Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ramblings and comments from the Bank of Kentucky Center 9th Region Basketball games

Featured Replies

Have been led to believe that the Ninth has signed or will sign soon a new three year contract to host the Ninth Region Basketball Tournament at the Bank of Kentucky Center.

 

When you hear about what happened in the Sixth and Seventh Regions Friday Night, just be thankful that we in the Ninth play at a venue large enough to hold the crowds.

 

Speaking of crowds, the Ninth Region officials that I spoke to told me that the if the Boys Wednesday and Thursday night games were held at one of the three HS gyms that have hosted the Ninth Region in the past (Holmes, Conner and Ryle) they would have had to turn away a large number of fans. Attendance has been very good for all the games!

 

A tip of Theoldguy Hat to the CovCath, Dixie, HHS, NCC and Villa student bodies who came out to root on their classmates and teams. Just surprising to me how few students from two of the largest schools in NKy (Boone and Ryle) have not come to the games.

 

Was not completely surprised when I saw a CovCath student who I happen to know attending the St. Henry vs. Boone County game with some friends, but when he told me he would be leaving prior to the NDA vs. NCC game I was totally caught off guard for the reason. Seems that NDA had a school dance starting just 15 minutes after the start of their Ninth Region Semi-final game with NCC.

 

Spoke to a few NDA Basketball officials after the game at Barleycorns in Lakeside Park and when I asked about the dance ,they just rolled their eyes and shook their heads. They are holding out hope however that it will get better, as it seems that the freshmen class, when NDA hosted triple header came out in large numbers to root on their Freshmen Classmates.

 

The Ninth Region is thinking of moving the start of the first games from 6pm to 6:30pm to make it a bit easier for fans to get to the BOKC next year but they need to speak to NKU first to find out about traffic at that time of the night around the University.

 

While there is always going to be missed or blown calls at every game be it HS, College or even the Pros, the 8th Region Stripes have done a rather nice job of maintaining the flow of the games while keeping order on the floor. Congrats gentlemen!

 

While I didn't see it, I was told by a couple of media camera guys that the "BOKC seat police" tried very hard to keep the CovCath Crazies "yell leaders" in the stands while they were trying to lead the Crazies in their cheering! Come on "seat police" didn't you see the crowds at Half Time enjoying the Crazies. The Crazies "yell leaders" do more leading of their student bodies in cheering than any "Cheerleaders" ever have done!

 

In the 10 games played so far in both the Girls and Boys Ninth Region Tourney, only two of the game have been stinkers. All the other games have been close and exciting to watch and proves that there really is parity this season in the Ninth Region.

 

Here is hoping that the Ninth has a game program for sale next season at the BOKC! Seems two of the problems are the 36th playing their Championship games Saturday night causing the draw to take place on Sunday and the coaches themselves getting their roster in on a timely manner. I am certain that many fans attending the games would love to have a program and be willing to pay a buck or two for it, as most know who their players are but don't know who the other teams players are.

  • Replies 85
  • Views 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would hope that the 9th officials work a few things out with the people running the BOK, such as you stated about the "seat police", as well as their policy on radio and TV. I hear they still want to charge $10,000 for delay broadcasts! Even this year you had some radio people not know what was going on a few days before the tourney, if they would even be able to broadcast.

 

As TOG and many others have said, the BOK is for the entire NKY area!

  • Author
I would hope that the 9th officials work a few things out with the people running the BOK, such as you stated about the "seat police", as well as their policy on radio and TV. I hear they still want to charge $10,000 for delay broadcasts! Even this year you had some radio people not know what was going on a few days before the tourney, if they would even be able to broadcast.

 

As TOG and many others have said, the BOK is for the entire NKY area!

 

Oh it gets better SportsGuy; was told that there are people in NKy who would love for NKy to host the Girls Sweet Sixteen at the BOKC. They believe they would have little problem in getting the money/sponorship to host the event but it seems that NKU doesn't want to give up "the chance" (note I said a chance) of hosting a first round NCAA Division II tourney game. Seems many of the NKU officials believe that the BOKC is theirs, but if I remember correctly, it was sold to the legislatures and community as a regional/community/sports/entertainment center that NKU could use, but clearly not theirs!

Suggestion. Let ALL students in free when their team plays. I am hearing that lots of students are staying away due to cost. I know that an official from Dixie (maybe the principal) was handing out free tickets to Dixie students when they played on Thursday night. Let them show their student ID's and get em in the building. This really needs to change.

I know that the 10th Region-37th District is slated to host the 10th Region Girls next season, which is traditionally conducted at the Campbell County Middle School.

Campbell County administration is in talks with the BOK to see if they can "pair up" with the 9th Region Girls Tournament next year, to make the girls' tournaments more attractive to fans. There is even some chat that the 40th District, whose turn it is to host the 10th Region Boys tournament (Paris, Bourbon, Montgomery, and Clark) which traditionally goes to Montgomery County High School, might be casting eyes on the BOKC as well.

 

Personally, unless it is a very real advantage to moving the girls tournament from the CCMS to the BOKC, the CCMS seems a more viable, fans/teams friendly option than the too spacious BOKC. I'm wondering if the 9th Region Girls teams are really enjoying playing there?

  • Author
Suggestion. Let ALL students in free when their team plays. I am hearing that lots of students are staying away due to cost. I know that an official from Dixie (maybe the principal) was handing out free tickets to Dixie students when they played on Thursday night. Let them show their student ID's and get em in the building. This really needs to change.

