Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The Cutting Process: A Better Way

Featured Replies

We may have discussed this on BGP previously but....

 

It's time to change the cut process.

 

I hate to have a kid have to show up on Monday either before or after school to go check a list to see if his name is on it. It's unnecessary in today's world.

 

EVERY kid and his family have an email address. Every coach has those emails or has access to them(some we know would rather chew on rusty nails than send an email on the email machine but I digress).

 

Send out a list of the boys that made the team to every kid that tries out. That way the kids that get cut can digest it, deal with it emotionally, and then prepare for the next day at school.

 

I know some of you hard guys are going to say "it's life" "deal with it" "life is hard" "they have to grow up sometime" etc. BULL! Kids go to high school - not adults. High school is NOT the time to "deal with it." It's the last hurrah of childhood.

 

Surely I'm not the only one , right?

  • Author

Before any of you reactionary folks scream "your kid must have gotten cut" take your hands off of the keyboard. I've said this for years and have no one who got cut.

I think posting names on a list and sending out an email is spineless.

 

Once you have made the decision of who made the team...you have them come in one by one and tell them in person, treat them like young men. You tell them why they did or didn't make the team, do not have them guessing or wondering why.

 

Do it after the last try out that way they can go straight to their rides and go home directly if they choose.

I think posting names on a list and sending out an email is spineless.

 

Once you have made the decision of who made the team...you have them come in one by one and tell them in person, treat them like young men. You tell them why they did or didn't make the team, do not have them guessing or wondering why.

 

Do it after the last try out that way they can go straight to their rides and go home directly if they choose.

 

I am with you. I think it should be done in person with a clear explanation of why and let the athlete know what they can do (if anything) to make the team next year. I also think a written explanation and evaluation should be given to the athlete to document for everyone what the athlete needs to improve on to have a chance to make the team.

  • Author
I think posting names on a list and sending out an email is spineless.

 

Once you have made the decision of who made the team...you have them come in one by one and tell them in person, treat them like young men. You tell them why they did or didn't make the team, do not have them guessing or wondering why.

 

Do it after the last try out that way they can go straight to their rides and go home directly if they choose.

 

I'm all for the "tell them in a one on one conversation" method. That's ideal but I don't think it happens. My suggestion was based on the "posted list" method.

I think posting names on a list and sending out an email is spineless.

 

Once you have made the decision of who made the team...you have them come in one by one and tell them in person, treat them like young men. You tell them why they did or didn't make the team, do not have them guessing or wondering why.

 

Do it after the last try out that way they can go straight to their rides and go home directly if they choose.

 

 

 

This is exactly how Cooper's administration has it done. They meet after school and EVERY kid is spoken to. The one's that make it are told what their role will be at this point in time and what to expect. The one's that don't are told what they need to improve on. This is the first year where over 20 kids were cut at all three levels. I was there to pick up my kid and I watched some of the kids walk out slowly dragging their feet and others running toward their parents as happy as can be. It is a tough, but necessary day. I hate lists and would take the e-mail in the evening before a list in the morning before school.

I think posting names on a list and sending out an email is spineless.

 

Once you have made the decision of who made the team...you have them come in one by one and tell them in person, treat them like young men. You tell them why they did or didn't make the team, do not have them guessing or wondering why.

 

Do it after the last try out that way they can go straight to their rides and go home directly if they choose.

 

Absolutely. It should be done this way.

I look at it this way. If a coach expects kids to respect him enough, to come to him when they have an issue with playing time, their role or whatever; then the coach should have enough respect for the kids to tell them face to face.

We may have discussed this on BGP previously but....

 

It's time to change the cut process.

 

I hate to have a kid have to show up on Monday either before or after school to go check a list to see if his name is on it. It's unnecessary in today's world.

EVERY kid and his family have an email address. Every coach has those emails or has access to them(some we know would rather chew on rusty nails than send an email on the email machine but I digress).

 

Send out a list of the boys that made the team to every kid that tries out. That way the kids that get cut can digest it, deal with it emotionally, and then prepare for the next day at school.

I know some of you hard guys are going to say "it's life" "deal with it" "life is hard" "they have to grow up sometime" etc. BULL! Kids go to high school - not adults. High school is NOT the time to "deal with it." It's the last hurrah of childhood.

 

Surely I'm not the only one , right?

 

Cry me a river, kids today are so pampered by some it's not funny. I got the "ax" by this method 30 years ago and I see no reason why this is a problem, everyone eventually knows who gets cut anyway. The following day was told what I needed to work on for the following season. I had no problem dealing with it. Why do some people keep treating HS students like "delicate little flowers". High school is life's "bootcamp", it's not easy, might not be fair, and requires hard work, however, succeed and the lessons you learn will prepare you for your adult life.

 

High School is were kids learn to become adults, you go in a kid and hopefully you come out an adult, remember HS=life's bootcamp.

I feel that come cut day that a list or email is an easy way out. I think that the kids deserve that face to face. It shows respect, IMO.

 

Things today are different from the past. Schools have their hands tied and sadly enough our generation created this problem. I think that for most kids they really don't start to become adults until they are close to graduating college. I am not saying all but a high percentage.

 

I do feel that kids need to get a little tougher, but once again, we as adults need to approve of these life lessons and sadly enough a high percentage does not.

  • Author
Cry me a river, kids today are so pampered by some it's not funny. I got the "ax" by this method 30 years ago and I see no reason why this is a problem, everyone eventually knows who gets cut anyway. The following day was told what I needed to work on for the following season. I had no problem dealing with it. Why do some people keep treating HS students like "delicate little flowers". High school is life's "bootcamp", it's not easy, might not be fair, and requires hard work, however, succeed and the lessons you learn will prepare you for your adult life.

 

High School is were kids learn to become adults, you go in a kid and hopefully you come out an adult, remember HS=life's bootcamp.

 

I would expect nothing less of you, Lawnboy. I appreciate your candor as misguided as I think it is.

I can tell you at Dixie the kids get a face to face meeting where they are either told 1) what they need to improve on to make the team next year or 2) what is expected from them during the season as a part of the team, the same as hja says happens at Cooper.

Cry me a river, kids today are so pampered by some it's not funny. I got the "ax" by this method 30 years ago and I see no reason why this is a problem, everyone eventually knows who gets cut anyway. The following day was told what I needed to work on for the following season. I had no problem dealing with it. Why do some people keep treating HS students like "delicate little flowers". High school is life's "bootcamp", it's not easy, might not be fair, and requires hard work, however, succeed and the lessons you learn will prepare you for your adult life.

 

High School is were kids learn to become adults, you go in a kid and hopefully you come out an adult, remember HS=life's bootcamp.

 

I agree that a list is fine. The Coach owes nobody an explaination. I too was cut this way years ago and I survived. Quit babying today's youth! Not everybody makes the team, not everyone gets a trophy and so on. If the player really wants to play, the player will take it upon themself to go ask the coach what they can do to improve to be able to make the team next year. The Coach will respect the player and may even find a way to make that player a part of the team. There are very few players if any who get cut and don't know why!

So because there was no dialogue with you and you had to search for your name that never seemed to appear you think every kid from now til the end of time should have to deal with this? Its obvious those who were cut this way are likely more in line with thinking the list should continue. I would have thought the opposite.

 

I think talking to each kid individually is the best way. It avoids dealing with back and forth emails and deals directly with the child.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.