March 15, 201115 yr Even we he had done well over the Summer I was a bit skeptical but man has he come a long way. The guy gets the most out of his talents, and you have to admire him for that. He chose to fight it out when many would have left for supposed green pastures and you always want a guy like that on your team. I'm sure that the practice sessions against the '09/'10 big men didn't hurt and I'm sure he made those super stars work for everything during those sessions.
March 15, 201115 yr This kid has gone out there night after night and given 110%. They run no plays through him,yet,through sheer effort,he has become a vital part of this team. The youmger players could learn a lot from his hustle and work ethic.
March 15, 201115 yr He has become a poor man's Joey Dorsey. Fine by me. One thing I do not discount Cal on his ability to maximize the effort and potential of his players. Josh is a prime example of it and the type of unsung hero UK did not have last season. Cal is the Jedi Mind Ninja of college basketball coaches. I really think it is why players come in to school, as Freshman, and play over their heads. A lot of it is just mental and he knows it. Even on Saturday he was adamant in saying that Terrance Jones is the best player in college basketball. We know it is not true, but he can push the buttons. I literally laughed when I heard Cal say that on Saturday, but you are definitely correct. He said it for a purpose. Every little thing that Coach Cal says or does has a purpose behind it. All of this has to make you wonder if Coach Cal also told Harrelson that what he had to endure with BCG two years ago had also made him strong enough to push himself and except the role that Cal knew he could perform. It's a stretch, and we will likely never know, but considering the fact that JORTS has said several times that he felt surviving BCG made him stronger and able to perform at the level that Coach Cal expects, it's some what believable.
March 15, 201115 yr Do they give out a National Most Improved Player? If they do, I'd like to formally recommend Jorts to be in contention.
March 15, 201115 yr Has there been a player that has gone from obscurity to such an important piece of the puzzle like Harrelson? Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought that he would become such a stabilizing force down low. I really appreciate his effort and hustle.:thumb: We fans love the good story when good kids are involved and that's why we love the Jorts story. 88 minutes TOTAL action last year with low expectations coming into this season. He gets zero style points which offends some. All he does is do what he's asked to do - play big, defend the post, block some shots, and rebound.:thumb: ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Both comments really sum up my feelings. Imagine Billy G had Josh on the verge of quitting. One story was told that said that Gillispie had him ride in the equipment van at one point/game, telling him that he wasn't worth ridin with the team. (atta boy Otis G., )
March 15, 201115 yr He has become a poor man's Joey Dorsey. Fine by me. One thing I do not discount Cal on his ability to maximize the effort and potential of his players. Josh is a prime example of it and the type of unsung hero UK did not have last season. Cal is the Jedi Mind Ninja of college basketball coaches. I really think it is why players come in to school, as Freshman, and play over their heads. A lot of it is just mental and he knows it. Even on Saturday he was adamant in saying that Terrance Jones is the best player in college basketball. We know it is not true, but he can push the buttons. I agree. I've consistently been impressed with Calipari as a coach since he came to UK. I was a skeptic, like many still are, prior to that. But, having watched nearly every game for two years, he can coach. His ability to get loads of 5-star talent to buy in, share the ball, and give the effort defensively, virtually as soon as they get on campus is second-to-none in the college game. And, I think his in-game coaching which is always the criticism is very good as well. But, as you pointed out, it's not just the 5-star freshmen, it's every player. Harrelson as you noted. Liggins, going back to last year, has been playing tenacious defense when on the court. What he does is pretty impressive to me.
March 15, 201115 yr Same here, I think it was some of the off the court stories that really showed what kind of a great person he is and a great ambassador for the UK program as well. I'm glad Harrelson is a Wildcat. :thumb: He always seemed like a good guy. And, I remember reading or hearing stuff about him being a guy who jokes around a lot. He played solid ball when given the chance under Gillispie. I always thought he could have played more minutes as a sophomore under BCG.
March 26, 201115 yr Author Another huge game!!! He has played himself into position to make some good Euros next year
March 26, 201115 yr I know Kantor hasn't played a second for UK but wouldn't you say he has really contributed in some way to Harrellson's and UK's success?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.