Refs

Threads like this are very subjective and not based upon fact... just like the claim that 90% of current referees have not played the game in high school. What makes a good official or a bad official? I guess the answer depends on who watched the game and upon which team won. Based purely upon spectator opinion, I have been called terrible and good in the same game... Not sure I agreed with either, but really don't let it bother me much what folks think of my work on the floor.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Threads like this are very subjective and not based upon fact... just like the claim that 90% of current referees have not played the game in high school. What makes a good official or a bad official? I guess the answer depends on who watched the game and upon which team won. Based purely upon spectator opinion, I have been called terrible and good in the same game... Not sure I agreed with either, but really don't let it bother me much what folks think of my work on the floor.

To the team that won you called a good game, the team that lost you called a bad game. It always amuses me when a game gets ugly the opposing coaches and fans always seem to turn on the Ref's. Easy scapegoat I guess.

My quest was to see where refs come from. Are they guys that love basketball but got cut from the team or are they former players that do not have time to coach, but still want to be around?

I'm guessing that a majority of officials were players in high school that didn't make it to the next level and still wanted to be around basketball. I know several officials that this applies to.

• 2 weeks later...
I believe that refs already decide the game before they even step out on the court. It's sad when they call a foul on your player and he is not even in the game yet!!!!!!! They won't admit it, but they know who they are looking to foul!!!!

Tell us about it.

Whatever happened to 9th Region Official Jon Campbell? I never see him anymore and thought he was one of the better up and coming refs. He is a former Scott Eagle and NKU player.

Up and coming? He came and went! He is full time college, on ESPNU this past Saturday doing the Eastern KY vs. Morehead St. game.

Being a high school basketball ref has to be the worst job in the world. What other job can you work where the pay is low and you make half the people that see you work get angry at you, and compelled to yell at you, insult you, call you names, and have the belief that almost anyone else in the building could do a better job than you. Basketball is easily the toughest sport to officiate, and for the most part I think the refs do a decent job. Yes, there are some bad ones, and even the good ones sometimes miss a call. But to insinuate that refs collude to predetermine game outcomes is ridiculous. I'd like to see the loudest biggest complainers put a striped shirt on and pick up a whistle and try to call a game. If you don't like the quality of refs...do something about it...get certified and become a ref. Some of the behavior and comments I've seen at games from fans towards refs is just plain rude and uncalled for. And middle school and elementary school games are even worse than high school games.

I believe that refs already decide the game before they even step out on the court. It's sad when they call a foul on your player and he is not even in the game yet!!!!!!! They won't admit it, but they know who they are looking to foul!!!!
I have never known of any referee that ever fouled a player, as your comments would imply they have done.:lol:

Being a high school basketball ref has to be the worst job in the world. What other job can you work where the pay is low and you make half the people that see you work get angry at you, and compelled to yell at you, insult you, call you names, and have the belief that almost anyone else in the building could do a better job than you. Basketball is easily the toughest sport to officiate, and for the most part I think the refs do a decent job. Yes, there are some bad ones, and even the good ones sometimes miss a call. But to insinuate that refs collude to predetermine game outcomes is ridiculous. I'd like to see the loudest biggest complainers put a striped shirt on and pick up a whistle and try to call a game. If you don't like the quality of refs...do something about it...get certified and become a ref. Some of the behavior and comments I've seen at games from fans towards refs is just plain rude and uncalled for. And middle school and elementary school games are even worse than high school games.
attaboy :thumb: