Holmes 64 Ryle 53

Walter

Ryle hurt by Vollet going out in the first quarter with a sprained ankle and not returning. Big loss for the Raiders, not sure how long he will be out. Also, Ryle shot themselves in the foot going 8-19 from the foul line, ouch!

Stauffer with a huge game. Holmes had no answer for him. Zero blocking out by the Bulldogs. Better start working on this in practice. Any word on why Mullins was sitting the entire third. Looked like he was having a fun time down at the end of the bench with Vollet.

Ryle hurt by Vollet going out in the first quarter with a sprained ankle and not returning. Big loss for the Raiders, not sure how long he will be out. Also, Ryle shot themselves in the foot going 8-19 from the foul line, ouch!

IMG_1930.jpg

IMG_1960.jpg

Most of those misses were by the big man, Stauffer.

Final from the second round of the Lloyd Memorial.

Anyone with details? Sounds like Holmes played well.

Holmes did not play very well imo. They were very sloppy with the the ball and didn't attack the Ryle zone very aggressively. Knox did not play as well as I have seen him play lately, maybe it was the size of Stauffer and the packed in zone but he was too far under all night long and got shoved out of position repeatedly. Rice was absent at stretches on the glass and Mayfield had quite a few unforced turnovers. Holmes missed a ton of free throws as well early but did hit them down the stretch when it got tight. It looks like they want Hayes and Gray on the line in crunch time. Holmes also looked reluctant to shoot some wide open 3s but maybe that was Booher's decision to try to work the ball more against the zone. Holmes played 9 players with Palmer, Peterson, getting a lot of minutes and Lewis seeing time in both halves. Coston played a few minutes as well. I'll be curious to see stats.

Box Score:

HOLMES: 13-14-15-21–63

RYLE: 7-16-18-13–54

RYLE (7-6): Stauffer 10 5 25, James 4 0 8, Mullins 2 2 7, Perkins 2 0 4, Vollet 2 0 4, Mays 1 0 3, King 0 1 1, Scott 1 0 2. Totals: 22 8 54.

HOLMES (7-3): Hayes 7 5 20, Rice 5 1 12, Gray 1 7 9, Knox 2 2 6, Peterson 3 0 6, Palmer 2 0 4, Mayfield 0 3 3, Coston 1 0 2, Lewis 0 1 1. Totals: 21 19 63.

3-pointers: R – Mullins, Mays. H – Hayes, Rice.

Holmes FG%: 46.6 (21 of 45)

Ryle FG%: 44 percent (22 of 50)

Holmes had 20 points off 15 Ryle turnovers.

It's probably futile to discuss the 'could've beens' and 'what ifs' regarding Vollet going down early, but he's a big boy and made an impressive strong move to the basket, cashing in just a split second before going down. I think we'd be talking about a whole different game had he not gone down. The loss of his size factor I think would've given the Bulldogs more troubles. Stauffer then had to take on the big man load all by himself the rest of the way. He kept them in it and Ryle truly could've won if the Raider's hadn't had such a horrendous night at the line. I like Booher's style of play and how he gets his guys to play disciplined ball for 32 minutes, but I think this game did expose some of the Bulldog's weaknesses with lack of size being the most obvious. They make up for it a bit with their leaping abilities, but I see it giving them trouble down the road. If these two teams happen to meet again in the Regionals, and if Ryle is at full strength, I tend to believe that Ryle would have the upper hand. All in all it wasn't exactly a pretty game. Games involving Ryle rarely ever are. Tough defensive struggles can be rather frustrating and painful to watch.