and Connelly? Tyler Hodges doesn't even start for Conner and gets HM?

Frank Muntis is a great student & kid at Dixie but HM over Hassell and Stansberry? Ryle only gets Stauffer (1st Team) and Perkins (HM)? Where is Mullins from Ryle?

Campbell County only gets Losey as a 1st Teamer? How does McGovney not get a HM?

Eli Reese from Holmes....great student but doesn't even start at Holmes?

Walton Verona is still Northern Kentucky? How are they not represented at all after the season that they had? Still a little bias for our 8th and 10th Region Teams??

Not sure about the nominating criteria but if it is supposed to represent the best basketball players regardless of class from Northern Kentucky there were a swings and misses.

Someone from the paper took the players that were voted from the coaches association, and put them all on the list. Basically, if you were in the program for any reason (Academic Award, Mr. Hustile) at the banquet, the paper put you in their honorable mention.

Someone from the paper took the players that were voted from the coaches association, and put them all on the list. Basically, if you were in the program for any reason (Academic Award, Mr. Hustile) at the banquet, the paper put you in their honorable mention.

That explains it. Good job getting that info out to everyone. I actually kind of like the fact that these other players who received Academic and Hustle awards get honorable mention.

However, that doesn't explain how some deserving players did not receive honorable mention.

As to Fangman not making first team, I have to agree that he should have been there. Last year, did the kid from Villa who was the scorer make first team? If he made it last year then Fangman definitely should have made it this year.

That might explain some of the names but Roberts from Scott and Hodges from Conner were not recognized by the coaches association?

It just seems like the Enquirer took the easy way out just to get this published instead of actually researching the list.

I am all for recognizing the outstanding students that also play basketball. However that needs to be in another manner other than in print as a "Basketball All Star"

That didn't happen.

I have no problem with the all-star team. Nice selections overall and pretty deserving list.

Honorable mention list leaves questions, obviously.

Beechwood goes 0-12 against non NKAC-division III competition, and still has four guys make HM?

Dayton goes 5-20, playing a division III schedule, and gets three guys on HM?

Muntis from Dixie makes HM, but Stansberry does not?

I bet coaches had a lot to do with who made HM.

I have no problem with the all-star team. Nice selections overall and pretty deserving list.

Honorable mention list leaves questions, obviously.

Beechwood goes 0-12 against non NKAC-division III competition, and still has four guys make HM?

Dayton goes 5-20, playing a division III schedule, and gets three guys on HM?

Muntis from Dixie makes HM, but Stansberry does not?

I bet coaches had a lot to do with who made HM.

To me it's more about the continued decline of the Enquirer in covering Northern Kentucky High School sports and high school sports in general. There was just very little effort in putting this list together.

POY and 1st team you could have small debates and that is what makes it fun and interesting but when you get to the HM list it makes no sense. I know that losing Ernst did not make it easier but my expectation is that a major metropolitan newspaper would put forth a better effort.:isurrender:

I think The Enquirer is making an effort to find a viable replacement for Ernst.

I've heard the name of one candidate who would make a great local sports correspondant. I really hope, for the future of NoKy sports reporting, that it works out.

I think The Enquirer is making an effort to find a viable replacement for Ernst.

I've heard the name of one candidate who would make a great local sports correspondant. I really hope, for the future of NoKy sports reporting, that it works out.

Hopefully Richard Skinner is interested and being considered. He would be the best choice.