Newport Central Catholic 69 Highlands 62 OT

This was one of the best games in the NewCath vs Highlands series. Hightchew had to have at least 30 pts. or more, the kid was ON FIRE. No one could stop him on the tribble drive thru the lane or the outside shots.

With about 8 seconds to go Hightchew drives and dishes off to Ryan, who almost turns the ball over on the baseline, gains control and hits nothing but net. Couldn't tell if his foot was on the 3 pt. line, on top of that the clock read 0.5. The refs said it was a 2 and then they put 2 more seconds on the clock. NewCath puts no one on the guy throwing it in and he heaves the ball clear down the court for a catch, two steps, layup, we're going to overtime. After that NewCath takes control and that's the ballgame.

This was definitely a game you hate to see someone having to lose. Both teams are to be commended for playing to their very best in this one. It's games like this that make High School athletics so much fun to watch. Congrats to both NewCath and Highlands in this one.

Highlands led by 10 late in 3rd and Hightchew brought em back. He is one of the best guard in NKY hands down. He can glide and is tough as nails. Crowley hit three treys in a row in the 2nd half during an 11-0 run by the Birds. Stewart hit some big shots including the bucket as time expired. I thought both teams played hard and it was a street fight. Two straight turnovers by Birds in OT killed them. You have to take care of the ball if you are in a game like that where possessions are key. The hat needs to be tipped to Hightchew for carrying the Breds. Also kudos to Bred soph Beuter who struggled entire night with turnovers but came in to hit 2 critical FTs when Ryan was fouled but had to leave the game.

If Im Ryle, Dixie orHolmes I dont want Highlands in round 1.

Highlands led by 10 late in 3rd and Hightchew brought em back. He is one of the best guard in NKY hands down. He can glide and is tough as nails. Crowley hit three treys in a row in the 2nd half during an 11-0 run by the Birds. Stewart hit some big shots including the bucket as time expired. I thought both teams played hard and it was a street fight. Two straight turnovers by Birds in OT killed them. You have to take care of the ball if you are in a game like that where possessions are key. The hat needs to be tipped to Hightchew for carrying the Breds. Also kudos to Bred soph Beuter who struggled entire night with turnovers but came in to hit 2 critical FTs when Ryan was fouled but had to leave the game.

If Im Ryle, Dixie orHolmes I dont want Highlands in round 1.

Highlands lost by an average of 20 points to Ryle, Holmes, and Dixie...maybe Highlands is a little worried of playing any of the three in round 1.

Highlands lost by an average of 20 points to Ryle, Holmes, and Dixie...maybe Highlands is a little worried of playing any of the three in round 1.

I believe the point was that Ryle and Holmes both lost to NCC and that HHS is playing pretty well right now, particularly with Stewart being back. I think HHS is a different team than when they played those 3 during the regular season. Should be a great match-up, regardless of who it is. Hopefully they take the Birds lightly...Should they do that, they will be in for a BIG surprise! Should be fun. Good luck Birds!!

I think Coach Flynn will be worried about who ever Highlands gets in the first round.

After the gazillion post about what was wrong with the Birds, I'd say he's not worried about a darn thing....he's making a regional appearance which is more than expected two months ago. Good luck Birds and Coach Flynn

Don't they have the exact same amount to lose as everyone else in the tournament?

Great first post lol.

Birds didnt have Stew or Crowley vs Dixie and didnt have Stewart vs Ryle. They had Stew in a 12 pt loss to Holmes but it was his 2nd game back after a month out.

Ask any NCC fan tonight and they will confirm this Highlands team is definitely a different team.

I actually hope they get Holmes and then the winner of maybe Ryle/St Henry.

We shall see soon enough.

I think Coach Flynn will be worried about who ever Highlands gets in the first round.

Obviously St. Henry has worries, but I think that the entire field, top to bottom, should have a little worry. The remaining 7 could beat up on each other any given night. This 9th Region tournament is solid with mystery. Obvious favorites with the likes of Dixie etc..., but you've got 7 teams here that 'all got game'. Most exciting Regional since 2001. :clap: :ylsuper: :thumb: