Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

St John's 93 Duke 78

Featured Replies

The reason for the UK hatred of Duke is two-fold. Primarily, probably about 85% of the hatred, is related to the 1992 game. If UK beats Duke, your Facebook issues don't happen.

 

Secondly, Duke is good & has been the best college program in my lifetime (30+ years). Great teams always illicit fiery emotions, so take that as a complement. Your team is very, very good.

 

Which is true but I like a good and logical discussion and it grates me when people hit my wall up just to say Duke lost. Really irritating. With those I talk smack with back and forth with I love it because those are good and funny conversations that last for ages. It's the folks that only speak to say Duke lost that grate me. May have to delete them today. I am a Laker/Kobe fan also and even though I admitted the Lakers would lose at 2pm it still didn't stop the flood of chumps who became St. John's and Celtics fans that just wanted to say 'hi' yesterday.

Edited by PurplePride92

  • Replies 66
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He did, no he wouldn't do that. I didn't see the game but on the highlights on espn I don't remember them showing that. Unbelievable that the media didn't jump all over that. :rolleyes:

 

When he used the colorful language was he surrounding the language with 'you are a' and did he use another degrading word to question a player's toughness? If you answered yes to the following question then you are correct, the media should jump on Coach K and not just Calipari.

 

However, if you answered no or I am not sure how he used the colorful language, then dare I say that the media jumped on Calipari because he was degrading players with colorful language. In the media's/public's eyes it is one thing to cuss out loud, ask a question with a cuss word, etc etc. It is different to tell a player 'you are a selfish person' and you are 'soft' and decorate the words with colorful adjectives. I am sure when they catch Coach K doing this it will be addressed on ATH and PTI and Jim Rome and OTL and what not.

 

Me personally I wish they would keep the cameras and mics away from the coaches and players. If I was Coach K I would have been fired yesterday because my emotions and frustrations would have taken over yesterday.

Edited by PurplePride92

I think part of it is Duke is supposed to be the squeaky clean model program according to most of the media. Cal drops the words he shouldn't have and it's a national story for two or three days. Mr. clean coach K does it and nothing is said about it. I know all or most all the coaches use language they shouldn't but to make a national example of Cal and then the more upstanding coach at Duke does the same thing and its kept undercover. Just like all the other instances that have happened over the years.

When he used the colorful language was he surrounding the language with 'you are a' and did he use another degrading word to talk question a player's toughness? If you answered yes to the following question then you are correct, the media should jump on Coach K and not just Calipari.

 

However, if you answered no or I am not sure how he used the colorful language then dare I say that the media jumped on Calipari because he was degrading players with colorful language. In the media's/public's eyes it is one thing to cuss out loud, ask a question with a cuss word, etc etc. It is different to tell a player 'you are a selfish person' and you are 'soft' and decorate the words with colorful adjectives. I am sure when they catch Coach K doing this it will be addressed on ATH and PTI and Jim Rome and OTL and what not.

 

Me personally I wish they would keep the cameras and mics away from the coaches and players If I was Coach K I would have been fired yesterday because my emotions and frustrations would have taken over yesterday.

Sorry we posted at the same time. So you are saying there is a good way to say the word and a bad way to say the word? They all sound the same to me, not good.

Sorry we posted at the same time. So you are saying there is a good way to say the word and a bad way to say the word? They all sound the same to me, not good.

 

Doesn't bother me at all but I understand why the fuss was made. I think Calipari was unfairly used as a scapegoat as I have seen Coach K drop many different colorful words during the course of a game and we all have seen Frank Martin in action as well. I would be shocked if less than 85% of all college coaches didn't use colorful language during the course of an intense and emotional college basketball game especially at the D-1 level.

Doesn't bother me at all but I understand why the fuss was made. I think Calipari was unfairly used as a scapegoat as I have seen Coach K drop many different colorful words during the course of a game and we all have seen Frank Martin in action as well. I would be shocked if less than 85% of all college coaches didn't use colorful language during the course of an intense and emotional college basketball game especially at the D-1 level.

 

Much ado about nothing, honestly. And I felt the same way when they were on Cal for it too.

Are these friends all Duke fans or just UK haters? I am keeping it strictly Duke/UK and all the people that post on Facebook for me are UK fans. UL fans that are my friends never say squat about Duke. The UK fans treat Duke losses like a national holiday. I would classify myself as a UK basketball hater but you won't see me celebrating UK losses in UK game threads on here or on your Facebook wall. If I hadn't posted in your game threads before I am not going to start today just because UK lost.

