Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The Cutting Process: A Better Way

Featured Replies

I agree that a list is fine. The Coach owes nobody an explaination. I too was cut this way years ago and I survived. Quit babying today's youth! Not everybody makes the team, not everyone gets a trophy and so on. If the player really wants to play, the player will take it upon themself to go ask the coach what they can do to improve to be able to make the team next year. The Coach will respect the player and may even find a way to make that player a part of the team. There are very few players if any who get cut and don't know why!

 

If the coach cannot tell the player face to face to me that means he does not respect the kids. You want the kids to go to him, when he did not have the guts to tell them in person?

 

The list is babying todays youth. Treat them like young men!

 

If a coach really wants to coach he will take it upon himself to be an adult/man and tell the kids in person.

It is the parents job to prepare the kids for lifes biggest challenges and disappointments, not the coaches. I dont really care how a coach tells my kid, I just make sure that he is ready when dumped on and help him or her learn from it.

I can't believe this is even a debate! Absolutely the coach should talk to every kid that tried out for his team. The kids deserve to hear why they didnt make it and what to do to improve, for me a coach that isn't willing to discuss with the kids that got cut why they got cut already had his team picked before the tryouts started. What if the coach showed up to practice and there was a note from Johnny on the dugout telling him he wouldn't be there, how well that would go over!

I can tell you at Dixie the kids get a face to face meeting where they are either told 1) what they need to improve on to make the team next year or 2) what is expected from them during the season as a part of the team, the same as hja says happens at Cooper.

 

This is the way it should be. If a kid has put the effort to make the team, the least the coach's can do is sit down and discuss it. It's not about treating kids like delicate flowers, its about "teaching" them how to act as an adult. I may be sheltered but at every place I have worked when someone gets "let go" whether it be for performance or for lack of work, the employee is given the courtesy of a face to face meeting. I think the days of "pink Slips" are long gone.

 

It's not like they are keeping them on the team, they are still being cut, they are simply being informed why the coach made the decision.

What is the rule about number of kids you can keep in High School Baseball?

 

The reason I ask, is that in the past week I have heard of 3 different schools with 3 different number of "Varsity" players. I didn't know if there was a limit, or if it us up to every individual school.

I would expect nothing less of you, Lawnboy. I appreciate your candor as misguided as I think it is.

 

Clyde, although we don't agree, I also respect your position on this matter.

I can't believe this is even a debate! Absolutely the coach should talk to every kid that tried out for his team. The kids deserve to hear why they didnt make it and what to do to improve, for me a coach that isn't willing to discuss with the kids that got cut why they got cut already had his team picked before the tryouts started. What if the coach showed up to practice and there was a note from Johnny on the dugout telling him he wouldn't be there, how well that would go over!

 

Agree 1000%, but I see no problem with a list on the coach's office door.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.