 

Why? Do they get in free at their own home games? Maybe the six bucks for the kids at Holmes keep them out but you can't tell me that six dollars is keeping kids from attending from schools like Ryle! Seems to me that the Football playoffs games charge students pretty close to the same price and they get to see only one game and not two like at the Basketball Regional!

Why?? To encourage attendance, that's why. Why did Dixie give out free tickets? One reason, I'm sure. Think there is any correlation between Dixie's student attendance and the free admission? Any other schools give out free tickets? Once they get in, the concessions are also sticker shock for these kids. Should this really be a money maker on the students backs? I don't think so. 6 bucks is not an issue for me, but for some of these kids, it is.

  • Author
I know that the 10th Region-37th District is slated to host the 10th Region Girls next season, which is traditionally conducted at the Campbell County Middle School.

Campbell County administration is in talks with the BOK to see if they can "pair up" with the 9th Region Girls Tournament next year, to make the girls' tournaments more attractive to fans. There is even some chat that the 40th District, whose turn it is to host the 10th Region Boys tournament (Paris, Bourbon, Montgomery, and Clark) which traditionally goes to Montgomery County High School, might be casting eyes on the BOKC as well.

 

Personally, unless it is a very real advantage to moving the girls tournament from the CCMS to the BOKC, the CCMS seems a more viable, fans/teams friendly option than the too spacious BOKC. I'm wondering if the 9th Region Girls teams are really enjoying playing there?

 

Of course the crowds are not as large as the Boys but the crowd was large enough last night at the BOKC that the local HS gyms would have been hard pressed to sit everybody IMO!

 

Remember this though, a lot of fans who don't live and breath HS Basketball but enjoy a night out watching a game or two will venture out to the BOKC to watch, knowing full well that they will have a comfortable seat, clean bathrooms, plenty of parking close by and in general be comfortable while enjoy the games, you can't say the same thing about HS gyms in NKy!

  • Author
Why?? To encourage attendance, that's why. Why did Dixie give out free tickets? One reason, I'm sure. Think there is any correlation between Dixie's student attendance and the free admission? Any other schools give out free tickets? Once they get in, the concessions are also sticker shock for these kids. Should this really be a money maker on the students backs? I don't think so. 6 bucks is not an issue for me, but for some of these kids, it is.

 

I am glad that the administration gave out some free tickets to their students but you didn't answer my question! Does Dixie charge their students to attend their home basketball and home football games?

 

I do know that CovCath didn't give out free tickets to their students and for a school with less than 500 students they had the largest percentage of students attending but then again they always have huge student turn outs!

I am glad that the administration gave out some free tickets to their students but you didn't answer my question! Does Dixie charge their students to attend their home basketball and home football games?

 

I do know that CovCath didn't give out free tickets to their students and for a school with less than 500 students they had the largest percentage of students attending but then again they always have huge student turn outs!

 

I would assume that Dixie does charge for home game in both sports, but you can also get a hot dog for a buck. I just think other schools should follow Dixie's lead and give out free tickets to the students to create best atmosphere possible. These days, they need to realize there are lots of other things for kids to do and these are "competitors" to the games. Give the kids an enticement. As far as the CCH students go, well c'mon OG, we both know they are a bad example to use. They are simply the best. Kudos to the Dixie administration for the kind gesture.

BOK is nice, comfortable and provides a great viewing opportunity. Kids love to play on this floor. Students have many options for entertainment and it is not the dollars that keep most away. I am a huge fan of the BOK so I hope it stays put for years to come. I would also like to see the return of the tenth to the BOK.

I know that the 10th Region-37th District is slated to host the 10th Region Girls next season, which is traditionally conducted at the Campbell County Middle School.

Campbell County administration is in talks with the BOK to see if they can "pair up" with the 9th Region Girls Tournament next year, to make the girls' tournaments more attractive to fans. There is even some chat that the 40th District, whose turn it is to host the 10th Region Boys tournament (Paris, Bourbon, Montgomery, and Clark) which traditionally goes to Montgomery County High School, might be casting eyes on the BOKC as well.

 

Personally, unless it is a very real advantage to moving the girls tournament from the CCMS to the BOKC, the CCMS seems a more viable, fans/teams friendly option than the too spacious BOKC. I'm wondering if the 9th Region Girls teams are really enjoying playing there?

 

I would be real surprised if that happened.

BOK is nice, comfortable and provides a great viewing opportunity. Kids love to play on this floor. Students have many options for entertainment and it is not the dollars that keep most away. I am a huge fan of the BOK so I hope it stays put for years to come. I would also like to see the return of the tenth to the BOK.

 

Love the place. Great cozy venue. Not a bad seat. I'm with ya Panda.

Good points all around. I think the venue is nice but a few added amenities would make it even better:

1. A program. I would like to know the names, year, and listed height and weight of the players. I would pay for a program. I do everywhere else I go. Not sure if this is a 9th region issue, NKU, BOKC, or what. Just saying it would be nice to have a program.

2. Need a better PA person on the mic. Cannot understand the names. How about first and last names too. Adds to the experience. Enunciate. "goal by Downs, Cooper Downs".

 

and yes, 6:30 start on a weeknight is a must. Add more ticket takers too.

I am glad that the administration gave out some free tickets to their students but you didn't answer my question! Does Dixie charge their students to attend their home basketball and home football games?

 

I do know that CovCath didn't give out free tickets to their students and for a school with less than 500 students they had the largest percentage of students attending but then again they always have huge student turn outs!

 

 

Dixie sells an athletic pass to students that gets them into all home regular season events for a very reasonable price, I want to say $15.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.