 

I don't know a lot of Duke fans outside of BGP, so no they aren't Duke fans... But does it matter if they're Kansas fans or North Carolina fans? I don't see how it should. The point is that like clockwork every time UK loses (be it a stacked team like last year, or an extremely mediocre team like BCG's second season) I am going to hear from them. I count on it, it happens, and I move on. It's the nature of the beast and part of being a sports fan. You won't get it from everybody, but you will get it from some people... Such is reality.

 

I can't count on one hand the amount of times I've been in North Carolina, Georgia, Virginia, Florida, or Ohio wearing a UK hoodie that at least someone didn't rib me for being a Kentucky fan. If I'm going to openly support the teams I cheer for, I've got to accept that there will be people that can't wait to rub it in when they lose, or point out to me how much they hate them. That's just life.

Many UK fans see Duke as a rival. I am not trying to sound pompous here, but there are only 3 programs that I consider "rivals" to UK for historical supremacy in college basketball - Duke, UNC and Kansas. I want to see all those teams lose every time they play. I respect them all but I root against them all. Plus, for many UK fans that Laetner stomp on you/last second shot game is their most despised game/moment in UK history.

 

I think you may have left out UCLA and maybe Indiana. I still think that you are right though were as there are not many teams that rival Kentucky's History in college basketball.

I don't know a lot of Duke fans outside of BGP, so no they aren't Duke fans... But does it matter if they're Kansas fans or North Carolina fans? I don't see how it should. The point is that like clockwork every time UK loses (be it a stacked team like last year, or an extremely mediocre team like BCG's second season) I am going to hear from them. I count on it, it happens, and I move on. It's the nature of the beast and part of being a sports fan. You won't get it from everybody, but you will get it from some people... Such is reality.

 

I can't count on one hand the amount of times I've been in North Carolina, Georgia, Virginia, Florida, or Ohio wearing a UK hoodie that at least someone didn't rib me for being a Kentucky fan. If I'm going to openly support the teams I cheer for, I've got to accept that there will be people that can't wait to rub it in when they lose, or point out to me how much they hate them. That's just life.

 

 

I just get it from UK fans. And like I said, if we talk junk back and forth it doesn't bother me at all and that's when I expect it. All the Johnny Come Latelies get on my nerves. People who only say anything to me at all when Duke loses. I can't respect sports fans like that and a day like yesterday it was louder than normal.

I just get it from UK fans. And like I said, if we talk junk back and forth it doesn't bother me at all and that's when I expect it. All the Johnny Come Latelies get on my nerves. People who only say anything to me at all when Duke loses. I can't respect sports fans like that and a day like yesterday it was louder than normal.

 

You take this stuff way too seriously then my friend. :lol:

 

If I had a friend, that I knew it bothered as much as it seems to bother you, I'd be bringing it up every chance I get.

You take this stuff way too seriously then my friend. :lol:

 

If I had a friend, that I knew it bothered as much as it seems to bother you, I'd be bringing it up every chance I get.

 

Amen... I'm a fan of the Seahawks!!!!!! And I still love harassing Bengals fans at work! :lol:

I think you may have left out UCLA and maybe Indiana. I still think that you are right though were as there are not many teams that rival Kentucky's History in college basketball.

 

You are right, I did leave them out ... intentionally. I really don't consider them in the same stature as Duke, UNC and Kansas. I know UCLA has all those titles but I just don't see them in the same light as those other 3. JMO.

You are right, I did leave them out ... intentionally. I really don't consider them in the same stature as Duke, UNC and Kansas. I know UCLA has all those titles but I just don't see them in the same light as those other 3. JMO.

 

Ah i see now and i agree 100% with you on this. UK,UCLA, Indiana, Duke, UNC and Kansas all have good historical basketball programs but the most prestigious are UK, Duke, Kansas and UNC.

I just get it from UK fans. And like I said, if we talk junk back and forth it doesn't bother me at all and that's when I expect it. All the Johnny Come Latelies get on my nerves. People who only say anything to me at all when Duke loses. I can't respect sports fans like that and a day like yesterday it was louder than normal.

I presume you live or affiliated with the state of Kentucky in some capacity, so it is natural to receive remarks from UK fans. Considering this thread provides a minimum of the bantering you and the Duke faithful are referring to (a big chunk was gt, et al.), you should be proud of your BGP brethren. :D

I had to DVR the beginning of the game yesterday, about 1:30 my phone started going crazy with texts....I knew it was bad.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.