Florida 70 Kentucky 68

02Ram54

I have lunch with an NBA scout at least once per week and he was at the UK/UGA game in Rupp last Saturday and when I asked him about our Frosh he just laughed. Of course he works for the Orlando Magic and we all know who they picked last year. That being said, I'd say Jones and Lamb are gone for sure and Knight a huge possibility.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was all over Cal for not caling a time out against Ole Miss but I am fine with no time out at the end against Florida. If they wanted a three, there is no way they get a better look for Knight than what he shot. He just missed the shot. And it was the only three he missed all night.

As good as Jones is, I hope he does leave for the NBA. I think we have a lot of talent coming in and Jones would mess with the chemistry. Jones needs to get on the block and take over a game from there. He is great around the basket but he wants to hang on the perimeter and try to take people off the dribble. I think Knight will stay at least one more year. Lamb ... a game like Saturday will probably push him to the NBA because I am sure he was frustrated with how Cal used him and with the lack of opportunities he got. UK looked out of sync on offense most of the night.

On a positive note, that was probably the best game Vargas has played at UK. If he can minimize the mistakes and be solid on defense, I think he may help UK going down the stretch. Hood hit a big shot at the end of the first half.

I was all over Cal for not caling a time out against Ole Miss but I am fine with no time out at the end against Florida. If they wanted a three, there is no way they get a better look for Knight than what he shot. He just missed the shot. And it was the only three he missed all night.

As good as Jones is, I hope he does leave for the NBA. I think we have a lot of talent coming in and Jones would mess with the chemistry. Jones needs to get on the block and take over a game from there. He is great around the basket but he wants to hang on the perimeter and try to take people off the dribble. I think Knight will stay at least one more year. Lamb ... a game like Saturday will probably push him to the NBA because I am sure he was frustrated with how Cal used him and with the lack of opportunities he got. UK looked out of sync on offense most of the night.

On a positive note, that was probably the best game Vargas has played at UK. If he can minimize the mistakes and be solid on defense, I think he may help UK going down the stretch. Hood hit a big shot at the end of the first half.

To touch on all your points...

I was fine with the no timeout also. That is about as good of a look as you are going to get. Go for the win and get out of there.

I think Jones gets caught on the perimeter instead of the block because of lack of confidence. His shots are getting thrown in to the rafters due to his limited post game and playing like his right arm is tied behind his back. Over time his outside shot will improve and he will be tough to deal with, but that is not coming while in college, imo. Lamb has had lapses like this, but it is to be expected only being 18-19 years old. Still incredibly slow on defense which you cannot be in the NBA. He reminds me somewhat of Chris Lofton.

Vargas was more comfortable in the zone and it proved to be an effective defensive strategy. A lot of that had to do with Florida just not being a good shooting team, but it slowed their penetration and I think it is something we will continue to see the rest of the season.

Couple other thoughts...

The loss stunk, but it stings because of the loss earlier in the week at Ole Miss. They had no business losing that game, the Florida game is understandable.

Random observation here, but does anyone think the team played with more confidence and optimism leading up to the heart of the SEC schedule when they felt Kanter was going to play? Since his final ruling, it appears Harrelson has regressed as well as the results. What is his role with the team now?

^ Harrelson's biggest contribution to this team is on man defense. He does a great job clogging up the middle and hedging picks. Offensively, he is a garbage man and in the SEC there are too many big strong interior guys for him to pick up garbage points. If you want to try and get something out of him on offense, I think you should put him at the high post and put Jones on the block. I think Harrelson can hit that foul line area mid range jump shot and I think he can pass. But that is not an offense you will see UK run. He does a good job running the floor and getting cheap baskets that way. Also, I think he is getting wore down and that is part of the reason his play has slipped. I expect him to get a second wind and play better as the season goes on.

^ Harrelson's biggest contribution to this team is on man defense. He does a great job clogging up the middle and hedging picks. Offensively, he is a garbage man and in the SEC there are too many big strong interior guys for him to pick up garbage points. If you want to try and get something out of him on offense, I think you should put him at the high post and put Jones on the block. I think Harrelson can hit that foul line area mid range jump shot and I think he can pass. But that is not an offense you will see UK run. He does a good job running the floor and getting cheap baskets that way. Also, I think he is getting wore down and that is part of the reason his play has slipped. I expect him to get a second wind and play better as the season goes on.

I realize Harrelson's role but I think he takes to the extreme. I was referring to Kanter.

I realize Harrelson's role but I think he takes to the extreme. I was referring to Kanter.

Gotcha ... I believe Kanter got approval from the NCAA to be some kind of assistant the rest of the year so he can stay with the team. I think he even is allowed to work out with the team so he can get ready for the NBA draft.

Crappy loss, but feels worse because of the Ole Miss loss.

The ref's weren't great, but much better than Ole Miss IMO.

I would like some clarification on the lost contact at the beginning of the game. I think they completely botched that whole exchange, but I could be wrong. UF kid loses contact. Refs stall the game and allow UF to sub in a new player. New player goes straight to the foul line. He then goes back to the bench (I'm assuming this is because they all finally realize if the original kid leaves, then UK gets to pick the player who shoots FTs). The refs continue to stall the game while the first kid sorts himself out.

Why did they just wait around for however long the UF kid needed to replace the contact? I'm pretty sure UF didn't use a timeout.

Anyway... I really hope UK can keep 2 out of the 3 freshmen for next year. Unfortunately they're the only one's playing well.

When Knight and Jones take all the shots, its hard for anyone else to score. Knight had a good game but was wanting to do it all in his home state. Jones just wants to do it all wherever he is at.

Cal is right Jones is selfish and wants to play the wing and shot 3's all game instead of posting up and dominating. Knight was trying to tell Jones him he need to post up more. But Jones pops back out on the wing right next to lamb...lol