Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Newport Central Catholic 55 Holmes 53

Featured Replies

Tight game where NewCath controlled the tempo and didn't turn the ball over. Holmes didn't hit their shots and NewCath went to the blocks with the ball when the game was on the line. The formula was stated correctly by Clyde. Not easy to do, but if you keep the game in the 50's you can beat the Bulldogs. NewCath will get better once they get in b-ball shape, Holmes should have learned a lot tonight and the experience should help them overcome this style. If not, they will see a lot of games like this. I didn't think Geisler was that athletic, but he is physical and aggressive, that will do most times.

  • Replies 61
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't think he is athletic...just big and stays underneath the basket
All you guys kill me. For one, I never saw Brock and Doellman play in t he 9th. Too busy running St. Pius girls basketball and watching my own kids, so don't tell me what I remember. Plus, I don't think they played Jake's position, so don't confuse tall men with big men. If you don't think Geisler is athletic with the ball then you don't watch him very closely. He brought the ball up against the press like a guard. He also did a half spin move and then drove to the basket and made a scoop shot like a guard. PLEASE get off the Doellman/Brock comparisons.
Jake Geisler is as athletic a big man that I can remember in the 9th not named Pittman.

 

Jake seems to be bigger than I remember last year. Probably still has some football weight yet so wait until he gets in basketball condition to see how well he plays then which will probably be by the All "A" tournament.

Rice for Holmes did not show up tonight, 0 points and very few boards. He did sit about 13 minutes the first half with 2 fouls but I don't believe he picked up the 3rd foul and he might as well have stayed on the bench the second half. Peterson did a pretty good job in Rice's abscence but he was about the only one off the bench that helped much. Palmer played a lot but couldn't throw it in the ocean tonight. He was not the same shooter tonight that I have seen in other Holmes games this season. They had a lot of good 3 looks but for some reason seemed reluctant to take them the second half.

 

Senior center Jake Giesler scored 24 points as Newport Central Catholic edged Holmes, 55-53 in a Lloyd Invitational semifinal on Wednesday.

 

Giesler poured in 10 of those points in the fourth quarter to help the Thoroughbreds erase a four-point deficit.

 

NewCath will play Fern Creek in the final at 8 p.m. on Thursday.

 

NEWCATH 11-14-11-19—55

HOLMES 11-12-17-13—53

 

NEWCATH (5-2): Buter 2 1 6, Hightchew 5 0 10, Ryan 2 1 7, Giesler 10 4 24, Miller 2 0 4, Doyle 2 0 4. Totals 23 6 55.

 

HOLMES (7-4): Peterson 5 0 10, Hayes 4 3 13, Gray 6 0 12, Greis 2 0 4, Palmer 1 0 2, Knox 1 2 4, Mayfield 3 0 6, Coston 1 0 2. Totals 23 5 53.

 

3-pointers: NCC—Ryan 2, Buter. H—Hayes 2.

Jake Geisler is as athletic a big man that I can remember in the 9th not named Pittman.

 

He's good but not even close to the most athletic big man in recent memory.

All you guys kill me. For one, I never saw Brock and Doellman play in t he 9th. Too busy running St. Pius girls basketball and watching my own kids, so don't tell me what I remember. Plus, I don't think they played Jake's position, so don't confuse tall men with big men. If you don't think Geisler is athletic with the ball then you don't watch him very closely. He brought the ball up against the press like a guard. He also did a half spin move and then drove to the basket and made a scoop shot like a guard. PLEASE get off the Doellman/Brock comparisons.

 

I can't say as to who you have and have not seen over the years but I have to agree with the others. I can think of a lot of big men more athletic than Geisler. Strong, physical yes but able to put it on the floor and make great athletic moves, not now but maybe when he gets his basketball legs under him. He is a good looking player but not currently what I would call athletic.

IMG_2127.jpg

 

IMG_2142.jpg

I don't think he is athletic...just big and stays underneath the basket

 

Whatever you want to call him, Geisler works his tail off the entire game without the benefit of a rest. He's a serious load that dominates on defense by altering or blocking anything that's near him. He's not shy about putting the ball on the floor and taking it strong to the hole, where quite often he is money. He's also a big guy that can hit his free throws. You don't see that too often. Every team should be so lucky to have a Geisler on their squad and every team that has to go up against him has their work cut out for them. Very smart unselfish player that gives his all every minute of the game and is a difference maker. If I'm the coach, I'll take a Geisler on my team any day. He's 'The Man' every time he hits the floor and you can always count on him to get the job done. :thumb:

Nice picks Panda but there is already another thread on this game.

Whatever you want to call him, Geisler works his tail off the entire game without the benefit of a rest. He's a serious load that dominates on defense by altering or blocking anything that's near him. He's not shy about putting the ball on the floor and taking it strong to the hole, where quite often he is money. He's also a big guy that can hit his free throws. You don't see that too often. Every team should be so lucky to have a Geisler on their squad and every team that has to go up against them has their work cut out for them. Very smart unselfish player that gives his all every minute of the game and is a difference maker. If I'm the coach, I'll take a Geisler on my team any day. He's 'The Man' every time he hits the floor and you can always count on him to get the job done. :thumb:

 

No argument here.

All you guys kill me. For one, I never saw Brock and Doellman play in t he 9th. Too busy running St. Pius girls basketball and watching my own kids, so don't tell me what I remember. Plus, I don't think they played Jake's position, so don't confuse tall men with big men. If you don't think Geisler is athletic with the ball then you don't watch him very closely. He brought the ball up against the press like a guard. He also did a half spin move and then drove to the basket and made a scoop shot like a guard. PLEASE get off the Doellman/Brock comparisons.

 

Mike Brock absolutely played down low. Doellman was more of a guard / forward.

 

How big is Geisler?

IMG_2146.jpg
Mike Brock absolutely played down low. Doellman was more of a guard / forward.

 

How big is Geisler?

 

I believe he is listed at 6'7".

IMG_2127.jpg

No way anyone saying Jake Geisler is not athletic saw him play against the very athletic Bulldogs tonight. The kid is athletic. Period end of story. Want to come up with your list of more athletic centers, start your own thread and have a ball.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.