Sayre 80 Boone County 64

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't Sayre one of the weakest teams in the 11th Region?

Yes, Sayre did appear to be very week, but the shots were falling for them tonight. Boone decided instead of relying on their bigs to take control of the game, they would jack up three's and play into a sloppy style game and ended up with "L". The "euro step" was in full stride tonight. Sayre guards were able to have a track meet through the lane without a dribble. Comical game called by the two man crew from that region.

Yes, Sayre did appear to be very week, but the shots were falling for them tonight. Boone decided instead of relying on their bigs to take control of the game, they would jack up three's and play into a sloppy style game and ended up with "L". The "euro step" was in full stride tonight. Sayre guards were able to have a track meet through the lane without a dribble. Comical game called by the two man crew from that region.

I've seen Boone play several times over the past few years, why all of a sudden are they jacking up threes when in previous years they always worked the ball to the post and didn't allow the wings and guards to even shoot threes?

Mike Smith of Sayre is one of the best young guards in the state. I wasn't at the game, but why does the officials have to be blamed. Instead realize Smith probably was just simply better on this night.

I've seen Boone play several times over the past few years, why all of a sudden are they jacking up threes when in previous years they always worked the ball to the post and didn't allow the wings and guards to even shoot threes?

I had the same exact conversation with a Boone fan at the LMIT last week....

Boone's strength is Brown down low. Not utilizing that and having Stanley, Downs, and McQueary just jack up 3's is going to get this Boone team beat more often than not. Work it inside to Brown, have the defense collapse on him, then have the big man use his court vision and find the open man outside if it's there.

My guess is that is MCQuery's strength, he is a set shooter and adds no value on D.

Boone has had some good to very good 3 point shooters the past few years and it was not part of the offense. Now they seem to have a lot of size and bulk underneath and now the three becomes part of the offense?

Brown is a major force down low and Crabtree is one of the most improved players I saw over the summer. Very few 9th Region teams can match Boone down low. Seems like shooting a lot of threes is not playing to their strength?

IMO it was an uncharacteristicly sloppy game by Boone. They seemed very flat on defense, not getting out on shooters when they were in their zones. That gave a lot of open looks that Sayre didn't miss. This forced Boone to go man and they struggled to guard the quicker Sayre players. It just was not a good match-up. Sayre many times had 4 guards on the floor and Boone had 4 post-players trying to guard them. Offensively Boone scored when they got the ball inside to Brown, but they kept getting away from that and sometimes jacking up a shot after the first pass and not working the ball inside at all. They on occasion were settling for the 3 on the fast break instead of attacking the rim. It was a back and forth game until Boone had several possessions in a row with turnovers that Sayre converted into points. This was in the 4th quarter and Boone could not recover from it. Montgomery is a huge part of thier team and this is thier first game without him. I think they will be fine once they adjust to not having him in the line-up. I talked to Travis at the game and he is doing physical therapy right now and hoping to come back this season. I hope he does.

IMO it was an uncharacteristicly sloppy game by Boone. They seemed very flat on defense, not getting out on shooters when they were in their zones. That gave a lot of open looks that Sayre didn't miss. This forced Boone to go man and they struggled to guard the quicker Sayre players. It just was not a good match-up. Sayre many times had 4 guards on the floor and Boone had 4 post-players trying to guard them. Offensively Boone scored when they got the ball inside to Brown, but they kept getting away from that and sometimes jacking up a shot after the first pass and not working the ball inside at all. They on occasion were settling for the 3 on the fast break instead of attacking the rim. It was a back and forth game until Boone had several possessions in a row with turnovers that Sayre converted into points. This was in the 4th quarter and Boone could not recover from it. Montgomery is a huge part of thier team and this is thier first game without him. I think they will be fine once they adjust to not having him in the line-up. I talked to Travis at the game and he is doing physical therapy right now and hoping to come back this season. I hope he does.

Seems like Boone is doing many things that are uncharacteristic of previous years play. Playing zone defenses, multiple players jacking up threes and not utilizing the post on every posession. Sounds like a complete different gameplan since the coaches sons are the ones playing.

Seems like Boone is doing many things that are uncharacteristic of previous years play. Playing zone defenses, multiple players jacking up threes and not utilizing the post on every posession. Sounds like a complete different gameplan since the coaches sons are the ones playing.

Yeah, last couple of years, the offense was told to pound it inside to Earls, Brown,, Lay, or whoever, and they got chastized or removed when they missed threes. Before too long, several of Boone's players were very hesitant to take threes, and it subsequently showed in their confidence and shooting. This is the year that Boone should pound the ball in the most with Brown on the post and 6'9" Crabtree inside to get rebounds.

Boone has had some good to very good 3 point shooters the past few years and it was not part of the offense. Now they seem to have a lot of size and bulk underneath and now the three becomes part of the offense?

Brown is a major force down low and Crabtree is one of the most improved players I saw over the summer. Very few 9th Region teams can match Boone down low. Seems like shooting a lot of threes is not playing to their strength?

Boone did not play to their strength the last couple of years either. They had some good guards, and the offense was more half-court motion than dribble drive or pushing the tempo.